Sign in to follow this  
Problemchild

Intro + lunchbox, beetle, TT02b, terrescorcher, Kyosho & Quads - builds and issues

Couldn't see there was an intros thread so given I only have rerelease stuff I thought I'd post here.... Feel free to move

after being well well into tamiya in the 90s, owning hotshot, clod buster and then a terra scorcher (all traded, swapped, borrowed) I forgot about tamiya me until they rereleased the lunchbox about 6 years ago and I knew I had to have one for Xmas (mid 30yr old man then)

i thoroughly enjoyed building, painting and then...... well it went in the loft

then last Xmas I saw the monster beetle was being rereleased and having always lusted I needed to have one. So I built and painted it and..... Well it  then sat behind the sofa for 6months 

so I now had 2 monster trucks and 3 sets of acoms technisport radio gear sat doing nothing so I decided to run the beetle but keep the lunchbox as shelf ware 

loved the monster beetle but soon realised the 2200mah batteries I had just weren't good enough and bought some 3300mah batteries and my love grew - in direct proportion to the increasing damage to the beetle.

things started flooding back..... Screws and nuts coming loose 34seconds into a run out that i walked 10mins to, the steering servo screw always falling out etc etc

So as my love grew I started to look for my beloved terra scorcher again - not realising how desirable they are now

so I decided I was going to buy a neo scorcher - comes in at about £100 with motor and ESC
but noticed they did a TT02b MS upgrade kit with alu shafts, prop joints, rear uprights, FRP suspension mounts and full bearing kit for £120 BUT no motor, ESC or even tyres.
Looked at buying some add ons for the Neo and was getting expensive. Plus I needed servo and another battery maybe.

Had a watch for tamiya terra scorcher on eBay and there was a guy selling off ALL his unused shelf tamiya - LOADS all built but not run!

He had TT02b MS with motor, ESC, radio gear, 2 X batteries charger spare wheels and tyres all for £180 

so I went for it......
Am I mad?

JJ

P.s. I'm going to grab myself a neo scorcher shell and sticker set and turn it into one anyway - using the pink wheels from the MS so maybe in dark grey? Thoughts?

oh and I've shuffled the garage to give me a tamiya corner...

7AFE6ECB-ABA3-43F7-8CF5-9686DB496170.jpg

and what I'm sat eagerly awaiting haha...

F92276F1-E905-47BB-A0E6-95FB23CA7131.jpe

JJ

• Like 7

Yep I feel that pain for trekking to a RC drive spot for all of a minutes driving before something breaks.

welcome!

1 hour ago, Problemchild said:

P.s. I'm going to grab myself a neo scorcher shell and sticker set and turn it into one anyway - using the pink wheels from the MS so maybe in dark grey? Thoughts?

oh and I've shuffled the garage to give me a tamiya corner...

7AFE6ECB-ABA3-43F7-8CF5-9686DB496170.jpg

and what I'm sat eagerly awaiting haha...

F92276F1-E905-47BB-A0E6-95FB23CA7131.jpe

JJ

I just finished my own tt-02b ms, so far so good and I forgot how much better/ fun 4wd is over 2wd having owned a super sabre and an avante as a kid

11 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Am I mad?

Welcome to TamiyaClub..

Are you mad?  ................Probably not yet...... LOL.. 

The madness usually starts when you start to run out of shelf space (or room) to store the next car you buy.. OR when there are 2 cars that you want, and you only have the money to buy one, and you have to decide which one you want more/first.. OR when you have that many RC cars you cant decide which ones you want to take on your RC outing, and you know that you cant fit them all in your (1:1) car.. OR when you see a new kit, and you automatically start trying to work out what hop-ups or bling bling that you could buy for it... OR when you start buying hop-ups and spares for a car that you plan to get in the future (don't own yet)... LOL.... :D:P

• Like 4

Hahaha - I think I'm already guilty of so many of them ;)

can I just get a neo scorcher shell from someone like modelsport?

JJ

Best way to find shells (or other spares) is to look up the manual on tamiyausa.com 

http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/58568ml.pdf

then look up the part numbers in the back (TT02B is of the new style manuals where the body manual and chassis manuals are separate - tamiyausa include them both in one PDF file)

then type the part numbers into a search engine or into ebay.

Some Tamiya bodysets are sold separately in what's known as a "body parts set" that includes the body, decals and any other parts required to finish it, but I think the Neo Scorcher was only available as individual spares, so you'll need to buy both decal set and body set unless you want to go decal-free or use non-standard decals from any of the many suppliers on ebay.

I hope that helps :)

Awesome ta

modelsport have it listed now I can search by the part numbers but no stock

I'll drop them a line as its way cheaper than the £30 shell on ebay

assuming the MS mounting points are no different (lookin at the PDF it seems that both models use the same part to mount the wing)

i am dreaming about my new tamiya haha

oh - and my next one will be for my 6yr old. Think it will be the Kyosho Nexxt as for £50 with motor and ESC it's a total bargain

not tamiya but a great make 

(his current rc car is from the ELC and is total dross and it's killing me in AA batteries!!)

JJ

Well the TT02 MB arrived this week along with the sport tuned 540

now i have a dilemma, the TT02 MB comes with a firebolt 15T - should i swap it out for the 540 ST?

I also have a steering issue on the TT02...... good place to discuss it here??

JJ

ok - here is my issue.... i can't get the car to track straight

full lock right seems to create an issue with the servo saver sticking maybe and then it veers off to the right until full lock left seems to free it off and it runs straight again

thoughts??

JJ

just set the end points for the steering servo to 80% to see if that helps

still struggling with 2.4ghz gear and ESCs (crystals and 3 speed speed controllers used to be so much easier)

what other issues i've come across is initially the car was slow forwards and v fast backwards and controls were backwards. reversing the radio gear (from reverse to normal) just made the controls correct but still slower forwards. So swapped the motor connections around and reset the radio gear (back to reverse) but then when i changed batteries it didn't seem to remember the settings. Still learning.... 

JJ

Perseverance is key. I also had a merry time of it setting my ESC, but now that it works properly, it is so much more controllable and efficient than the MSCs of old...

this is very true but i did used to like the "kick down" for top speed haha

i guess the trouble is all the instructions with radio gear (i have 1 set of afhds cr3p and 3 sets of acoms technisport) and they are all soooo basic and don't really explain much

so i'm fumbling my way through with help from the internet

JJ

Question RE chargers...... do they REALLY need turning off when the battery is charged?

Given mine charge in the garage, i forget they are in there.

JJ

Yes, it is recommended that you don't leave a battery unsupervised while its on the charger.. If for some reason you have an issue with the battery during the charging process, or if the charger fails to switch itself off at the end of the charge, you could end up with a fire..

If you have an issue with the steering not being centred, first try and adjust the steering at the servo saver connects to the servo, and then when it is as close as possible, then make the final adjustments with the steering trim on the radio transmitter.. However, because the TT02B is a shaft drive car, so you may notice that the car torque steers (veers off in one direction) while under acceleration..

As for the steering servo binding when you turn to the right, you need to look at what exactly is causing the steering to bind or lock.. If it is simply because the steering servo is moving too far, then maybe you can adjust that with the linkages, or the end points on the radio (if your radio has end point adjustments)..

As for the car being fast in reverse and slow in forwards... A lot of ESC only have 50% throttle in reverse.. So what you need to do is reverse the throttle channel on the radio, as well as switch the polarity of the motor wires where the connect to the ESC..

Thanks - all reall valuable advice :)

ill try and make sure my chargers go off when they are done - I know how volatile batteries can be (lithium sulphur I deal with at work and they need to be stored like you store munitions)

JJ

another Q if I may....

looking for screw spares (i have very few) can i jut buy screw bag C for the kit? (TT02B)

JJ

Yes, you should be able to buy replacement screw bags from your local hobby shop, or other online stores or eBay..

You should be able to find the screw bags part number of the last few pages of your build manual..

How did you go sorting your steering and ESC problems??

steering is still binding to some degree and i don't know if its me doing it subconsciously or accidentally but the trim settings change

ordered some alu bearings steering parts from Oz and an alu servo horn from china (99p whoop whoop)

i'm loving the car though and its soooo fast but i'm so tempted to go LiPo and brushless (maybe thats a crimbo pressie)

Poor monsterbeetle is unloved this week haha

JJ

OK, do you know what is causing the steering to bind??

Is the servo travelling too far one way, or are the linkages binding or hitting on something??

I don't own a TT02 to see what is happening myself..

i'm not 100% sure

seems to be a common issue though tbh

I have tie wrapped the servo saver for now and awaiting the servo horn and bearingd steering kit

its no biggy at present

JJ

ok so a dull sunday evening and access to ebay and a few beer tokens and this is what i have bought (mainly from the far east) to upgrade the already formidable TT02b MS 

Servo Horn (99p delivered):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361600175518?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Steering upgrade (£15 delivered):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121897942861?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Alu 12mm Hex (£1.69 delivered):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141894251692?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and now the wait begins haha

Also still looking for my neo scorcher shell and decals and given a full kit is only £80, my stupid brain is thinking that buying the kit is better VFM as i will have a HUGE pile of spares and a new set of wheel and tyres - thoughts???

JJ