i_am_scarecrow

Super Sabre to Boomerang conversion

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding the above mentioned cars. I have never owned either car but have the chance to bag a Super Sabre chassis that needs some tlc. The chassis' for both cars look very similar, are they?

I'd love to have the look of a Boomerang so I'm hoping that body shell will pop straight on the SS chassis, is that likely?

Failing that were there any other cars that shared the SS chassis?

Many thanks,

Shane

Yeah they are twins - just different color shocks and different bodies... and a few other bits and bobs being red instead of blue. Morphologically, however, other than the bodies/decals they are identical.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you very much!

I feel a another new project will be heading in my direction shortly :)

• Like 2

I think there might be one difference mechanically. If I remember right, the Boomerang uses "long" CVA shocks at the rear with the appropriate shock tower, while the Super Sabre uses "short" CVA shocks. This was done on the Super Sabre to clear the low mounted wing on the body I think.

• Like 4

I think there might be one difference mechanically. If I remember right, the Boomerang uses "long" CVA shocks at the rear with the appropriate shock tower, while the Super Sabre uses "short" CVA shocks. This was done on the Super Sabre to clear the low mounted wing on the body I think.

Good catch! I double checked and you're right. It took me a while to get the lengths for the different -shot series buggies straight, so given the topic is open I've listed them all below. Please let me know if anyone spots any errors and I will update the list.

• Supershot: Front = 2-short-yellow; Rear = 2-long-yellow
  • Hotshot II: Front = 1-short-red; Rear = 2-short-red
  • Boomerang: Front = 1-short-yellow; Rear = 2-long-yellow
  • Super Sabre: Front = 1-short-red; Rear = 2-short-red
  • Thundershot: Front = 1-short-yellow; Rear = 2-short-yellow
  • Fire Dragon: Front = 2-mini-yellow; Rear = 2-short-yellow
  • Thunder Dragon: Front = 1-short-yellow; Rear = 2-short-yellow
  • Terra Scorcher: Front = 2-mini-yellow; Rear = 2-short-yellow
  • Like 5

Good catch! I double checked and you're right. It took me a while to get the lengths for the different -shot series buggies straight, so given the topic is open I've listed them all below. Please let me know if anyone spots any errors and I will update the list.

• Supershot: Front = 2-short-yellow; Rear = 2-long-yellow
  • Hotshot II: Front = 1-short-red; Rear = 2-short-red
  • Boomerang: Front = 1-short-yellow; Rear = 2-long-yellow
  • Super Sabre: Front = 1-short-red; Rear = 2-short-red
  • Thundershot: Front = 1-short-yellow; Rear = 2-short-yellow
  • Fire Dragon: Front = 2-mini-yellow; Rear = 2-short-yellow
  • Thunder Dragon: Front = 1-short-yellow; Rear = 2-short-yellow
  • Terra Scorcher: Front = 2-mini-yellow; Rear = 2-short-yellow
i guess the list is flawelss, the hotshot ii and the super sabre were the only cars to be equipped with red dampers (ever), all others wore yellow

@ scarecrow: i have an old sabre on the shelf waiting for some cosmetic and visceral surgery. got a new lexan body and some spare parts mostly from more advanced cars like the thundershot etc.

i really enjoyed driving the super sabre and i am sure you will, too.

• Like 2

That's great guys, thank you.

So next question then, does the Boomerang's rear shock tower simply bolt straight on the Super Sabre, I'm guessing yes?

• Like 1

As you can see, there is a central locator for each rear tower, each a different shape, you'll just need both the tower and the locator

IMG_1428_zpsi0ygpfhc.jpg

IMG_1429_zpse3if1mdb.jpg

IMG_1430_zpskp432thy.jpg

• Like 2

Awesome, thanks for taking time to take some pics matey, I can see exactly what I'm dealing with now.

The deal has been done and the car is mine for a great price so I'll certainly be doing a Boomerang conversion.

The deal has been done and the car is mine for a great price so I'll certainly be doing a Boomerang conversion.

Hey, I'd be keen to take the red Super Sabre parts off your hands then :) Let me know if your not holding on to them ^_^ Oh & I have a heap of Boomerang parts (good used) I could trade :)

• Like 1

Looks like this worked out for everyone ....

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks for taking time to take some pics matey, I can see exactly what I'm dealing with now.

If you want a set of new front knuckles - happy to 'donate' them as unlikely I'll buy another Boomer.

• Like 1

Isn't this site awesome?

Percymon that would be fantastic, thank you!

Chevelle I'd certainly be up for trading the red parts for the blue. I'll give you a shout when it arrives and I've checked the quality out. I guess we'll have to get some shipping costs sorted but we'll worry about that nearer the time. Should be here in a week or so.

• Like 2

Isn't this site awesome?

Percymon that would be fantastic, thank you!

send me a pm with your postal address ;)

• Like 1

As you can see, there is a central locator for each rear tower, each a different shape, you'll just need both the tower and the locator

i saw the boomerang got universal shafts, very nice.

@ scarecrow: you should get some, too. great improvememt over the original parts. also some would recommend installing the thundershot joint cups, as well as supershot drive cups + propeller. then you could opt for crp #1650 ( a arm stabilizer), that is by chance available on evil bay at the moment.

if you want to convert the boomerang front from single to double shocks you could get this upgrade:

https://www.radshaperc.com/product/boomerang-and-hotshot-dual-front-suspension-conversion-v2

and if you dont like the original bumper get this one:

https://www.radshaperc.com/product/boomerang-front-bumper-upgrade

if you want a wing upgrade, go to the bay and purchase "You-G Duralmin Rear Wing Set for Tamiya Boomerang".

maybe there are more upgrades/hopups out there for the boomerang/super sabre??

• Like 1

Thank you Dangerseeker it seems there are plenty of parts to upgrade!

Whilst on that topic, aside from the rear spoiler mentioned above, was there a larger Tamiya option rear spoiler for the Boomerang or was that a different model entirely?

I think the larger spoiler option may have been the Thundershot ?

Dangerseeker, I will post a picture later of the front end of my Super Sabre, front uni's and a CRP 1650 arm stabilizer

• Like 1

Went through my parts box looking for this tonight :o It's a YOU-G rear tower/wing mount upgrade for the Boomerang :)

20160330_214611.jpg

20160330_214627.jpg

• Like 4

I'm liking that!

We'll, we will just have to add it to our trade :D

• Like 1

Is there something like that available for the Super Sabre?

I would say so, but I don't know so :blink: Of course it would only be the alloy shock tower as there is no need for a wing mount, since that's part of the body :P

Not exactly difficult to make your own from some alloy plate or CF sheet - the outline of the basic shape s in the Tamiya manual, just a case of scaling this correctly based on the actual hole spacing, transfer across to the material and a bit of cutting and filing to shape the piece

Not exactly difficult to make your own from some alloy plate or CF sheet - the outline of the basic shape s in the Tamiya manual, just a case of scaling this correctly based on the actual hole spacing, transfer across to the material and a bit of cutting and filing to shape the piece

I could try to cut it out of some CF sheet and could use the original tower as stencil. the question that remains: does it make any difference CF tower vs plastic tower for the Super Sabre ? :blink: