bjorklo

From Super Clod to Vintage Clod Buster

clod%20to%20vintage_zps31ebguob.png

After several years I finally got myself a Clod Buster. That said, I didn’t get the one I wanted, but a Super Clod Buster. I got it in a trade I did. So to bring back my childhood memories of Morten’s Clod Buster I decided to convert the Super Clod Buster into the red Vintage Original looking Clod Buster.  I didn’t want to spend to much money on this project since this will not be a shelf queen, this will be a runner, it’s to much fun in this car to put it on a shelf.

Here is some pictures of how the car looked like when I got it.

01_zpsmo9sgh02.jpg

02_zpsr43tk3tu.jpg

03_zpsq6ojxrk5.jpg

04_zpsddso36vb.jpg

05_zpscvt4btss.jpg

06_zpsvnmbw4zv.jpg

07_zpsbkn32g1x.jpg

08_zpsv6svo8vi.jpg

So this car did have some nice features such at alu upper and lower bumpers, oil shocks, locked rear steering, thicker steering rods, lights, and a wider track with. The negative for this one is that it came with a parma lexan body and not the original.  The first thing I did was to remove the wheel wider’s since this make the tires and wheels wobbel as crazy. That is really a shame, since it looks so good with em on.  I started looking for all the read parts and was lucky to find that tamiyaclub member “Madinventor” had em and was willing to sell them to me, so thanks “MadInventor” highly appriciated.

I then removed the rear steering lock

DSC_6103_zpsc9n3lxmc.jpg

To my big surprise I had these steering parts in my parts  bin from the huge collection i bought back in 2012

DSC_6105_zpszn4vba7q.jpg

The red parts and I had to get a new arm, since one of the demper mounts were broken on the old one.

DSC_613801_zpsghqqmayt.jpg

DSC_6144_zps5bd88o4a.jpg

DSC_6145_zpsdw9m029u.jpg

Since I didn’t want to spend to much on this car I got the Parma body shell just as the one the car came with. Got a little help from fellow TC member Crash Cramer, to avoid customs tax :) Here is some of the steps I did to get it painted.

DSC_6226_zpsjz3vqyzc.jpg

DSC_6227_zpsmlvk7afc.jpg

DSC_6228_zpsxmlorjez.jpg

DSC_6233_zps3gdoerhm.jpg

DSC_6241_zpstquezp18.jpg

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, kontemax said:

Where did you buy the shell please?

Max

Bought on ebay. Search for Parma and Clod buster then it should be listed. Be aware it's a very high shipping cost. 

• Like 1

Got the Fender flares today and had to start mounting em to see how it would look. 

DSC_6261_zpsou1e7x2b.jpg

DSC_6264_zpsb2rfqtt3.jpg

DSC_6263_zpsgyebxgqv.jpg

This looks so good, ok it's not original, but it really should be. 

so this was a very short project for me. i have now gotten my super Clod Buster to be more like the original vintage one, with some differences. I'm pretty sure i will not stop here, as there is so much Clod Buster aftermarked parts out there. One thing i will Do and that is to convert this one to use 2 servos for the steering, and i might buy two sets of white cva's and dye em red. And i need some lightbuckets. 

DSC_626901_zpsycw7ipb9.jpg

DSC_627101_zpsfj8dmkz4.jpg

DSC_627201_zpsvjbr1pwo.jpg

DSC_627301_zpsjqerc1ai.jpg

DSC_627401_zpsolaw0dle.jpg

DSC_627501_zpsrafb7zb9.jpg

DSC_627601_zpshktgxqkd.jpg

DSC_627701_zpsqczq9x9o.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks. 

Not quite sure as it did come with the car. It do look like a Hobby king servo, by the color. 

Today I got the Tanneau cover and fitted it. I need to mount some velcro tape to keep it down in the rear part. 

DSC_6272_zpsfcjidjks.jpg

DSC_6275_zpsrhpjzol7.jpg

• Like 1

Took my Clod Buster to the cabin for some fun in the snow. 

Sorry for my bad filming and editing, all done on my phone. And yeah I'm in bad shape as you can hear on my breathing after walking in the deep snow :) 

• Like 1

Oh, badword -seeing how it performed in the snow made me somewhat want a 4WD monster truck. And here I've been constantly telling everyone that the only cool monster truck is the Monster Beetle. Crap.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

Oh, badword -seeing how it performed in the snow made me somewhat want a 4WD monster truck. And here I've been constantly telling everyone that the only cool monster truck is the Monster Beetle. Crap.

Hehe, the Clod Buster is pretty cool also. 

And I can tell you I had Even more fun than the movie show's, when i didn't have to use one hand to film and just one hand to drive.  

• Like 1

No doubt, the Clod Buster is pretty cool. Do you think it would survive in the hands of nephews age 3 and 7? Or would you say the Clod is for uncle and something more bombproof is needed for them? :)

Yeah, I can imagine it being nigh on impossible to film and drive at the same time. 

Not sure about a 3 year old, but av 7 year old should be no problem. If you keep the standard motors, It will not run to fast, and with the big wheels it just bumps right back if it hits something. The weakness I would guess is the hard body shell, because it's easy to flip the car, so It could crack the body.