Sign in to follow this  
RiZZa

Tamiya rhd driver (car not screwdriver)

I'm planning on giving my cc01 a makeover and would like to add a driver. I want a driver that is rhd because there's  only room on the right side of the tub and living in Australia means our cars are rhd. So are any of the Tamiya 'hard body' drivers able to be assembled as rhd rather than lhd ? I'm not really interested in a lexan driver as I would like to have a  go at building a cockpit from styrene.

I think the driver from the original MB is rhd, you could also try a buggy driver like the one in the bear hawk

I would have figured that any of the buggy drivers can be fitted to the right side of the chassis and called RHD, especially where a scratchbuilt cockpit from styrene is involved. Most if not all of the hard-plastic driver figures were placed on the LHD side of the chassis, but if you mount the driver on the chassis this should be easily addressed...

... unless you meant a full-body driver instead of a driver torso? (like the semi-rig driver figures)

6 hours ago, Darat76 said:

I think the driver from the original MB is rhd, you could also try a buggy driver like the one in the bear hawk

Original MB driver is LHD, dead easy to convert to RHD.

6 hours ago, Pumesta said:

Original MB driver is LHD, dead easy to convert to RHD.

I was going by my mates vintage MB, which now is obvious to me it was converted by the builder :)

I've fitted a few drivers on my CC01's over the years and I'm currently doing another one now. Mine will be LHD so I can use a simple rod connection to the steering servo and animate his head, but it could just as easily be done with RHD.

With lexan bodies I prefer to build a platform on top of the chassis and add the driver figure and any interior details to that. Im currently using an old front section of rally cockpit interior I had kicking around to do up my Parejo Rally Sport. Fixed to a plasticard platform which holds under the front body mounts and fixed at the rear with threaded rod, nuts and a spare body mount.

B5FACDAA-A2A8-4185-A713-E20F99ACC7DB_zps

F88D9AA9-B51D-492B-BFC2-00051451B2FB_zps

Obviously this driver/co driver set up suits me here but if you just want a figure then the Monster Beetle/ Sand Scorcher driver works really well on his own

B5B08F36-D82A-40A3-902E-74A4FF6F2A27_zps

E150654D-2C9A-4F0C-8867-ED88D8CA5C1D-185

As does the head and shoulders Wild Willy driver 😉

C465C391-7445-445C-8691-F8B8D11E00C7_zps

I like to add a little bit of movement to my drivers thought either though a linkage (which the CC01 layout makes easy) or with a Y link on the servo plug.

Heres a more complicated CC01 linkage that shows the mechanism well.

Or heres a Y linked with micro servo head in action.

Thank you for the response guys. A plasticard platform looks to be the way to go I think.