mongoose1983

Orange Blossom Special 2 (custom diecast)

I've been a fan of this vehicle since I was a kid. Allen Gaines' legendary Orange Blossom Special 2!

I know there are scale models of the OBS2 out there, but they're too expensive. That's the reason why I decided to do one myself, using a suspiciously similar 1:32 model made by the French die-cast model company MAJORETTE. My good friend @Crash Cramer in TX helped me get a NIP one for about $2. Thanks for always being willing to help my hobbies Chris!

Here's some pictures of the process. I don't plan to make a super detailed vehicle. All I want is some eye-candy piece for my shelf, hopefully to remind me and bring out smiling memories of that amazing little truck from the good old days.

I started doing this many months ago. I've dismantled it, stripped it, painted it, and had to strip it again to start all over until the results were good enough for how I envision the truck should be. Here's some pictures for you guys to see.

I'll start with a couple of pictures of the real thing:

photo OBS real_zpsmzh7xnjs.jpg

photo OBS real 2_zpsl7k5rn0x.jpg

And this is what I started with. A 1:32 Majorette Hot Rod 1937 die-cast pick-up. Nasty purple color to strip!

photo 01 OBS_zpsbbwza4fh.jpg

As most diecast car fans know MAJORETTE is not known for their quality in workmanship or materials, but still what's fantastic about these particular 1:32 scale models to customize is the fact that they stay in one piece by the force of just one single screw, so they're THAT EASY to dismantle...

photo 02 OBS_zpsxtbgesmh.jpg

More pictures to follow... ;)

• Like 2

Removing the paint was an easy thing to do. I used Passol's Graffiti remover. This stuff is made by a local company, and I doubt it's available elsewhere. I *suppose* any graffiti remover would do the trick if you want to strip some die-cast vehicle or figure. Anyway, to the pictures...

I sprayed it and then kept it in a plastic box for about an hour:

photo 03 OBS_zpsxs2jhybr.jpg

Here's how it looked after a while:

photo 0420OBS_zpszzcce7ee.jpg

photo 05 OBS_zpszielp59i.jpg

Paint came off easily. You guys cold say I was a happy camper that day :)

photo 06 OBS_zps5tbtvyz3.jpg

The cast was not in a nice condition. Actually it was full of nasty mold flashes and imperfections. Yes guys, that's your usual MAJORETTE. So I had to sand and even file some areas, and it came out really nice fortunately.

Edit: yeah, you don't need to say it. I am going to have to cut those pipes to match the length of those in the Orange Blossom Special 2.

photo 07 OBS_zpscltmnsvk.jpg

The painting process was not relaxed. I guess that isn't a strange thing at all when you're excited about some project car! Anyway, somehow I managed to broke off the diffuser tip of the orange spray can and that shoot a uneven color so I had to stop and strip it one more time. Had to go find another can of orange enamel. They're not cheap. In the meantime the glossy black on the base/fenders was perfectly achieved!

Here's how the truck looked like after the first coat of paint came out wrong. This is the one I had to strip again to restart. Took me MONTHS to find the time --and most of all the will- to resume the work as it was pretty sad to ruin a work that was already going smooth.

photo 08 OBS_zpsuozmay0e.jpg

This is how the body looked like after I've stripped, and sanded it one more time:

photo 09 OBS_zpscd4sahs9.jpg

Not too bad...

After sanding these type of cars I would recommend some old toothbrush with very little toothpaste to remove all of the dirt and debris from the body. Before spraying the color over it, the body must be 100% clean. Washing your hands before painting can be a good thing to do, too. We have to do what's best to keep dirt and dust off our model vehicle when painting!

photo 010 OBS_zps1x5jkbzx.jpg

More later... :)

• Like 4

THAT is looking much better than stock and wow, the paint sure pops. I also want to say how lucky you are the parts were molded separate as the fenders and body, a lot easier painting job than having to mask everything off.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the positive comments!

A little update on the engine pipes. Since they go too high for the real vehicle, I had to cut them short with a hobby knife.

photo 014 OBS_zpsmcxhkmna.jpg

photo OBS engine 1_zpsvyty42t6.jpg

Now it is starting to look more in tune with the real OBS's supercharged engine.

photo OBS engine 2_zpstuhejjiq.jpg

More later :)

• Like 4

Looks good, Erich.  Nice attention to details.  Do the plastic tires come off the wheels?  I was thinking how easy it would be to 3D print some custom tires to make the model even more accurate...

• Like 1

Wow!

Thats fantastic!!

(I know, i know,i need to pull my finger out.....)

• Like 2

Resuming my work on this one because I have some days off and this year is going to be super busy...

Some updates. Did some line with a small brush (the doors' white segment right under the side windows). I will paint a little chrome and then a little black on the raised lines later:

Orange Blossom Special custom 1:32 scale die cast photo IMG_9536_zpsnrqzn24d.jpg

Then I needed to address the intricate symbols or whatever they are on the side panels rear. The only thing I could come up with is a bit of a decal from some local jeans company. Don't shoot me! It doesn't look too bad once I did something to it.

Orange Blossom Special custom 1:32 scale die cast photo IMG_9538_zpsfjejzlpz.jpg

I cut the bit, and then with a black marker and then a fine point pen I tried to make it look similar, okay, I tried, I tried... :huh:

Orange Blossom Special custom 1:32 scale die cast photo IMG_9541_zpsl5i9ozel.jpg

I'm loving it...               :wub::wub:

Orange Blossom Special custom 1:32 scale die cast photo IMG_9543_zpswxcjvwuv.jpg

I have yet to paint the front lamps and the silver sides like the real vehicle...

Orange Blossom Special custom 1:32 scale die cast photo IMG_9545_zpsjyvpvm4e.jpg

Orange Blossom Special custom 1:32 scale die cast photo IMG_9556_zpsw9nah7h1.jpg

Orange Blossom Special custom 1:32 scale die cast photo IMG_9553_zpsq3xd5fqs.jpg

I'm enjoying this 1:32 diecast project a whole lot! :lol:

Hope to do some updates to the Orange Blossom Special not to far from today.

You all have a good Thursday! :)

• Like 1