Pintopower

AMPro ORV Chassis Upgrades and...err...upgraded upgrades?

Where do you buy your M3 treaded rod??? I would like to get some and also wondering if you double nutted/jam nutted two m3 nuts onto the middle of the rod, would that act like a turnbuckle then??

1 hour ago, Crash Cramer said:

Where do you buy your M3 treaded rod??? I would like to get some and also wondering if you double nutted/jam nutted two m3 nuts onto the middle of the rod, would that act like a turnbuckle then??

Turnbuckles have reversed threading on one end.  So when you turn it, is loosens (or tightens) both ends.  A normal threaded rod will loosen at one end while tightening at the other...

I've had good luck with the DuBro 4/40 Turnbuckles...  They (sometimes) come with a wrench and they are super easy to fine-adjust...  

BTW, M3 and 4/40 are very similar in diameter (0.118 vs. 0.112), so you should be able to use M3 ball-ends on a 4/40 rod...  The threading won't line up right, but you should be able to chew through that...

Terry

17 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Turnbuckles have reversed threading on one end.  So when you turn it, is loosens (or tightens) both ends.  A normal threaded rod will loosen at one end while tightening at the other...

I've had good luck with the DuBro 4/40 Turnbuckles...  They (sometimes) come with a wrench and they are super easy to fine-adjust...  

BTW, M3 and 4/40 are very similar in diameter (0.118 vs. 0.112), so you should be able to use M3 ball-ends on a 4/40 rod...  The threading won't line up right, but you should be able to chew through that...

Terry

Oh yea, forgot that one end is reversed threaded.I have used 4/40 in the past, but don't like blending it with Tamiya all the time.

1 hour ago, Crash Cramer said:

Oh yea, forgot that one end is reversed threaded.I have used 4/40 in the past, but don't like blending it with Tamiya all the time.

Yeah, its the only "imperial" part I have on my Jumper...  I tried some HPI M3 turnbuckles on my car, but one of them snapped.  The DuBros were a quick and cheap replacement...

Terry

4 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Yeah, its the only "imperial" part I have on my Jumper...  I tried some HPI M3 turnbuckles on my car, but one of them snapped.  The DuBros were a quick and cheap replacement...

Terry

Quick and cheap, that's my middle name, oh wait, it's actually FRUGAL. :D

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GregM said:

gpgp01, usually Pinto's parts are available in a wide variety of colors on Shapeways. So I'm sure this rollcage won't be an exception from the rule.

Yes, I hope so as you said. I saw the former rollcage for Hornet and Superfly at Shapeway was offered only two colors(white, black) selection, thus having wondered if there are any technical reasons about it.

I wish various colors (yellow, red etc) could be chosen when the new rollcage come out.:)

4 hours ago, gpgp01 said:

Yes, I hope so as you said. I saw the former rollcage for Hornet and Superfly at Shapeway was offered only two colors(white, black) selection, thus having wondered if there are any technical reasons about it.

I wish various colors (yellow, red etc) could be chosen when the new rollcage come out.:)

It has something to do with the size of the printed part. They can print it and dye it but not polish it. (at the moment... It could change as tech improves.)

• Like 1

Thanks! I didn't know about that.

On 5/18/2017 at 3:09 AM, GregM said:

Pinto, I'm in the market for one Hornet rollcage, too. :)

gpgp01, usually Pinto's parts are available in a wide variety of colors on Shapeways. So I'm sure this rollcage won't be an exception from the rule.

Glad you like it!

Actually....it is an exception....The cage sadly is too large to by dyed at shapeways so only white and black are available. However, technically they area all white and then dyed (included the black) but the nylon responds amazing to paint. I paint most of my nylon parts. 

On 5/18/2017 at 6:13 AM, Crash Cramer said:

Hey Alberto, cool project, you forgot to put Ampro on the second piece of the servo mount, just sayin' :P also, No Disassemble Johnny Five :D

Second piece? Oh god I am not taking that apart again! Did you like how I hid all the electronics?

On 5/17/2017 at 10:24 PM, gpgp01 said:

The rollcage for the stock hornet body looks great. (If anyone want to watch this, 6:05 in the video)

Would it(rollcage) be released only with white color? Can other colors be possible?

I've just read you are going to South Korea. I hope your business will succeed.

Thank you! I am going there to over see the soft tooling for a product I designed so I too hope it works...since I have no one to blame if it does not....

On 5/18/2017 at 6:17 AM, Crash Cramer said:

McMaster.com but eBay works too. 

11 hours ago, gpgp01 said:

Yeah I wish they could do colors but I spray painted SuperFly's in low gloss black and SuperFly 2 is getting one in orange. They spray paints work awesome on the nylon. 

For some reason, ALL of my big wheel ORV motor mounts are broken. That is 4 of them. Then my Brat that uses it to also has a broken one. Well I am tired of it. Fixed.