Sign in to follow this  
jupitertwo

TT02B gearbox noises

I'm hoping someone can help identify where I need to make a fix to my TT02B. 🙂

Under normal acceleration I get a nasty cracking noise from the rear gearbox.

• I've reduced the motor to a 17.5t brushless, and I still get the same noises at the same frequency as anything hotter.
  • I've run it just fwd and that is quiet.
  • I've run it with no rear dog bones, and nice and quiet.
  • It's just when fully set up that I get the noise.
  • I've gone back down to stock wheels, and no differences. 

The gears and diffs are all stock, not chewed gears etc. Alloy motor mount and prop shaft etc, and a RW pinion. 

Any thoughts, I'm loathe to splash the £30+ on the steel GPM gears if it's not the cure?

The plastic ring gear is well known for its propensity for flexing under power even with a mildly upgraded motor - it is really only suited to the stock Torque Tuned brushed setup.

The flexing allows the gears to skip, hence the noise.

If the GPM gearset is a bit steep for your pocket, a DF-02 metal diff will also sort the issue quite nicely.

As XV says it will likely be flexing, I went through the same thing. DF-02 diff and bevel gear is a tough setup, I've abused my tt-02b using df-02 gears with a castle 5700kv motor a lot and no problem. You will need the metal parts bag and the diff housings for the DF-02. I made a video a while back to go over the changes made to mine after being asked a few times, hopefully it can give you some ideas!

• Like 2

Thanks guys, great to have an explanation of what's going on. :) I hadn't considered that the diff could flex

I'll look at the rear first, and investigate the two options. It's not really the cost, more making sure I didn't buy them and not solve it. 

the gpm gears weren't available when I built my tt-02b so I went with the df-02 option, good thing about it, is that its cheaper, and that you get lots of other bits in the bag aswell which are very usefull. I am glad to see the gpm steel setup though, so far the df-02 parts have proven reliable but I would expect the gpm parts to be stronger still.

12 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Got a complete GPM diff on order from America for mine, should be here this week hopefully.

Cool. I think I'm going to go the DF02 route, see what that produces

I was gonna go down the DF-02 route but i got giggy on ebay and ordered the GPM one. I may still end up ordering some DF-02 ones so i can run GPM at the rear and DF-02 up front.

Just this week I ordered the GPM kit for my daughters TT-02B.  It's coming from China so I should see it maybe mid-July.  :o Guess there'll be a spate of diff upgrades coming soon to Tamiya Club!

I've recently bought 4 GPM complete kits for 4 diffs to upgrade 2 buggies, all 4 sets seize when assembled

I fixed this by loosening the diff casing screws until the diff ran but was notchy, than ran each diff using a drill until I could gradually screw the diff case properly closed, took about 30mins per diff, still sounds rough but hopefully it will quieten once the 3s is used! 😃

1 hour ago, taffer said:

I've recently bought 4 GPM complete kits for 4 diffs to upgrade 2 buggies, all 4 sets seize when assembled

Well this isn't good news...  :blink:  For $50 per I would expect them to be flawless!

Er yes but I knew it was GPM before purchase so I didn't expect "drop in", although more work than expected! I also used steel cross shafts inside the diff rather than the plastic cross that comes with the kit, makes it slightly looser

Also the 2 joint cups needed filing down to fit smoothly!

So about an hours work to be useable, I did send an email query in but no reply so I proceeded with my "mods"

My tt-02b Ms will be posted soon on TC listing all mods

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

I really hope that I don't have issues with my GPM diff when it arrives.

Me too. I hadn't expected them to require tailoring to fit

Yes, they are the same parts, hence the problem. They appear to be designed with touring cars in mind, and are not up to the stresses they face in a buggy with its bigger tyres, likelihood of jumping, etc. 

There are a couple of Tamiya diffs that drop into the TT02B gearbox without any issue. The TT01 and the Tb01 but both will require a change of drive cups and dog bones.