Sign in to follow this  
mikem65d

anyone decant Tamiya polycarbonate paints for airbrushing?

I have 2 Hotshot bodies to paint....1 is Super Hotshot and 1 is Hotshot rere

colors are silver and red.

I'm thinking that airbrush will let me do a blending of any other color i may want to shade in as well.

I've decanted Tamiya TS spray cans, but not sure about the polycarbonate sprays.

thx

-mike

I've heard of people doing it, but not airbrushed it myself.

I have decanted it through a drinking straw in to a glass jar, for painting tyre lettering. It seems fairly volatile with propellant for about

15-30 minutes. So much so that if I dip a cocktail stick in it too early it fizzes quite a bit. I also only touch parts of the jar above the paint-

level so the heat from my fingers doesn't make it fizz up.

You cannot thin it with X20. If it comes into contact with the thinner it turns into something resembling a lump of latex. However

it seems about the right "milky" viscosity for spraying, and stays that way for at least a week.

Worth a go I would have thought.

Don't know if you can still get them, but you used to be able to buy Tamiya polycarb paint in bottles to brush paint on, to me it would seem simpler to get some of this and thin it than trying to decant from a spray can.

Tamiya brush polycarbonate paints have been discontinued, unfortunately, so hopefully decanting from spray cans will work.

I did it with black and metallic green last winter. The 1/8 scale Mercedes DTM body calls for a mix of the two paints .Maybe when that body came out you could still get them in the jars. It was a bit of a mess to decant them but the result was great. Like mentioned above, let the propellant have a chance to dissipate.

I would like to know if air brush paint can be made into a rattle can.

As I brought a few airbrush paint jars last year but I want them putting into rattle cans if possible 

thx for the replies everyone.

i'm going to give it a whirl today so i'll post my findings later.

I really liked the bottle stuff Tamiya used to sell. It was a bit of a pain too in it's own way, but the results were good at least with the solid colors we used to brush on.

Had fun painting the bodies today..............for anyone thinking of decanting poly paint......don't waste your time.

The effort to do this and spray thru an airbrush (along with the extensive cleanup) is fruitless.

I did one body this way, and the other right from the Tamiya can............I'm sticking with rattle cans for this type of paint.

And Duh!!!........i didn't realize that the bodies had a protective skin on them. I was just thinking Hmmm.....these new generation bodies are a lot less glossy than the older stuff....LOL on me.

All in all this is, and will be a fun experience with these and future builds, but decanting?............Won't be doin this again.