MAD RACER

BanDai Interceptor 4wd. Hot Shot copy in a way!

I bought this time capsule back a year al so.

I was on the hunt for more then 12 months and came across this here in OZ. Starting bid was at $150 I was the only bidder and wasn't going to pay a cent more. I have plans of giving it a full rebuild some day with better oil shocks and bearings of course .

The suspension set seems quite good and seems to be sturdy enough still. All arms and suspension components are nylon as well as a good bumper. Mid Ship mounted motor and twin diffs seem to all turn freely. I thought this would have a basic esc for a RTR but it has a resistor block so it must have a MSC inside.

I'm just happy to have it in my collection.

P8090049_zpse8ba68ba.jpg

P8090050_zps952ad15e.jpg

P8090047_zps85c81085.jpg

• Like 3

It's a Bandai, one of the bigger toy factories in the world.

Max

Scored one of these myself. It's in a rather poor but it has potential ;) I wonder if someone has a manual or diagram for this?

I think so too, to be honest. Wonder about the shocks. Seen a few with the golden ones. Don't know if they were some kind of hop up, official or inofficial. Very little info to be found about these cars.

I like the shocks. Look like threaded Kyosho Golds but they don't exist.

Have you run it at all?

Haven't run it yet. But it seems to be functional. Didn't have time to open it up and check its guts yet. There are some obvious issues though. The pushrods in the rear suspension are shortened for some reason and needs replacing. And the wheels are wrong of course.

The shocks kind of looks like ayk sidewinder shocks, apart from the colour (red).

Found new sets of wheels for this on ebay. Actually they are for the Monogram Tornado but I guess they're all the same.

I got an intercepter this summer and took it a vintage race in germany. Threw out the rtr electronics and replaced it with a proper servo, 2.4ghz receiver and oldschool brushed esc. Took out the cantilevers and put some old touring shocks. Replaced the hard body with a piece of tamiya lexan … and that was it: time to get over there. 

It wasn’t quick and quite loud but behaved and held up throughout the entire event. Despite the wet track, stock tires and very bouncy suspension it was the most fun out of the 3 cars I ran. 

I have since invested in ball bearings, revised the shock setup and chassis reinforcements, moved the body forward and mounted the supercool mx4 wheels.

How do you like it?

AB118BBF-92FA-4B70-A064-1D7249064B0E.jpeg

08D25BA6-0C07-4237-B559-F3E80EDDE848.jpeg

C24C2422-479B-442C-84FF-B2DD58061551.jpeg

CB470C0D-9C65-485B-AAB1-18B6BCEAB5EF.jpeg

4A7D4D86-7358-4DA4-A861-380F05271823.jpeg

• Like 3