Sign in to follow this  
Eurocupracing

How fast for a stock 540 motor? and 17 turn?

I can't comment on a 17T motor, but I just replaced the standard "pink" 14T in my Dyna Storm with an Orion Orbital 2 Pro BB 13 x 3 and it absolutely flies now. It's far too fast for my ability - just how I like it!

Try the 17T version of that, I think you'll be happy!

20 mph is a little high for a 540 Mabuchi. Maybe 14 or 13 mph with bearings, but 20 is a little too much.

Try the 17 turn motor, with almost any brand you´ll get pleasant results if your previous experience has only been with Mabuchi stockers.

I have a 13 turn Speed Gems 2 with a Novak sport and a 3000 battery pac. I'ts in a modified monster truck (lowerd Traxxas SledgeHammer), with taller gears and runs 35+..... wheelies the entire time. (not as fast as a buggy or stadium truck....but funny as heck).

your speed controller and battery selection have alot more to do with it than you may think. And if your trying to race, your gonna be limited.

weight reduction, ball racing, and fine tuning will give you the advantage in this situation.

what are you running it in?

It would depend on the car.

I've done some speed tests with a radar gun and similar motors:

1) Thundershot, bearings, 540 motor and 7.2v pack = 12mph

2) Thundershot, bearings, Reedy 19t quad spec and 7.2v = 18mph

3) Thundershot, bearings, 540 motor and 8.4v pack =17mph

4) Thundershot, bearings, Reedy 19t quad spec and 8.4v = 24mph

5) Thundershot, bearings, 13t Dyna Run super touring motor, 8.4v = 34mph

6) Thundershot, heavily modified and in 2WD with all front transmission removed, 13t Dyna Run super touring motor, 9.6v = 43mph

This is an old buggy with poor design/poor efficiency transmission. In a modern touring car I'd expect better results but it gives you an idea of the spread of speed over the motors.

The gearing wasn't the same for all the motors because I couldn't run the higher gearing with the 13t motor, in fact this was with the 15t pinion. The 540 and Reedy both pulled the 17t pinions. The ESC was a cheap no limit unit. The battery packs were Sanyo 2000 NiCD in 7.2v, 8.4v and 9.6v forms. The tests were carried out on a straight bit of smooth tarmac down our street and we did just a couple of runs per car. The speeds posted are the fastest we could record. In most cases we only achieved this once and couldn't match it again due to the battery losing charge after just one run and motor getting very hot etc, etc!!

Test 6 above was a one off, the car twisted and snapped a dogbone on the second run and I never carried out another test with the car in that same spec. It has since reverted to 4WD as it was undrivable in 2WD.

Test 3 is my daughters basher and it has run in that spec for a year with no real damage due to the hotter motor or battery. It has simply been upgraded to a Mtroniks sport RV15 for its waterproofness. No gearbox failures or driveshaft problems yet.

Test 5/6 is my basher thundershot spec and is not used so much. The car has way too much power and breakages are common - unlikely to last more than 5 minutes use before dogbones snap or it breaks suspension parts. It is a laugh while it last though.

For race use you would need a combination that also lasted a full 4 or 5 minutes and one where the motor or ESC didn't overheat. The test above were with insane gearing in a simple straight line run. They wouldn't last 2 minutes around a track without going up in smoke. The 9.6v car consumed a whole battery charge in just 2 minutes use!!!! (The stock 540/7.2v gives over 20 minutes runtime)

Oh to be fair though, those results may be on the low side. We used the same radar gun for all the test but we have since tried to speed test some nitro buggies at Clumber park using the same gun. Despite the manufacturer claims of 40+mph we could only record low 30's. We weren't sure if it was the radar gun that was reading low or the fact that the low slung buggy shell was difficult to get a 'clean' target on? All of my tests above were carried out with quite large touring car shells.

We also clocked my Pajero converted thundershot running a mag meyhem 22t motor and 8.4v at 18+mph despite it being caked in mud and not running at its best so it could be that the larger the shell the more accurate the reading????