Sign in to follow this  
Rb4276

Tt-02b ms build

Started this on Sunday messing around with the tt02 metal gears. I decided to just build it stock and see what happens. So far gearboxes done with  tamiya metal motor plate 19t Robinson pinion and reedy radon motor, I might swap it with my super stock BZ until I go brushless with itimage.jpeg

3 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Looking good - how did the build go?

Issues?

Have you gone brushless yet?

JJ

Build went well, I added numerous tamiya hopups such as aluminum steering, motor heat sink and dt-02 aluminum shocks. I haven't gone brushless yet primarily because of fears with the bevel pinion gear issues even though I have the gravel hound aluminum gears to add

I finished the other half of the tamiya aluminum steering 54574 and went to take it for a spin and the car game to a halt. It appears that the spur gear teeth are becoming flat/ rounded and the 19t Robinson racing pinion gear looks a little mangle?!?

4 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

I finished the other half of the tamiya aluminum steering 54574 and went to take it for a spin and the car game to a halt. It appears that the spur gear teeth are becoming flat/ rounded and the 19t Robinson racing pinion gear looks a little mangle?!?

Are you sure you had your mesh set properly?  A piece of printer paper can be used as a feeler gage to ensure just the right amount of space is between the pinion and spur.

28 minutes ago, Effigy3 said:

Are you sure you had your mesh set properly?  A piece of printer paper can be used as a feeler gage to ensure just the right amount of space is between the pinion and spur.

To be honest I thought I did, but the other day I did remove the motor to change the pinion to a higher tooth. Could that ruin the pinion if the mesh is off along with the spur?

When you put the motor back in after changing the pinion, did you use the right set of mounting holes for your new tooth count? And is your new pinion of the correct 0.6 module pitch?

• Like 1

Like Turnip said, you have to use the right mod pinion and the corresponding holes in the motor mount.  The paper method I mentioned would work for your DN-01.  But if you got the mounting holes wrong, or used the wrong pitch pinion, then yeah, that could be enough to wreck pinion/spur.