Sign in to follow this  
SB_Aust

Which multimeter do you use for checking batteries, circuits etc?

I haven't posted anything in a while,

I just recently purchased a Klein Tools mm200 multimeter for my RC tool kit. I am very happy with it, about a quarter of the price of a Fluke. I was wondering what multimeters you guys use?

I have a number of Flukes, starting at the high end, a Scopemeter 123. 

A RMS 179, a older model 27 and a model 21.  I have been collecting them over the years. The model 27 I have is over 30 years old and still works fine.   

I also have about 4 of those free VOM's from Harbor freight They are small, light, cheap (Free) and read everything the big boys read well enough for hobby work. 

I wouldn't use the HF free ones for diagnostic work on a Toshiba VFD, but for battery voltage, resistance, and stuff on the hobby cars, the free ones work fine. 

At the time being, I still use a cheap non-brand multimeter I once got for around 5-10 € from a supermarket, a decade ago.

For continuity testing and checking the occasional battery voltage up to 10 V DC, it's fine. For everything else, it's garbage. I'd really like to step up.

That EEV meter looks pretty nice!

I just ordered a Fluke 12E+ from China, after watching some of AvE's videos on Youtube (sorry, can't link them, they've got lots of swearing, but they are very entertaining and educational) and reading this forum post:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-12e-'easter-eggs'/

True RMS would have been nice, but since I'm mainly measuring low DC current and voltage in my electronics projects (and only the occasional AC sine wave from the wall outlet), I decided I don't really need TRMS.