Sign in to follow this  
WRC4 me

Wheel controller for a 'leftie'?

Hi all,

I'm getting kitted out for my first run and have hit a stumbling block. I use my right hand to work the trigger when I'm slot racing and am a leftie for more technical challenges like steering an RC car.

Is there a budget-friendly controller with the wheel mounted on the left hand side? I see the Spectrum DX3 could be mounted either way but that seems to be a rare (and expensive) bird these days. I'm working on a bit of a tight budget so any guidance would be welcome.

Thanks for all and any help! 

The only one I could find;

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/absima-4-channel-radio-cr4t-ultimate-2.4ghz-incl.-receiver/rc-car-products/396837

There's not much about although I've seen a few southpaws hold the transmitter horizontally so the wheel's on the top as opposed to on one side - that way they can operate the trigger with their right hand, wheel with the left

I'm left handed but have no trouble with a regular TX - you must be wired special :D

• Like 1

Thanks Twinset. I might have to rein in my spending on hop up parts for a bit! It's odd, I was ambidextrous as a kid and would change hands half way across each line on my exercise book until the teacher rapped my knuckles if I wrote with my left hand!

My wiring's never really been fixed - I throw and play sports as a leftie, write as a righty and play pool either way, depending where the cue ball is! But definitely my trigger finger's on the right and I've got more 'feel' for the steering on the left.

Probably I'll plod on with a stock controller tipped over and write a very nice letter to Santa! 

Have you considered trying to buy a Spektrum DX3(R) radio second hand as a cheaper option??

You can also buy Orange RC receivers from HobbyKing that are a lot cheaper than the OEM Spektrum receivers..

• Like 1

The well known brand names do have leftie conversions, or actually do a leftie controller, such like spektrum, futaba, sanwa, and ko propo. Given budget constraints and the price point location of those leftie compatable radios, new prolly isn't an option.

So, as I've said before, find your local club, to get a lead on those radios that will be getting sold used by the racers as they update to the newer/newest model of their favourite brand, or when they decide to use a new brand of radio. You should be able to pick up other things from the same place, like motors, esc's servo's, even complete cars, for a good price, which is really helpful in getting one started in the rc racing scene on a very tight budget.

• Like 1

I think that Ikonnik looks brilliant for the money, mtbkym01 - thanks a lot. It's on sale in the UK and while more than in the US it's affordable. I plan to have max. 6 models so all is looking rather good for this one!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WRC4 me said:

I think that Ikonnik looks brilliant for the money, mtbkym01 - thanks a lot. It's on sale in the UK and while more than in the US it's affordable. I plan to have max. 6 models so all is looking rather good for this one!

Excellent, like I said my LHS has started selling them, and the owner is even using one for his trail truck to save his good Hitec race controller from damage in case he drops in while walking. It also has a drop down wheel, just like a high end radio

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WRC4 me said:

so that reads "I have 6 models on my list of to get for the moment"

ask pretty much everyone here, it started with a set number, and went on from there :lol:

• Like 2

Yes, I'm sure you'll be ribbing me before long Darat76! The plan is as follows...

• TL-01 rally setup with drift tyres for the car park (Impreza 97 body)
  • TT-02 rally setup on HPI Pirelli tyres for loose/smooth surfaces (Celica GT-Four 93 body)
  • DF-03ra rally setup on Rally Block tyres for rough stuff (Lancer Evo V body)
  • XV-01 rally setup on Rally Block tyres as the best of all worlds! (Celica GT-Four 1990 body)
  • Sand Rover for the beach (stock setup, custom paint)
  • Sand Scorcher for the beach (stock setup, custom paint)

I'd also really like to get an FF in rally set up with a Škoda Felicia Kit Car body on that I've seen on sale in the Czech Republic. I used to work for Škoda when these cars were in the front line and did three seasons of 1:1 rallying as part of the team - but the cost looks prohibitive at the moment. 

Let's see how far off target I drift in the months ahead!!

Nah I won't give you stick about it mate, I'm the worst for it, told the missus I'd only have my 2 racers and about 4 tamiya cars, currently I have 2 racers by serpent, and 7 cars, selling 2 of the tamiya cars, have 6 waiting for me at my LHS, 1 to come from a private seller in the next week or so, looking to sort another one, and prolly pick up a third racer.

So I'm gonna be the last one to stir ya :lol:

• Like 1

On 9/24/2016 at 6:49 PM, Frog Jumper said:

ARRMA ATX-300

http://www.arrma-rc.com/pdf/manuals/380004%20EN.pdf

My daughter is a lefty and whenever I get around to building her a basher, I'll probably pick up one of these...  

Terry

I have one of these and while the design is inspired, the durability isn't.  The throttle spring snapped in less than a dozen battery packs.  I was able to repair it quite easily using a rubber band from my daughters "Rainbow Loom".

I had been using it for VRC duties but now it just sits in the Arrma Fury box which is the RTR SCT that it came with.  I'm 90% sure that inexpensive FlySky receivers will work with it.  Sadly they seem to be selling for $100-$130 every where I look.  They are NOT worth that king of money!