jBrinks

King cab / hi-lux question

Hi there. My nephew has gotten into RC so I went to my dad's a couple weekends ago and dug out our 1st generation King Cab, Blackfoot, and Pumpkin. I've been lurking non-stop to get myself back up to speed, but I have a few questions I couldn't find straightforward answers for. The King Cab was always my favorite so I've decided to focus on that, despite there being a lack of parts. It's just so much fun to drive and looks cool...

1. Is there any detailed post on tightening the differential? I see several posts on it, but some of the terminology being used doesn't match up with the labels I'm seeing in the manual. I plant to get a lethal 2 or Thorp but want to tighten things up in the meantime. It squeals a bit but I'm not sure if it's the tranny or the 25 year old silvercan in there. It still seems to get up and go and doesn't lag depressingly far behind my brother's Stampede so maybe nothing is too messed up. I watched some YouTube videos on signs of slipping and melted gears but my KC doesn't sound that bad yet.

2. Are there alloy or other hop-up front knuckles? Of course I broke mine in a matter of seconds clipping a pole because the bumper is missing. I saw someone mention they were made at one time, but I've found no evidence of this on Ebay and other websites. Do any of these TA-o1 or other alloys fit?

Thanks in advance. You guys are a great source of information and many like myself don't post, because there's already a wealth of information on these forums.

Welcome to TamiyaClub. I'll send you a PM right away just to inform you about your search here. :)

The squeal is likely the motors. I took mine off and ran them in water, then re oiled the bushings with engine oil and they have been perfect.

Thanks. Was going to give cleaning the motor a shot; or maybe just replace it.

Where abouts are you? Someone near might have a silvercan laying about.

I would post one but postage in the UK costs more than a motor sent from abroad 

Thanks, but Sports Tuned are like 17 USD so I might just give a new one a go. 

On 11/5/2016 at 3:14 AM, jBrinks said:

Hi there. My nephew has gotten into RC so I went to my dad's a couple weekends ago and dug out our 1st generation King Cab, Blackfoot, and Pumpkin. I've been lurking non-stop to get myself back up to speed, but I have a few questions I couldn't find straightforward answers for. The King Cab was always my favorite so I've decided to focus on that, despite there being a lack of parts. It's just so much fun to drive and looks cool...

1. Is there any detailed post on tightening the differential? I see several posts on it, but some of the terminology being used doesn't match up with the labels I'm seeing in the manual. I plant to get a lethal 2 or Thorp but want to tighten things up in the meantime. It squeals a bit but I'm not sure if it's the tranny or the 25 year old silvercan in there. It still seems to get up and go and doesn't lag depressingly far behind my brother's Stampede so maybe nothing is too messed up. I watched some YouTube videos on signs of slipping and melted gears but my KC doesn't sound that bad yet.

2. Are there alloy or other hop-up front knuckles? Of course I broke mine in a matter of seconds clipping a pole because the bumper is missing. I saw someone mention they were made at one time, but I've found no evidence of this on Ebay and other websites. Do any of these TA-o1 or other alloys fit?

Thanks in advance. You guys are a great source of information and many like myself don't post, because there's already a wealth of information on these forums.

Another ball differential issue. I'm sorry but there's no way to fix easly this ball diff.

Switch directly to Lethal Weapon 2 Belt Tranny with Slippery Clutch, you will solve the problem.

Concerning the front hubs the solution is 3D printed parts. Pintopower could be the solution.

Max

• Like 1

Are there any suitable replacements for the bushings on the damper and steering mounts? Bolt came loose and one fell out last night. Looked for a half hour and could only find the bolt. Bushing bags don't seem to come up on Ebay as much based on a search of completed and current listings.

The King Cab is a great truck but needs littl works all around.

For example you can fix the steering linkages with passing screws and lock nuts. Concerning the steering bushing the Avante/Vanquish ones could work. The damper bushings are common with many other Tamiya models.

Max

The King Cab is a great truck but needs littl works all around.

For example you can fix the steering linkages with passing screws and lock nuts. Concerning the steering bushing the Avante/Vanquish ones could work. The damper bushings are common with many other Tamiya models.

Max

I took apart and degreased the transmission and differential yesterday. It looked good to me, but I took some pictures to post so better trained eyes could notify me of any problems. Maybe all the squealing was just the 30 year old silvercan. Brake cleaner left some residue on the housing and center pin clip, but otherwise it seemed OK. The foam inserts on the shaft joints have disintegrated; any quick fix for that?

Need a replacement chassy now as the original is smashed up in the front and can't hold a bumper, which will likely lead to another broken steering knuckle.

P1040135.JPG

P1040136.JPG

P1040137.JPG

P1040138.JPG

P1040139.JPG

P1040140.JPG

P1040141.JPG

The problem of this differential is the pot metal differential housing. If you will be able to replace them with some cnc ergal alloy parts you will solve your problems.

Find some cnc machinist and let him reproduce in ergal these parts. A bit expensive but definitive.

Max

Thanks, I put it back together and replaced the motor; it sounds much better and zips. I'll wait until I smoke the tranny/diff and then just replace it with an Associated, Traxxas, etc. 

3 hours ago, jBrinks said:

Thanks, I put it back together and replaced the motor; it sounds much better and zips. I'll wait until I smoke the tranny/diff and then just replace it with an Associated, Traxxas, etc. 

See you in a couple of hours (:

3 hours ago, Flerbizky said:

See you in a couple of hours (:

Hahaha :lol:

That sc10 gearbox looks like a sweet fit. And you can run geared or ball diff too. I liked the one in my sc10rs.

I have a spare tamiya ttc but they are too expensive to throw at a runner now :blink:

Ha, so far so good. Put a 13.5 sensored Xerun combo in there. Turned the punch setting down to 1. So far so good. Been driving it easy but it sounds way better and the run time is great. Blowing it up will just be an excuse to buy an Associated tranny/diff to put in there.

Well keep an eye on it. I also have an original (in good working condtion) for my runner that I am building, if that goes south I will be chucking a sc10 box in there too. 

Have this and a box of wheels and tyres etc to sort through. I know i am still missing a couple of bits though...

20160514_115638_zpsse9x6yrf.jpg

Of course I cracked the new chassis. Within 3 days of getting it. At least it holds a bumper which my old one didn't, but a big disappointment. 

Does anyone have a suggestion for what the best transmission replacement is? Something less than 100 USD and fits reasonably well that can handle a moderate brushless system. 

So far so good with my rebuilt but I have this feeling I'm tearing it up and bashing it to badword. 

On 25.5.2016 at 6:43 AM, berman said:

Well keep an eye on it. I also have an original (in good working condtion) for my runner that I am building, if that goes south I will be chucking a sc10 box in there too. 

Have this and a box of wheels and tyres etc to sort through. I know i am still missing a couple of bits though...

20160514_115638_zpsse9x6yrf.jpg

If you want to get rid of your wheels please let me know. :D:rolleyes:

It there a replacement for the Left Differential Gear Joint? Like a Madcap? Does the Thorp work with the stock differential?

Shock mount came loose on a jump last night and it flew out somewhere. Very disappointing...

Threadlock any metal to metal contact (i.e. nuts and bolts). For some reason this truck likes to shake itself loose! I lost so many parts of mine back in the 90s.

Yeah I have lock nuts on everything, but the rear bottom damper mounts are plastic rings on ball pins. Can't glue that. It broke off which provides the tension to hold the differential-dogbone-wheel axle in place.