StrokerBoy

Winter Build Off 2016

If this is an inappropriate post, please delete it.  But shortly after I signed up to this site I became gripped by all the ideas being thrown around in the WBO2014 threads, so much so that I dreamed up my own build, bought a secondhand car and modified it to suit.  It didn't actually fit the chosen theme in the end, but I loved all the stuff that people were coming up with and it inspired me to do my own.  I'm not sure if WBO ever really came to a conclusion, or that it happened again in 2015 ?

So if it does happen again this year, I'll be following all the ideas very closely.  Most of the cool stuff I 'build' never actually makes it out of my head anyway... :)

• Like 1

I don't see why anyone would think it inappropriate. A build off is always fun, whether you're taking part or spectating. It's amazing the ideas and inspiration that can be generated through each stage, from pre-event discussions to builds to finished vehicles.

• Like 1

We've had some great build-offs in the past.  There was a lot of interest in the 2014 WBO but a lot of us failed to make the deadline by some margin.  My 2014 car is still on the shelf gathering dust.  In fact, I can't believe it's nearly 2 years since I started it!

I personally love the WBOs where we choose a specific kit to build in our own way, but I appreciate that's hard for a lot of people to justify at a time of year when they're supposed to be spending on other people.  It's also difficult for people who don't want the chosen kit, for whatever reason.

Then I guess 'themed' builds are difficult if people aren't interested in the theme.  Personally I love building Mad Max, Halloween or drift-themed cars but if the chosen theme was 'circus' or 'rose garden' I might give it a miss.

I'm hopeful that Christmas 2016 will be a chance for me to relax as the last few months have been crazy and it's only going to get worse over the next 2 months, I'd love to think I can kick back and enjoy a WBO and put out some good work, but truth be told, I'll probably be as busy as I am every other year and end up with another half-finished project sitting on the shelf.  The sensible thing would be to finish the ones I already have.

So, with that in mind, what's the theme for 2016's WBO and what car are we all going to buy to complete it? :D

• Like 1

I loved the concept but never partook.

Maybe a base as the theme might be an idea. 

What can you build with a WR-02 gearbox?

Wild MF-01 builds?

just two I could use up spare parts with :-p

I'm not sure how people will feel about this, but, would anyone what to do builds for charity?

I've looked at my 'stock' of half finished builds/resorations and decided one less wouldn't make a huge difference to me, but could make a difference, and with a recent sequence of events, the latter being Channel 4 in the UK's 'stand up to cancer' , I've made a push to get one closer to completion ready for an ebay listing in a couple of weeks time (27th November).

Charity would be a nice idea but it would take a few months for me to collect bits and build something.

We could stage eBay auctions at the same time and have a "winner" who sells for the most. If we went sans-electrics it would bring down costs a lot

• Like 2

Thought it would be a bit short notice.I'm cracking on with it, the listing date chosen is the weekend after my nightshift weekend to hopefully let me do some final touches!

Sans electrics (leave in a silver can?), sounds like an idea for the future.

15 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a build-off?

This is a previous one to give you an idea.

• Like 1

Theme proposal: vehicles from history.

It could be anythng from a Trojan Horse, JFK Lincoln Continental, Merry Pranksters bus or the infamous Type 59 Tank of Tiananmen Square.

• Like 1

@Wooders28, what exactly is your charity plan?  Are you building something which you will then auction off with the proceeds going to charity?  My first thought was "if I'm going to buy or build a kit, I want to do it for me" but as my wife keeps telling me, I have way too many cars already and the excuse to buy another one is marred by having very little space in which to put it.  It seems like a neat way in which to justify an enjoyable build without having to add to my already overflowing clutter :D

The only drawbacks I can see are: a) my builds are usually very specific to my tastes, and as a result, a finished kit is usually worth less on the open market than it was before I started it, and 2) not everybody can afford to put in time and money only to give it all away afterwards.

But actually I think it's a neat idea and maybe one to consider.

That is the reason I never sell kits, they are always worth less than they owe me in money terms.

If you need to shell out then it would be cheaper just to give money to charity but if you have cupboards and lofts full of half projects and unfinished dreams then it could work out well

I would rather build something that might sell than a themed piece not to my taste 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Nobbi1977 said:

Maybe a base as the theme might be an idea. 

What can you build with a WR-02 gearbox?

Wild MF-01 builds?

just two I could use up spare parts with :-p

You may be onto something with "using spare parts" - a long time back there was a thread about building a runner out of whatever parts you have.  This came back to me last night as I was thinking about a winter build-off, I wonder if there's scope for a "what can you build out of bits you already have?"  With bonus points for the craziest, wackiest car that actually runs.

11 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a build-off?

In TC history, it's a non-competitive event where a bunch of us choose a 'base' (usually a particular NIB kit or a given theme) and a given timeframe (like the winter holidays) and we all aim to finish on the same day to compare the results.  It's not as popular as it used to be, I guess partly due to the economy, but there were some great builds in days gone by.  Some while back we had an M04 Alfa Romeo build-off with some really neat results and a Golf GTI TT01 build too, I remember being amazed at the variety of different designs that people went for.

On some other forums they have competitive build-offs.

The hard thing is choosing a 'theme' that fits for everyone's budget and tastes.

• Like 1

@Mad Ax I've got a project i started a while back thats just been collecting dust, and just thought it would serve a better purpose. So I'll be selling it off and donating the proceeds to charity. I wasn't intending it to be a build off, just throwing it out there.

I'm not suggested purchasing new kits and selling them off for a loss, just an old chassis and left over bits that can be cobbled together to make something sellable, on a specific date, finished or not.

Maybe one to think about for the future, decide some rules ,no new parts?, no electrics? Has to have one part from another TC member? 

• Like 1

So, who is up for some kind of WBO this year?  @StrokerBoy, you want to take the lead and start a poll on the theme?

Figuring I might treat myself to my last NIB for a while at the beginning of December, if anyone wants to do a model-specific build-off, alternatively I'm possibly up for a themed build-off if we vote on theme or a junk build-off if we fancy the idea of building from parts :)  Or anything else that people might suggest :)

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

So, who is up for some kind of WBO this year?  @StrokerBoy, you want to take the lead and start a poll on the theme?

I'm unlikely to be able to take part this year (lack of time) so it's only fair to let someone else drive it.  Personally I like 'theme' ideas best, and the bare minimum of rules and timescales - it's supposed to be fun rather than competitive.  I'll sit back and see what gets suggested/selected.  I do have some half-finished and NIB kits so you never know, I might get inspired when you all start talking about it...

• Like 1

I like the "only use what you already have" idea... all my fun money goes to the MG these days.