Matt888

Can't decide.

A few months ago I started a post about what kit to get next. 

Anyway a few people suggested the Hotshot, so I decided I was going to get the Super Hotshot, my mind was made up but I haven't ordered it yet.

Today I took the kids out on their bikes to the local woods and whilst we were there I started thinking how awesome would this place be with a 4wd truck I would really like a crawler, so I started looking and I found that for an extra £100 - £150 I could have a Toyota Tundra, Toyota Hilux high lift and Ford F350 high lift.

The F350 is my least favorite so it would be between the Tundra or Hilux, the Tundra is about  £50 more expensive is it worth the extra because as far as I can see it's exactly the same apart from the shell.

Or should I just stick with my original decision and get the Super Hotshot, ( I wanted a Hotshot since I was a kid). 

I already have a RB E ONE R 1.8th buggy which I love to bash with, I also have a Turnigy Trooper SCT, Re Re Sand Scorcher, TL01 Subaru Impreza Rally car and my daughter has a Neo Scorcher.

So I'm thinking we don't have a crawler in our collection. 

1 hour ago, Nobbi1977 said:

I have a Tundra for sale...

just saying...

How much would you want for it posted? I'm in the UK.

Super Hotshot would be very good. Just throw a real powerful motor in there and it will fly. I have a restored supershot as a runner and it looks great and goes very well...heaps of fun.

Vintage motors the dynatech 02h and pink acto power are powerful brushed motors to put in.

• Like 1

The High Lift trucks are more scalers that can crawl somewhat, than actual crawlers. A CR-01 is more of a true Tamiya Crawler. That said, the HLs are nice runners. They don't get the attention they used to since the Bruiser got re-re'd but I still find them fun and robust. I just came inside from running mine now as a matter of fact ;). The Tundra has a longer chassis.wheelbase, but otherwise is the same as the other two. All 3 HLs benefit from larger 2.2 wheels/tires IMO, but the Hilux NEEDS them to avoid looking silly. The bigger tires help with much need ground clearance. Shifting gears is neat too. The CR-01 will out-crawl a HL by a mile. The HL's scale leaf springs are no match for the slinky coils and 4-links of the CR-01. Crawling in general is a slower paced, thoughtful way to enjoy RC. Not quite as adrenaline pumping as a buggy, but satisfying in its own way. The Super Hotshot is a great way to enjoy quick vintage 4wd. They have a nice heft to them that makes them feel substantial. All are great builds. In the end its: slow = CR01, medium (thanks to the 3-speed transmission) = HL or fast = Super Hotshot.

• Like 1

Always been a buggy fan, and I love my Super Hotshot. It gives that vintage feeling and is a very nice runner, if you just give it some modern tires. I had the same thought as you last year, and ended up buying myself a Tundra. It was a very enjoyable build, and looks awesome, but driving it didn't give me much, way boring imo. So ended up trading it away. Alot of people seem to enjoy them though, so might just be me 😀.

• Like 1

I have a bruiser a hl tundra and a hot shot. All very different.for the money and ease of maintenance and sheer bash ability,  I've been thinking about a cc01 some decent wheels and tyres and away we go. Ive thought about the cr01 for the build but cant bring myself to part with the money. Tundra and bruiser are fantastic but the bruiser is iconic Tamiya rc. sorry off point... look at the cc01line 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matt888 said:

How much would you want for it posted? I'm in the UK.

Looking for £340 posted. That is with the tamiya bearing set and another set of wheels ( have a look in the for sale section)

I don't think you will get one cheaper even going abroad and risking import fees.

pics are in the for sale section on here

• Like 1

The high lift trucks are great runners. My high lift with MFC-02 unit is by far my most run vehicle.

99E48420-CAC4-4537-8D6F-436D702790C3_zps

However my sons Axial wraith and SCX10 run circles around it on the trail. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Shodog said:

The high lift trucks are great runners. My high lift with MFC-02 unit is by far my most run vehicle.

99E48420-CAC4-4537-8D6F-436D702790C3_zps

However my sons Axial wraith and SCX10 run circles around it on the trail. 

That looks gorgeous, the Hilux and F350 are just under £300 delivered, but I'm very tempted by nobbi1977's Tundra.

Now to earn browny points with the wife. 

The Tundra is a nice body and is the one I'm missing from the trio. 

18 minutes ago, Shodog said:

The Tundra is a nice body and is the one I'm missing from the trio. 

Which one looks the nicest Hilux or F350?

1 hour ago, Matt888 said:

Which one looks the nicest Hilux or F350?

I like both. I've always loved that F350 since the first time I laid eyes on the juggernaut. I made my Juggerlux truck years before the high lift was thought of. 

9127D63F-808E-4606-A792-AE7CBCF5B0E3_zps

I also like the Hilux body but you definitely need a set of 2.2's to make it look right

On 27/8/2016 at 4:03 PM, Matt888 said:

A few months ago I started a post about what kit to get next. 

[...]

The F350 is my least favorite so it would be between the Tundra or Hilux, the Tundra is about  £50 more expensive is it worth the extra because as far as I can see it's exactly the same apart from the shell [...]

The Tundra High-Lift has longer chassis rails and driveshaft that the previous ones.

In stock fashion I'd say the Ford F-350 is the best looking of the three HL trucks. On the other hand, the Hilux High-Lift comes with those ridiculous 1.9 sized tires, BUT the good thing is you can just fit any 2.2 wheel/tire combination without making any modification to the stock built truck. Here's mine:hilux lift photo 002.jpg

The one thing I do not like about the H-L trucks is how wide are the axles. Too wide for any of the three trucks to really make them look completely realistic. Okay, not as much as the not-so-pretty stadium R/C trucks from the 90's but wheels do stand out in these models.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

The Tundra High-Lift has longer chassis rails and driveshaft that the previous ones.

In stock fashion I'd say the Ford F-350 is the best looking of the three HL trucks. On the other hand, the Hilux High-Lift comes with those ridiculous 1.9 sized tires, BUT the good thing is you can just fit any 2.2 wheel/tire combination without making any modification to the stock built truck. Here's mine:hilux lift photo 002.jpg

The one thing I do not like about the H-L trucks is how wide are the axles. Too wide for any of the three trucks to really make them look completely realistic. Okay, not as much as the not-so-pretty stadium R/C trucks from the 90's but wheels do stand out in these models.

Are those wheel the same as a Lunchbox?

1 hour ago, Matt888 said:

Are those wheel the same as a Lunchbox?

No, they're not. Lunchbox's wheels are 1.9 inch. These are actually a pair of rear Kyosho tracker 2.2 wheels, with original 1985 Tamiya Toyota Bruiser tires mounted. If you want to try them yourself, you can actually use almost any 2.2 inch wheel in the market today. And since Bruiser tires have been re-released you can also find them cheap! There's a huge amount of different tires and wheels you can choose to do like I did, actually. ;):)

Oh, and by the way, H-L trucks are not much fun hitting the dirt.

If you plan to spend that much in a RC vehicle to build and run, I guess you'll be better with a CR-01. They're much more versatile and fun!

Image result