Hibernaculum

Projects you consider "underway"...(yet have been idle for years)

Few things illustrate the passing of time quite like an unfinished R/C project. In fact, sometimes they terrify me. :lol: I seem to have so many "projects", or things I "plan to do", that occasionally I'll open a box and find a car in it, and recall that I'd intended to do something with that car literally years ago, and forgot about it...

"Can it really be 3 years since I last worked on this car? Wasn't it just a few months ago that I painted the driver? What else have I been doing in that time...?"

The answer to that last question is of course, lots: research, hunting for things online, writing, emailing, fixing other cars, buying, selling. And of course, composing new time-wasting threads on Tamiyaclub to talk about the time I've been wasting. But still, there are some projects that sit idle for years and years....and years. Waiting for the motivation, the spare parts, or just the right rainy weekend with no other responsibilities...

How many R/C projects do you have that have been untouched for years? And will you be alive long enough to finish them? :blink:

To end on a positive note, I'd also hate to run out of things to do. So maybe life is really about never finishing?

• Like 4

Other than the project I am currently working on, my only idle project is the steel king tiger I started back in 2010. I came up against a major design issue and have not been able to resolve it without outlaying large sums of cash, so it sits idle, waiting for me to get round to it, which I probably never will. Still, it ran once........

• Like 1

this problem is what made me change my approach this year. I have way too many projects, but at least they are packed away safely so they can wait while I get organised. I am time poor (work, kids etc), so this year I looked at what was really important and set my goals. I also looked at what would help me work better, as some of my projects required space and equipment I didn't have. So far I'm happy with my progress, although I am a little behind where I want to be :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Yep lots, off the top of my head:

My original (and 1st) Fox

An original SS (never run) that needs a tidy up

An original RR that needs a tidy up

My Original Big Bear

An original Optima

An original Turbo Optima

An original Top Force

An original 'Edinger' RC10 Gold Pan

A Kyosho Pegasus

My Schumacher CAT XLS

umm, yeah that's probably enough for now, it's scaring me the more I think about it

oh, forgot about the Monster Beetle that has been started, and the Bigwig that is on the work bench

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hibernaculum said:

How many R/C projects do you have that have been untouched for years? And will you be alive long enough to finish them? :blink:

Don't know how many + I hope so !

I started building my first Tamiya R/C 1/16 tank - M4 Sherman - about 12 years ago and for some reason it got put back in its box and up in the attic...I've since bought & completed 2 other tank kits this year - KV-1 & KV-2...must get round to finding that Sherman...

Also have a few 1/14 track chassis built up...just got to paint the bodies now. Chassis were built up over a year ago.

Quite a few other unfinished models around...have to keep hiding new purchases from the wife !   

• Like 1

Guilty as charged, but you talk about "literally years" Hib, but for several of my "projects, counting in decades is more appropriate.  Two examples; I cut the roof of a Monster Beetle body and put it (the body, not the roof ;-) ) on an SRB-chassis with roof wing (a la Blazing Blazer) and chopped up a Wild Willy body to build a long wheelbase sand dragster (with Wild One front suspension, Hornet gearbox, skinnies up front and Wild Willy tires in the rear) before I joined the army for my mandatory service in 1987, and both projects have stayed almost unchanged since even though I would love to complete them. Since then, a lot more "projects" have joined them. Of course many have been completed, but probably more are still unfinished.

Earlier in life, I wasn't worried about this as I kind of thought I would live "forever" and be able to work on models "forever" too. That has changed, and sometimes I feel sad, knowing that I will be gone long before all the models can be completed even if I could spend all my time working on them. Then again, I don't take myself too seriously and think that what's important is that I enjoy the hobby and life in general. I would still like to complete that topless Beetle, the 40cm wheelbase sand dragster Jeep and a couple of others though……

• Like 6

Oh dear, I think I'll spare you all from the list, worse than some, not as bad as others ;)

A Bruiser that is still unfinished after 2 years (some more clear coat, final assembly of body accessories and LED's), a Mountain Rider (more clear coat, then decals and all the rest of bits as per Bruiser), a few NIB kits one coming upto 2.5 years old (Avante BS), another Bruiser and Sand Scorcher.

Lots yet to finish, but only minor stuff, Hornet driver, City Turbo drivers head, GF01 driver and dash, DT03T half complete, Lunchbox details to finish, WW2 driver and final details to finish, it seems I get to the bulk and the silly little jobs go undone for ages, maybe I need to do a mass session of outstanding bits seems drivers and odd bits are probably the bulk of it, the kind of parts you forget when mass spraying a shell because they are the after thoughts you get to after having assembled everything else. 

• Like 1

This is me all over. At the moment I have the following electric powered cars sat idle because i swapped to nitro:

Sand Scorcher was listed on site 2002!

Super Champ was listed on site 2012

Wild Willy has never even been listed

Audi Quattro was listed on site 2008

• Like 1

Well,

There's this one,ended up only moving in July, even that dragged on longer than it should! 

Then there's 

DSC_0185.jpg

And

DSC_0114.jpg

And 

DSC_0346.jpg

Also an Ultima, which was so so close (just needed to fit the radio gear) , but found out this morning that the , never been used rear bridgestone tyres have perished 😔

• Like 1

Lots. 

• I want to rebuild an original 58028 Hilux that I got a couple years ago.  It's sitting on a shelf.
  • A Kyosho Raider needs a body cut and painted.  Chassis was completed last year.
  • Another ARR Raider has been torn down and cleaned and is now waiting to be rebuilt.
  • Another Raider has been torn down and is waiting to be cleaned and rebuilt.
  • Another Raider sits on a shelf waiting to be torn down and rebuilt.  (It's not that I love Raiders, it's just that they are cheap and kind of fun).
  • An original Kyosho Blizzard that needs its original body painted.  Just haven't got the motivation to decide on a color scheme/layout and get it done for the past 20 years.
  • A Kyosho Assault that I got from eBay that I want to tear down, clean and rebuild as a shelfer.
  • A Tamiya Monster Racer that I want to rebuild.  It's already been torn down and cleaned and sits in a box.
  • A Kyosho Rocky needs to be torn down and rebuilt.
  • A Kyosho Lazer ZX needs to be torn down and rebuilt.

Not much Tamiya in that list.  Mostly because I've already finished the rebuilds of some and haven't gotten new ones due to lack of storage space.

This year the summer season is already over and I've only driven two cars once all in the same day.  Literally once.  Just was not feeling the R/C mood this year due to other real life stuff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MadInventor said:

Had a look at this, the wheel adapters are quite rare and made by  company in the UK called SRM, who have now become RW racing. 

Thanks, I always wanted to know where they came from.

Max

I have a few  to do or move them on.

Nikko Super Sprint with Up Works bottom Brat Chassis & with original Up Works Gold Top  mod motor

Original Turbo Optima

Hot Shot 2 in a very bad way but critical parts are there.

Original Frog all there but Lots of work needed

Kyosho Gallop

Simple don't have time to work on these but I have them LOL

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

I think we can all relate.

1bdd869e28a41cddd0a04c94c49d3ea8.jpg

Eliminate the money line for me.

Max

• Like 1

All of them, but kind of more on a serious note.

A vintage Tamiya SRB of some kind, might have been the big shock and the reservoir on the back. Front end and rear end I have, need chassis plate and lots of bits and bobs.....and a body.
A vintage Kyosho Scorpion type chassis, cept it was the one with the nitro motor on the back. No body, quite a few bits missing, including the motor.

Not really sure what to do with them.

A couple original Ultimas (been looking for ages, then two come up....who'da thunk it?). Want to make one good one out of them.....or somesuch.

Also have and old Kyosho Rampage in bits with no body that I also am not sure what to do with.

• Like 1