richb77

Re-Re Subaru Brat steering woes

Can anyone help me?

I keep busting the steering (rod ends that clip over the metal ball) on my Re-Re Brat.

Its a little hopped up (BZ super stock motor) but thats not enough to rip the rod ends off of their threaded bars in a turn! But thats just whats happening. Strips the thread clean out of the nylon.

Has anyone got a good solution for this or is there an upgrade part that helps?

Whats stumping me is i dont know what to call them!

Try here:  

But briefly, I would use Dubro ball ends and turnbuckles...

"Dubro #2157 4-40 turnbuckles (not just threaded rod) and Dubro #2139 4-40 ball links w/2-56 hardware(2)" - cut from another website

Terry

• Like 1

or you can try and find one of these..they are still around the bay.....

0crp.jpg

I used 440 threaded rod with Du bro ball ends on my Frogs and Brat

Hi, I've just bought one of these and cant help but notice the close-ness of the white ball end and to the tyre sidewall and I think the tyre is flexing and catching the tie rod end.I'm going to space mine away with a washer between the steering hub and wheel and I think that may cure your woes. Also pop some of the silver grease with the kit on the ball so the tie rod end can operate smoother

John

I've lost the pics and the bill of materials but I rember I did the job keeping the original uprights without drilling thanks to proper rod end from Team Magic (M3 rod for 4mm balls), I did the same for my WO but wit Tamiya stuff (Tamiya 51111 ball ends)

18 hours ago, Country Mike said:

Hi, I've just bought one of these and cant help but notice the close-ness of the white ball end and to the tyre sidewall and I think the tyre is flexing and catching the tie rod end.I'm going to space mine away with a washer between the steering hub and wheel and I think that may cure your woes. Also pop some of the silver grease with the kit on the ball so the tie rod end can operate smoother

John

I wouldn't recommend putting any grease on the ball joint. Grease attracts dirt and dirt will aid the wear rate considerably, also wearing the brass ball joint out which means replacing the whole upright. You want the nylon ball cup/ tie rod end to wear first as it is the cheaper part. Grease also makes them more prone to popping off.

Whoops my bad. I did that on my HPI Sprint as I just copied the instructions. I'll wipe it off and i'm glad you pulled me up, just built mine up. Is there anyway of stopping the actually hub spinning on the star washer of the up right when you pop the wheels on or a 'hop up' part?