Sign in to follow this  
Andyrt200

2.4GHZ with 27mhz crystal flexibility for mutiple cars

I've got 10 or so cars that are mostly on the old 27mhz. I have been wanting to swap to 2.4G for all of them really mainly because my six year old boy keeps snapping the aerials!

The problem is we both drive all of them & my 4 year old girl is staring to take an interest now too, at the moment I just help her if she's out with us so we just have two 27mhz TXs & as many different crystals in the cars as we can so we can just swap the crystals in the TX sets to drive the different cars together.

I had an Etronix Pulse 2.4G wheel type TX set but didn't real like the wheel & was rather annoyed to find it still needed 8AA batteries, but the the steering pot got wet somehow & its stopped working. I had a load of different receivers for that but as my boy was getting to want to drive by him self back then it was becoming a real pain getting two working cars that could run together in a hurry. Hence my swap back to 27mhz for the flexibility of running any combination of different cars in a hurry.

But now both my old Acoms Techniplus TX sets have given up in quick succession. I have got Carson Reflex Stick PRO 2.4G with two receivers in different cars, the EPA on the steering is very good value but it seems quite flimsy if my boy drops it things fall off it & I'm often having to strip it to put springs back on is side, so I'm not sure about getting any more of them.

As far as I can see if we want to be able to drive any combination of the different cars quickly (running with at least two TX sets & two cars at once) with 2.4G TXs I'd need to have a different TX set for every car, is that right? For the two different 2.4G sets I've had so far I'd need to have the same RX in every car then re-bind it with one of two matching TX sets before taking that car out (I've only ever had one type of 2.4G TX set so haven't tried). I don't want to do that as I run a lot of the RXs in sealed bags to keep the water out & most of the cars have batteries that come out with out removing the bodies so don't want to have to do that either.

I guess there may be some top end TX sets that you can store different bindings with the car memories that are stored in the TX sets are there? I don't want to have any that cost too much as it will get dropped, quite a lot! If there were any budget sets that did that is would be perfect, but I suspect getting two different (matching) TX sets to bind with the same RX may be asking too much?

I'm also looking for a 3ch unit that will work the rear steering on my Clod I'm converting to servo on axle, something that did that as well would be very good, any suggestions?

ok, you should be able to bind more than 1 rx to 1 tx, but you will need to split the cars across both tx's so 5 cars having their rx's bound to 1 tx, and the remaining 5 on another tx, just keep in mind you'll need to adjust the trims each time you change cars unless you buy a computer based TX that has model memory.

As for the clod, are you planing to change the steering method, like do you want the option of doing 4ws and on the fly change to front only, rear only, or even crab steering and then back to 4ws? or do you just want to get full time locked to 4ws?

if you want the bells and whistles you'll need to go for a flysky gt3b/c and do some mods, or go for a 4 channel radio that can do channel mixing, or if your happy to cycle through modes you could pick up the TX from hobby king for their 1/24th scale rock crawler.

If you just want to lock into 4ws with 2 servos, then you can just pick up a servo Y lead and a servo reverser, both of which are available on hobby king or ebay, and just use a basic 2 channel radio for it.

I have one of these

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23165__Turnigy_GTX3_AFHDS_2_4ghz_3_Channel_Radio_System.html

which was key £25 and you can have a preset for each car including road and dual rate and servo reverse. The extra ex are only a few quid. I runs about 10 cars of the one TX and the rest of another TX. No need to re bind just have ten TX bound to each TX. You can actually bind as many as you want to each but you can only store ten presets. Easier to adjust the settings on the TX than re bond anyway. Has made life so much better and at that price a no brainier. There are sets for cheaper if you don't want the presettings stores as low as £15 including an RX. If you want stick controllers your choose is limited a bit.

Thanks for the quick replies.

ok, you should be able to bind more than 1 rx to 1 tx, but you will need to split the cars across both tx's so 5 cars having their rx's bound to 1 tx, and the remaining 5 on another tx, just keep in mind you'll need to adjust the trims each time you change cars unless you buy a computer based TX that has model memory.

I had 4 RXs bound to my old wheel type RX, that was fine, but it's sods law that if you have 4 or 5 bound to the same RX it's two of those five you want to take out at the same time & you can't (as far as I can tell)

I have one of these

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23165__Turnigy_GTX3_AFHDS_2_4ghz_3_Channel_Radio_System.html

which was key £25 and you can have a preset for each car including road and dual rate and servo reverse. The extra ex are only a few quid. I runs about 10 cars of the one TX and the rest of another TX. No need to re bind just have ten TX bound to each TX. You can actually bind as many as you want to each but you can only store ten presets. Easier to adjust the settings on the TX than re bond anyway. Has made life so much better and at that price a no brainier. There are sets for cheaper if you don't want the presettings stores as low as £15 including an RX. If you want stick controllers your choose is limited a bit.

The "channel hopping technology" mentioned in that link sounds interesting.

What I really want is the RXs set to one frequency, different for every car & a TX that will switch to the correct frequency for each car, just like having different 27mhz crystals in each car.

Mind you of there are sets for £15 getting one for every car may be best! The only thing is I got stuck very badly with import duty last time I used Hobby King :(

The "channel hopping technology" mentioned in that link sounds interesting.

What I really want is the RXs set to one frequency, different for every car & a TX that will switch to the correct frequency for each car, just like having different 27mhz crystals in each car.

Mind you of there are sets for £15 getting one for every car may be best! The only thing is I got stuck very badly with import duty last time I used Hobby King :(

use the UK warehouse option, that will avoid the import charges, and it's mostly the VAT afaik

Thanks for the quick replies.

I had 4 RXs bound to my old wheel type RX, that was fine, but it's sods law that if you have 4 or 5 bound to the same RX it's two of those five you want to take out at the same time & you can't (as far as I can tell)

you could run 2 cars off the 1 TX, it will be funny for a while, then the wallet pains will strike as one goes flying into that little creek filled with water just over the rise as the second goes screaming out on the road and get's collected by that 1 lone lorry that suddenly decided that road was the right one for it to travel along

As for the clod, are you planing to change the steering method, like do you want the option of doing 4ws and on the fly change to front only, rear only, or even crab steering and then back to 4ws? or do you just want to get full time locked to 4ws?

if you want the bells and whistles you'll need to go for a flysky gt3b/c and do some mods, or go for a 4 channel radio that can do channel mixing, or if your happy to cycle through modes you could pick up the TX from hobby king for their 1/24th scale rock crawler.

If you just want to lock into 4ws with 2 servos, then you can just pick up a servo Y lead and a servo reverser, both of which are available on hobby king or ebay, and just use a basic 2 channel radio for it.

On the fly would be nice, but I think cycling though modes would be fine, I'll have a look at the hobbyking one, thanks :)

use the UK warehouse option, that will avoid the import charges, and it's mostly the VAT afaik

you could run 2 cars off the 1 TX, it will be funny for a while, then the wallet pains will strike as one goes flying into that little creek filled with water just over the rise as the second goes screaming out on the road and get's collected by that 1 lone lorry that suddenly decided that road was the right one for it to travel along

They didn't have the stuff I wanted in the UK warehouse last time, but if I use them again I'll only order it if they do!

We have a little creek at the back of the field & a big pond, running two cars from the same TX at the same time stops

being funny very quickly ;)

You could have 2 rx installed in each car. They are much smaller than the 27mhz RX and cheap enough. If you want to get really clever you could wire in a switch so both are wired up and you can switch to the desired TX at the flick of a switch.

Do the same for each car if necessary. Just a few servo y leads and a switch is necessary.

Out of interest how many vehicles do you have.

You could have 2 rx installed in each car. They are much smaller than the 27mhz RX and cheap enough. If you want to get really clever you could wire in a switch so both are wired up and you can switch to the desired TX at the flick of a switch.

Do the same for each car if necessary. Just a few servo y leads and a switch is necessary.

Out of interest how many vehicles do you have.

That is a good idea!

I've only got 10 cars though & quite a few of those are my originals from the late 80s so they tend to be in bits getting fixed most of the time. So I think probably five different TX units each bound to two different RXs should give enough flexibility.

• Like 1

I guess this is the unit for cycling though steering modes http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store /uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=92511

Sounds perfect, in the UK store too, I could do with a new RX unit for my old kyosho rc bike that had a combined speed controller & RX. I'm sure the Combined RX wouldn't do the clods twin 540s but it sounds like I can just connect my old ESC to it & go.

• Like 1

that be the one, the included unit won't handle the clod, it's made for small scale usage, so not sure how it will do with the bike, for the clod you just need to get a different RX, pretty sure someone has pointed out which one in the comments for the radio, or you can hit ebay, this one was the cheapest I found when searching http://www.ebay.com/itm/291596703716?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

that rx has arrived, yet i'm still waiting for the radio to arrive, paid for it 4ish weeks ago from international warehouse, so I can't confirm that the rx will work properly with the radio, least not yet

• Like 1

that be the one, the included unit won't handle the clod, it's made for small scale usage, so not sure how it will do with the bike, for the clod you just need to get a different RX, pretty sure someone has pointed out which one in the comments for the radio, or you can hit ebay, this one was the cheapest I found when searching http://www.ebay.com/itm/291596703716?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

that rx has arrived, yet i'm still waiting for the radio to arrive, paid for it 4ish weeks ago from international warehouse, so I can't confirm that the rx will work properly with the radio, least not yet

Thanks for that, I hadn't read it properly & didn't realize it needed a different RX unit. I've ordered both now, they didn't have any in stock so I found one with the same description as your link on ebay. Have to see which gets here first, I'll post back to say if it works or not.

On 17/04/2016 at 3:08 PM, Darat76 said:

Have yours turned up yet? My TX came with in two days, but the RX from eBay only just came today. However it won't bind with the that TX http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store /uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=92511 

That ebay link you put up had sold out so I found this one that sounded like it was the same thing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301901141962?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As it goes the case of the RX is exactly the same as my  http://www.etronix-rc.com/radio-gear/rc-receivers/etronix-pulse-gfsk-3ch-2-4ghz-receiver so I tried binding every comb of them all, but only the etronix gear worked together & non of the other stuff did.

I see hobbyking have got the correct RX in stock now, but in the international warehouse so I need to check I'm not going to get stung on import duty before ordering that!

Mean time I got one of these:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/tactic-rc-ttx300-3-channel-slt-radio/rc-car-products/388540

It works quite well, it has 3rd channel buttons by your thumb on the handle, they can be programmed in a number of ways, I set them to toggle between straight, full left or full right. That worked quite well for the rear as I now have very good front servo on axle steering for proper steering & then much more if I want from the rear with the buttons. I takes quite a bit of getting used to & my boy doesn't like it, he just uses the normal steering. So I really want to get the other to work as I think that will be better, getting the rear to steer with the front proportionally most of time but with option of mucking about. Steering the rear the same way as the front gets boring very quickly!      

My have turned up, and are working fine, couple of minor trim issues, but nothing major at all.

The binding process can be badword if you don't have a 6v battery supply that you can plug directly into the second channel, as most esc's will now just shut down power to the bec and the motor if a signal is not detected by the rx.

my process was, connect 2 servo's, 1 to channel 1, and the second to channel 3, connect the bind plug to the binding port, set the tx into bind mode, and plugged my rx battery pack from my nitro directly into channel 2, the rx flashed it's lights, settle down, steering input worked perfectly, removed the rx battery pack, took out the bind plug, plugged the battery pack back in, and double checked operation. some days after that I got the rx installed into my clod, and have been happy since. The one glitch I have gotten is the throttle trim seemed to drift forward causing the clod to creep forward with no actual input from the trigger. It occurs to me know that switching steering modes could be giving enough movement to make contact for the throttle trim.

I just double checked, the RX you linked is the same one as the one I got, so if it's not working it could be a bad RX, or there might be an issue with the tx, try getting plain power (other than from an esc's bec) and a servo or 2 that is spare (or even the ones in your truck) and just make sure that the rx has bound to the tx and it's not an issue caused by the esc

• Like 1

Ah thanks very much :D

I thought the bind port was channel 3. It seemed to say that on the sticker & it is that one on my etronix RX that had the identical case. I took it from what you said you used the top connection (looking at it with the antenna off to the left) for binding? So gave that a try, the light on the RX did keep flashing, but at a different rate after a few seconds so I powered them both down, pulled out the bind plug, power them back up & it worked :)

Luckily my ESC did give power with out problems as it powered the etronix RX fine when I was testing the binding on that one.

One very good test drive later & all is still good. I didn't notice any problems with the trim like you had. We didn't change the steering modes that often though & only when it was stopped. I guess if you try to do it when driving it would be easy to hit the trim buttons. 

The only thing I can't workout is how to reverse channel 3. The crab driving & normal 4 wheel steering modes are reversed, doesn't really matter all four modes work just not quite in the right order. The steering servo revers switch just makes the front wheels go the wrong way. 

Also now that set up is working its freed up a radio set so I'm getting very close to having all the cars working again!

11 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

The only thing I can't workout is how to reverse channel 3. The crab driving & normal 4 wheel steering modes are reversed, doesn't really matter all four modes work just not quite in the right order. The steering servo revers switch just makes the front wheels go the wrong way. 

Also now that set up is working its freed up a radio set so I'm getting very close to having all the cars working again!

I think the way the steering works is going to go back to how you set up the servos, mine are setup identical, so I can swap my axles around and it won't change a thing, thanks mostly to the bumper mounts I have used.

when your in rear steer mode, and standing behind it, if you turn the wheel left do the rear wheels try to turn the nose of the truck left? or do they try to turn the nose of the truck to the right?