Sign in to follow this  
JoFan

While in japan...

So I've finally managed to get a login here, after switching to my work email. (Not sure why, but I understand it's going through some upgrades, so I'm just happy to finally be here!) I'm working on some vintage frogs and a grasshopper at home, but I find myself in Japan for work, and got to wondering if there's anything I could be looking for while I'm here. I'm in Toyota City, (three guesses who I work for), and so I'm close to Nagoya, and there's a shop here that I haven't made it to yet. What would you guys be looking for? I'm recently rediscovering my love for the vintage Tamiyas, hence the two basket case frogs and grasshopper that I got off EvilBay before I came here. Thinking of buying a new kit, but I have limited luggage space... Anyway, any Ideas?

Which shop are you refering to, JoFan? I'm asking because I've been in Nagoya a couple of times (and might go there again quite soon) and it's always great to discover new hobbyshops.

Btw, I've been to the Toyota Museum in Nagakute and loved it!

I don't know the name of the one in Toyota City. Only heard of it from some co-workers, and it's only a couple of train stops from me. Haven't been to Nagoya yet. May get to go tomorrow, but that's kind of up in the air, and I'm hoping to run across one.

• Like 1

You say you have limited luggage space,

Why do you not post the kit to your home address via standard mail, then you might be home before it arrives

That may be something I do if I find something I fall in love with. Guess we'll have to see what cool stuff I find!

The guys I'm with here liked the idea of buying a couple of RC's and having a little race in a lot not far from our hotel. Went down to the hobby shop here, and picked up a couple of rtr's. After reading the posts on here, and actually seeing them here, I had to pick the Jimny up. Little disappointed with the the Ni-Cad battery it came with (Really Tamiya!?!?!), but should be fun while I'm here. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

If I had the opportunity to be in Japan I would be at every garage sale, op shop, market stall, car boot sale etc etc, chasing the rarer vintage kits, lots of Avante's , Top Force's and Astutes

• Like 2

I wish I knew more about the area, that would be a great idea. Unfortunately, I don't speak Japanese, either. We're at the mercy of our Japanese advisor while we're over here. Might ask him, though, he's been awesome. In the meantime, we found a little park over here, just a little sand lot, really. But we had a blast. My co-worker bought a TT02 Lexus RC F, and he was having a blast drifting around, while the little Jimny blew me away with how well composed it was. I has throwing rooster tails the whole time, and it stayed amazingly composed. I see now why this is such a popular kit! Can't wait to get it home and throw some bearings and a good battery in it. Eyeing those RC4WD steel wheel, too. But I think that's all it will get. It's just too good to mess with.

On 1/5/2016 at 0:09 AM, Snappy1 said:

If I had the opportunity to be in Japan I would be at every garage sale, op shop, market stall, car boot sale etc etc, chasing the rarer vintage kits, lots of Avante's , Top Force's and Astutes

until the alarm clock does sound... :P

• Like 1