Sign in to follow this  
Stav_98

Chassis differences - lunchbox/beetle

Hi all,

I've  a few quid to spare for the first time in ages and am thinking of a coupe of Tamiya RC builds, one for starting my racing career :) and another for fun.  I was around when the original Monster Beetle and Vanessa's Lunchbox were released so am thinking of heading down that route for some fun.  I was wondering whether the Monster Beetle (2015) and Vanessa's Lunchbox share the same chassis?  I ask the question due to the price difference between the kits (some £40 something) .  Supply and demand or a little more hard wearing maybe?

Many thanks

2 different chassis

for easier out of the box long lasting fun with either very minor mods, or none at all, lunchbox is the way to go

if you like a challenge, monster beetle, it's a challenge to build, setup, re-power, or as in the case of my mate, challenge to find a kit to buy....

These were my two favorite monster trucks when I was young. What Darat76 said holds true. The Lunch Box is very basic but very tough. Other than a body mount or two, I never broke a part on mine and I've run it since '87 or so. The suspension is crude with a solid axle (very durable, though) out back and simple swing/A-arms up front. They are mostly plastic and don't have oil filled shocks. The Lunchie is wheelie prone which is fun, but not a precise handler by any means.

The Monster Beetle based off the earlier Frog/ORV platform. It's reasonably tough in it's own right but the gearbox is nowhere near as bulletproof as the Lunch Box's  There's more of a combination of plastic and pressed metal parts in the kit and it comes with 4 wheel independent suspension with oil filled shocks. As such, it handles much better than the Lunch Box. If you're in to hopping up your vehicles, the Beetle has far more potential. If you just want a simple kit that's durable and will require minimal maintenance, the Lunch Box fits the bill.

5 hours ago, Darat76 said:

2 different chassis

for easier out of the box long lasting fun with either very minor mods, or none at all, lunchbox is the way to go

if you like a challenge, monster beetle, it's a challenge to build, setup, re-power, or as in the case of my mate, challenge to find a kit to buy....

There's one at my LHS, I am sure he would send it to Chch.

I have both, to me the fun with a LunchBox peaks at a 20t on 2s. Lots of run time, ample power, about as much as the stock chassis and suspension really needs. I ran a 3s powered 4600kv 4 pole brushless and it was just crazy, but not much fun. The 'box really doesn't handle that great out of the box and I doubt it would ever handle better than a Monster Beetle. That being said it's a blast to see it wheelie and bounce around. It's also very robust and takes a beating (stock plastic body mounts are really the only causality on bad wrecks).

My Mud Blaster (basically the same thing as a Monster Beetle but with a brat body) is a fun all round truck. It turns decent, it looks great, it's got a very cool suspension setup, and can be pretty fun on just about any terrain. The transmission is notorious for having issues with the plates bending which causes the gears to get chewed up but a pair of 2" steel washers, longer hardware, and a few minutes with a file/grinder and you can put those worries away. Right now as it stands I've ran 50+ packs in my 2015 rear end without issue (I wanted the new style out drives and it was nice to get spares). I've ran through mud, snow, water, etc on a 20t and 15t brushed motor on both 2s and 3s lipo with my Sidewinder 3 esc and I've never had an issue. I drive it hard, but relatively respectful (no huge air), and racing on a track is a blast! To me it's the chassis that you can tweak and grow with. I drive this truck more than my Lunchbox, Yeti RR, Yeti TT, RC10DS, Torment, SC10, and Sand Scorcher. It's just too much fun to see this truck fish tailing around or plowing through mud! 

I adore my Lunch' but my Mud Blaster (Monster Beetle) would be my choice if I had to choose. 

image.jpg

Morning all,

Thanks for the responses!  I'm edging towards the MB over LB at the moment as I quite fancy the thoughts of tinkering; I also love how it looks.

Will sleep on it for a few more days :)

Cheers.

If you are looking for something to start a racing career then , unless you have a specific club or group of friends who are prepared to run the same or similar models, you will most likely be left behind with either of those models.  I'd check you local clubs to assess..

1. how many operate vintage class racing - some do on an adhoc basis

2. what models are generally being used, I'd expect majority to be buggy based (probably Associated RC10s, Schumachers with a handful of Losi and Tamiyas ??)

14 minutes ago, Percymon said:

If you are looking for something to start a racing career then , unless you have a specific club or group of friends who are prepared to run the same or similar models, you will most likely be left behind with either of those models.  I'd check you local clubs to assess..

1. how many operate vintage class racing - some do on an adhoc basis

2. what models are generally being used, I'd expect majority to be buggy based (probably Associated RC10s, Schumachers with a handful of Losi and Tamiyas ??)

Hi Percymon,

This is the vehicle for fun and not the one for starting my racing career :) (thinking of two purchases) 

Visiting the local club tomorrow (I hope) who run GT12, M Chassis and 1:10 Tour Cars - Thinking of the 'M' to get me started on some racing.

Cheers.

With the Monster beetle, you'll be fixing it more than running it.  Tamiya never improved the weak differential so eventually it will grenade.  The Lunch box/Midnight pumpkin are way more fun to run. 

5 hours ago, Shodog said:

With the Monster beetle, you'll be fixing it more than running it.  Tamiya never improved the weak differential so eventually it will grenade.  The Lunch box/Midnight pumpkin are way more fun to run. 

Yeah I have to agree with Shodog. I love my ORV (Monster Beetle) cars but they are very weak. Front of the chassis can split, front hubs are junk and the trailing arms are trash. Transmission is a pile with the worst diff in history. I mean if you aren't insane with the car then it will be fine. My Monster Beetle and BF are both stock silver can equipped and really solid cars but even they have gone through many diffs. Now the Lunchbox (CW01) chassis is terrible in all the right ways. The solid rear axle and front suspension are so bad they are good. I have had my Midnight Pumpkin since 1992 and it is still my favorite runner. They are the most fun you can have with an RC Car too. Oh and after nuclear winter, Cockroaches will all be driving Lunchboxes. That is how tough they are. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Pintopower said:

Transmission is a pile with the worst diff in history.

If you want to drive an ORV, you'll need to piece together a Thorp system...  IMO its worth it, but YMMV...

Terry

YMMV?

that's a new one on me... and will be completely logical when I know what it stands for....

The monster beetle chassis is a beautiful thing. You can strengthen the gearbox by adding a screw through the diff. Not the easiest thing to do, but is enough to push a lot more power through it.

Monster%20Beetle%20Chrome%201.JPG

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bugone said:

The monster beetle chassis is a beautiful thing. You can strengthen the gearbox by adding a screw through the diff. Not the easiest thing to do, but is enough to push a lot more power through it.

Yes you can strengthen the gearbox, but the fact that it was never addressed back on the original, nor with the re-re, is kind of annoying and disappointing.

On 4/29/2016 at 2:38 AM, Darat76 said:

YMMV?

that's a new one on me... and will be completely logical when I know what it stands for....

"Your mileage may vary"...

19 hours ago, bugone said:

Monster%20Beetle%20Chrome%201.JPG

How are you attaching that wing?!?  That's freeking awesome!

Terry

If you can find a thorp or robinson racing diff, the diff weakness foes away.  I bought my Blackfoot in 1989 and never had an issue with the gearbox. I am using a technigold brushed motor with a couple of degrees of timing.  It is difficult not to spin the wheels constantly unless there is traction, then there are wheelies.  

Still, if I were building today, I would use the bolt through method....Every rc car out there needs upgrades, so adding this is just another item on the list. 

I have a lot of upgrades to my BF, lost count a while ago.   Still taking a beating and kept on going.