Hibernaculum

What vintage R/C regrets will you have in the end?

so its not just me that feels the pain of throwing out rc cars bitd , im still kicking myself 25 years later about throwing out my swb willy, I guess back before the interwebs it was impossible to find parts outside your local area without some kind of devine luck.

I trying to remember what the exact mane of the car was , I was 7 years old mind you , I think it was a taiyo jet hopper I do remember it had 027 on the side and took 4 aa batteries , great time there but I always wanted the 8aa version , same deal but with 040 on the side .

I still remember begging my mother for aa batteries constantly and they were cheap, one Christmas she bought me rechargeable batteries and a charger , sure did suck waiting 12 hours for a charge lol

• Like 1

If it took 4 x AAs, it was probably in fact the smaller version of the Jet Hopper, called the Mini Hopper. ^_^

• Like 1

Ok, an actual Vintage RC regret.

My hot pink Ultima, first one I ever owned, got stolen from my back shed with most of the gear that went with it. That was kind of it for me and RC for many years afterwards. I still had my trusty old Hornet, and a buttload of parts, but it was seldom used, sat in storage mostly.

• Like 1

Just a quick note. There are 2 types of regret: Past regret VS Future regret.

Cool hearing everyone's stories of both kinds. Just mentioning the distinction, in case any more people have thoughts along lines of "If I haven't owned/built/driven vintage kit X before I die, I will not have fulfilled my mission..." ;)

For me it goes like this: I actually hope to build 1 vintage kit of every vintage model I like (particularly those I wanted growing up) - ie. from a NIB kit, cutting open those vintage blisters - before I die.

After all, you only have one life, right? About 15 years ago I set myself this goal, because part of me figured "if I'm such a fan, why shouldn't I make the effort to try to experience this in my life?". Nothing could be more fun.

I appreciate this is probably a bit of an extreme goal, but has anyone else had similar thoughts?

• Like 1

who hasnt had the dream of owning all of the first 100....

that would be my dream but i think its a tad unrealistic tbh, and its not from lack of trying but some cars just dont do it for me.

i do regret leaving my much loved celica , ta02 mustang , dirt thrasher and manta ray at a friends house , he moved suddenly and took it with him , never did find him after that but being 20 years ago i doubt i will.

i have almost replaced them just need the mustang ....

• Like 1

not RC, but the only regret of giving away stuff was pretty much my entire Star Wars figuring collection, plus some vehicles and all my complete set of trading cards when I was 12 to a mate. All collected between 1979 and 1982, and there would have been at least 20 figurines. In hindsight, I was stupid, stupid, stupid to get talked into it. I was meant to get some money, I think $40 at the time, but it never arrived.

• Like 1

To finally buy a vintage Wild One.

It's the only car I want, just need to hunker down and save my pennies for a long time.

• Like 1

Not sure if I can call it a regret, but I wish my kid self would've chucked the hood/bonnet in the same plastic bag as the rest of my Bison F10. I've sent the parental units searching from cellar to loft without being able to find it.

As for a real, honest to god regret: selling my Fortress Maximus, Ultra Magnus, Megatron & Optimus Prime when I was 14.

Oh yeah, possible future regrets:

I think I'd regret it if I don't get involved it vintage competitions, even though they seem to be scarce or nonexistent here in Norway. And I'd really like to build a Nikko Dandy Dash and enter it in said competitions. .

• Like 2

If the world was to end tonight then my big regret would be the failure to land a new built Mk1 Hotshot. After 12 years of hunting I still haven't managed to do it.

The other regrets would be that the world ended before Tamiya re-released the Ford Ranger, Porsche 959, Toyota Hilux and Blazing Blazer.

• Like 2

Just a quick note. There are 2 types of regret: Past regret VS Future regret.

Cool hearing everyone's stories of both kinds. Just mentioning the distinction, in case any more people have thoughts along lines of "If I haven't owned/built/driven vintage kit X before I die, I will not have fulfilled my mission..." ;)

For me it goes like this: I actually hope to build 1 vintage kit of every vintage model I like (particularly those I wanted growing up) - ie. from a NIB kit, cutting open those vintage blisters - before I die.

After all, you only have one life, right? About 15 years ago I set myself this goal, because part of me figured "if I'm such a fan, why shouldn't I make the effort to try to experience this in my life?". Nothing could be more fun.

I appreciate this is probably a bit of an extreme goal, but has anyone else had similar thoughts?

It's no stranger or more extreme than the baseball fans who visit every major-league stadium, or music fans who spend a year following their favorite band around. If it's something you love to do, then it's worth it, in terms of both money and time.

What's extreme to me are the people who seem to want to do nothing more than accumulate money, by fair means or foul, just to have it. Or buy things simply because they're expensive and sit on them like a dragon on its hoard. That I will never understand; I can't believe there isn't a point of diminishing returns, and much sooner than they'd have you believe.

For me, I realize that I have several interests competing for my remaining time and likely never to be sufficient money, so I try to keep goals small and achievable. And I've already done quite a few things I've "always wanted to do," in the RC hobby and in others. But in addition to the RC goals mentioned above, I feel like I need to:

- Build/rebuild an automobile engine from a bare block on up

- Drive an '80s Ferrari (just once, but not just around the block)

- Own an Alfa Romeo or a Jaguar or both (but not at the same time; I'm not crazy)

- Build a tube guitar amp from parts/kit (to go with the guitars I've built)

- And last but not least, travel a great deal more.

So with all that in mind, I have to keep my RC goals down to "the really important stuff." But I do envy your collection, and I think building all those kits would be an unforgettable experience.

• Like 2

None of you guys better be bidding on vintage Wild Ones ;)

Just let me have this one. She needs a lot of work which is right up my alley

• Like 1

I don't really have any regrets that I can think of. If I were able to go back in time I think I would of paid a lot more attention to the non Tamiya kits that are now rare and unheard of. Probably wish I had started collecting nitro sooner and I would of got some great bargains on parts that are almost impossible to find now.

• Like 1

Besides not having completed my plethora of projects I think, if it were all to end soon(ish), my biggest RC regret would be that I sold my Marui Ninja back before the days of the internet. I wish I'd kept it. It was used so there were scratches to the underside, obviously, but no breaks or missing pieces. It was in pretty good shape but the body was wrecked and I couldn't get a replacement, neither genuine or repro (not that I'd even considered repro stuff back then), for love nor money. The model was worth something and I needed the money to pay debts (which is pretty much the only reason I sell any of my RC stuff) so I sold it along with my first Lunchbox for £80. In the end I'd sold a decent RC that I didn't really want to sell along with another RC that I didn't really enjoy until almost 2 decades later (that's nostalgia for you!) and, in the end, I didn't make enough to clear the debts I'd sold stuff to clear. Wasn't the first time. Wasn't the last either. Story of my life.

• Like 1

Getting those impossible to find sleeved mini dampers for the front end of my 411X to make it complete. Still haven't given up hope..

• Like 1

Someone with "0" feedback bidding it up. Awesome. Last time that happened on an auction that I was in for something that I really wanted, I made the jackwagon pay over $170 from what it was actually worth. Felt really good since they were using a bot.

Hmmm, you'll probably find they'll never pay up anyway and it'll be back on a couple of weeks later. It's my pet hate on ebay. If I get a sniff of that or suspect it I won't bid on prinicple. It's especiall apparent when you have 2 like objects on ebay and one is going mental and the other not!

People who put their max bid in early get exposed by the shill bidding to give a much higher figure far too early in the auction playing their hand too early, then you have the snipers of course which I guess is like coming in and bidding your max amount at the end instead of talking the price up with loads of peoples max figures being exposed in the first day giving people plenty of time to think about bidding more.

I think the ebay max bid system is purposely flawed to talk up the figures, allowing people to keep pushing it up to each persons max bid, especially with a dummy account.

Not vintage yet, but I think one of my regrets will be never getting my hands on an original version TRF201 roller.

People just don't seem to be selling them, not on my ebay feed anyhoo.

• Like 1

I won the Wild One auction!!!!

Got a smokin' deal too!!!! Yay :) tons of spare parts, new body, I have original brand new spare wheels, it has all the correct parts and MSC, I'm thinking I did pretty darned well!

For those of y'all who don't know, the Wild One was my very first RC car. I've been so hesitant in the last couple of years to get a vintage one. Now I have my original car on its way to me and another great resto project to tackle :)

• Like 5