Sign in to follow this  
JoFan

Guinness Tanker?

To be honest I didn't get that far..

My tank was to be mounted to an aluminium base so it could be placed on the back of a flat bed truck, and used as a road water sprayer..

It probably wouldn't be that difficult to do..  I would look at running a piece of 10mm x 10mm (or 12mm x 12mm) aluminium angle down the length of both chassis rails on the trailer for the tank to sit on (The Tamiya tanker trailer has something similar).. Then I would cut some pieces of PVC pipe, then drill a hole in the centre, and put a countersunk machine screw through it, with a nut on the other side.. I would then glue these pieces of PVC Pipe to the underside of the tank in the gap left by the outer sheath..

I would then cut a ring off the pipe approx. 50mm wide, and then cut some pieces so that they fit between the chassis rails and can be used as clamps.. Then drill a hole in the centre.. If it all works out to plan, you should be able to put the tank on top of the trailer chassis rails, with the screws facing down.. Then put the clamp piece in from the underside of the chassis, and place it over the screw in the bottom of the tank.. Add another washer and nut, and gently tighten it down..

Do you understand what I mean?

Then you can get fancy if you like and make some ribs (like can be seen on the grey Guinness trailer) and glue them on the side of the tank.. If you make the ribs hollow, you could even put some 3mm amber LEDs in the ribs so they look like clearance lights..

• Like 1

Yeah, I get it. Taking advantage of the space left by the outer shell to make space for screws to mount it. That's a great idea! I'm liking this idea more and more. HAVE to get a couple other projects done first, though. Egress is on the bench now, then there's a frog, grasshopper, an Axial Deadbolt Grave Digger.... sigh. Too many ideas.

• Like 1