Sign in to follow this  
Dangerseeker

You, me and rc (cars)

concerning the poll, we just passed the 40 participants threshold. Thats great. Thank you all for taking the time! the poll will be open another week or so (I am aiming for 50 participants or even more). 

As you can see from the replies alone very different approaches and opinions regarding "you, me and RC" exist. So I am quite excited what the analysis, which my wife will perform, will show......... just joking here ;)

16 hours ago, Shodog said:

My advice is to don't say a word to the wife.  If they know how much their worth, they will try to take half when they hit 40 and divorce you. 

Oh :(

One thing that my wife understands (and doesn't like) is that the majority of what I own is worth significantly less than I paid for it once I've got my hands on it.

My runners don't get fitted with expensive hop-ups but they do get run hard, it's a rare bash when I don't break something.

My shelfers are never painted in easy-to-sell boxart colours or good neutral schemes, they're usually very personal to whatever I happen to be working on elsewhere at the time.

I almost always buy NIB and rarely get a discount or a good score.

I expect most of my collection is worth a fraction of what I paid for it.  I have no idea how any lawyer would value it!

6 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Oh :(

One thing that my wife understands (and doesn't like) is that the majority of what I own is worth significantly less than I paid for it once I've got my hands on it.

My runners don't get fitted with expensive hop-ups but they do get run hard, it's a rare bash when I don't break something.

My shelfers are never painted in easy-to-sell boxart colours or good neutral schemes, they're usually very personal to whatever I happen to be working on elsewhere at the time.

I almost always buy NIB and rarely get a discount or a good score.

I expect most of my collection is worth a fraction of what I paid for it.  I have no idea how any lawyer would value it!

Regardless of whether the value appreciates or depreciates, it's still worth something and it becomes an asset they can bargain against you with. 

Just make sure their Jewellery collection is worth as much or more ;)

Interesting that most of the conversation surrounding this thread has been about the monetary spend on the hobby, rather than the time spent on it. My other half has never been that bothered about what I spent on my hobby (which isn't much really), but the patience did get stretched when I started spending too much time in the workshop. I guess my major advantage is that I build most of my stuff these days rather than buy it, most of what I buy is motors , tires, esc's, etc.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

Interesting that most of the conversation surrounding this thread has been about the monetary spend on the hobby, rather than the time spent on it.

A totally valid point there, but one that me and my wife have completely covered.  We're both very creative - I do other stuff besides RCs, writing in particular is very time-intensive.  Meanwhile my wife makes jewelry and other things, currently she's making a 2-metre-high scale fairy treehouse out of some fallen logs.  So we split up our time at the start of each week so we have time together, time to do the chores, and time to follow our own hobbies.

Our own time can be followed however we want - if she wants to go visit a friend or make some jewelry or watch a DVD, that's cool; if I want to work on a novel, make some music or go to an RC bash, that's cool too.  We're open about what we want to do and we make time for it.

Things will probably change when our family comes along - we're both still keen to make sure we get time to follow our own interests, but that can only happen when the other is free to look after the kids, so our personal time will drop off significantly.  These days I get up at 6am every day so I can at least do an hour of writing before I have to walk the dog, so even if I lose my evenings and weekends, I'll still have that.  I hope :D

Well, its time to close the poll -> no more entries since quite some days.Thank you all for participating and making it possible!

Here is the analysis:

Folie1.jpg

Folie2.jpg

Folie3.jpg

Folie4.jpg

Folie5.jpg

Folie6.jpg

Folie7.jpg

Folie8.jpg

Folie9.jpg

Folie10.jpg

Folie11.jpg

Folie12.jpg

Folie13.jpg

Folie14.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you so much for providing your great summary!

I have to say that my wife doesn't mind the RC Cars. I mean she thinks they are nerdy but that's about it. She prefers my 1:1 cars by far as often times her car is in the garage and one of my collection is mysteriously missing. She is always stealing this one:

5467097244_b587aec028_z.jpg

I do try to keep the spending down so what I do is ebay stuff I don't need and use that to fund the hobby. This way, I don't use money that I could use to go on a nice trip.  Personally, i think the key is to have another hobby she dislikes. For example, I like Transformers (the original ones, please do not mention Michael Bay). I like to stash them around the house so they look like they are spying. It freaks her out so she is always making me take them away, haha! This way, the RC cars are definitely the lesser of two (or 3) evils. 

8006458703_f6867d1f2d_z.jpg

• Like 4

Totally off topic, but I always wondered if your name came about from Ford Pintos. I built a 302 powered one for my ex-wife years ago. I have to admit, I preferred the several V8 Chevy Vegas I built a whole lot more though.

16 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Totally off topic, but I always wondered if your name came about from Ford Pintos. I built a 302 powered one for my ex-wife years ago. I have to admit, I preferred the several V8 Chevy Vegas I built a whole lot more though.

Yes I own 5 that I restored and a Mercury Bobcat. They are all stock builds as I am not a fan of modifying engines. I agree with you on the V8 front, the Pinto is too stubby to be a good all around v8 car. The Vega is longer with a bigger engine bay, plus the Vega had a miserable 4 cyl that needed to go whereas the Pinto had the all-mighty 2.3 which was in production until 2005 is in the Ranger. One of mine is turbo'd (from factory) and 3 are the German Cologne V6. The blue one in the above pic is my 77 Pinto Wagon. Most importantly, they all have air conditioning. :D