Sign in to follow this  
firefoxussr

McLaren F1 GTR / Spider TF3 PureTen help

I've finally acquired an F1 GTR longtail body, it's 280mm wheelbase and 220mm wide. *    
kyo_30701.jpg$_1.JPGKyosho-GP-Spider-MkII-McLaren-F1-GTR.jpg

I bought it without a chassis or a plan.  Or the knowledge that it wasn't a standard dimension touring car.   I just noticed there seems to be two versions of the shell, one includes the roof inlet extension - as pictured with Gulf and Lark livery here.  The other appears to be a different mold with no extension, I have the latter.   It also appears that the former is a 200mm, wide 260mm wheelbase body.    Also note the wing is different. like these:http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=93307&sid=24222  http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=86246&sid=28462

I'd like to make a brushless version on a modern brushless chassis.

The closest fit I've found initially is the Redcat Pagani Huyara.  It's 210mm wide and 277mm in wheelbase.  That seems to be a good fit.  The width will easily be used by dished/staggered wheels.  I have some reservations about Redcat, but they don't seem to have a dwindling part supply or anything.  Anyone have experiences with them?

EC-REDCAT-Pagani-PRO-6.jpg

But this gets me thinking, perhaps there's a 1/8th or 1/9th scale brushless chassis that could be downsized easily?  Maybe even a Tamiya?

*if anyone has the decal set unused, I'd love a scan.  or a parts tree for the wing/mirrors/etc.

I was considering using up one of my Sakura FGXs, they're a 270mm wheelbase. But there's no way to flip the arms as they tie into the inboard rear suspension system.  Same with using a lot of spacers.

The body you have is for the super 1/8 size cars like the Kyosho FW03 and 04. The Lark and Gulf bodies above are 1/10. The yellow SOK is the 280mm like yours. Is yours complete with the stickers?

Don't know anything about Redcat, so can't comment.

The shell you purchased is for a Super Ten, which was GP.

I think I know where you can get decals and plastic parts for reasonable price.

I'll check and PM you.

• Like 1

Just for you info on Super Ten size:

UENO CLINIC -

Bodyset:  39534

Decals:  39534-1

Plastic Parts:  39534-2

GULF -

Bodyset:  39535

Decals:  39535-1

Plastic Parts:  39535-2

FINA -

Bodyset:  39832

Decals:  39832-1

Plastic Parts:  39832-2

• Like 1

@firefoxussr

How are you getting on with the McLaren?

I had a quick look for SOK today and found nothing, as expected.

These are the shells I was chasing.  I wanted the Kyosho CLK GTR, but they are so rare I settled  for the Tamiya version.  It's a shame because the Tamiya shells are smaller than the Kyosho items.

WP_20170129_16_00_22_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

On 17 January 2017 at 8:28 AM, firefoxussr said:

I've finally acquired an F1 GTR longtail body, it's 280mm wheelbase and 220mm wide. *    

But this gets me thinking, perhaps there's a 1/8th or 1/9th scale brushless chassis that could be downsized easily?  Maybe even a Tamiya?

SuperTen width is easy, it's just a std width 1/10 buggy made to go onroad. ;) That's what Kyosho did to Optima Mid & Ultima to make ScaleSeries.

For wheelbase, Kyosho made Long Wheelbase chassis plates for the Optima Mid Special which went on ScaleSeries. (IMHO they scaled the body to fit the chassis they had rather than really making a true scaled model of real car)

DF03 will get you up to 272mm.

If you're feeling rich Yokomo tried in recent years for a LWB drifter, based on their DIB chassis. DIB LWB goes to 275mm long, but it's only 200mm wide (yok likes pretty deepdished wheels too). Yok does have longer axles from earlier tourers too.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, M 800STD said:

@firefoxussr

How are you getting on with the McLaren?

I had a quick look for SOK today and found nothing, as expected.

Just fine.  This is a long term project.  I'm currently fixing decal artwork for a trade... scan of the Gulf livery sheet.  Ahead of the McLaren in the build queue: M06 Porsche 911 GT2, TA05 IFS, TA02.

I found that I'd been looking to hard for a chassis when it is obvious... 

1_1_1.jpg

Apparently some Kyosho Fazer EPs (like the Dodge Charger) feature a 274mm wheelbase.   The car is only 200mm wide but I plan on running extra wide offset wheels anyway :-D

On 1/19/2017 at 3:55 PM, salvine said:

The body you have is for the super 1/8 size cars like the Kyosho FW03 and 04. The Lark and Gulf bodies above are 1/10. The yellow SOK is the 280mm like yours. Is yours complete with the stickers?

I do not currently have the SOK decals but would love a scan if you know anyone.

And thanks for the note, I've clarified my car is a SuperTen not a PureTen.   The Lark and Gulf cars are PureTen, the SOK and Fina cars are SuperTen.  This only refers to the 'longtail' F1 GTR, Kyosho has made many 'standard' F1 GTRs.

mclaren_f1_gtr_le_mans_1997.jpg

^Longtail, or 1997 onwards

mclaren-f1-lm.gif

Standard F1 GTR, or pre-1997

@firefoxussr

Good, looks like I'll have to wait to see.

I can still remember the University trip to McLaren, when they were building the F1.  Just awesome and so happy to have had this opportunity.

Here in Woking, the McLaren cars are quite common.  See them every day, morning, noon and night.

Mclaren P1

Been stuck behind this one a few times.  The same car used in Top Gear.

We went to M's 30th anniversary at BMW HQ and this turned up...

25072010303.jpg

25072010301.jpg

25072010302.jpg

Check out the License plate.  He drove off headsets on, so loud.

@WillyChang

This talk about chassis lengths and the Super Ten being based on buggy dimensions have given me new inspiration.  I never twigged.

Thanks.

• Like 1

haha yeah, the 190mm electric touring car wasn't invented till about 1987 when Tamiya docked the MantaRay into the TA01; Yok did the same to then current Dogfighter into YR4 or YZ4 whatever they called it... nitro tourers went 200mm. 

So Mid 80s if you wanted an onroad electric 1/10 you put a closed wheel body onto your buggy and mounted foam tyres into the 2" wheels (chuck wheel on lathe/drillpress lop off the ribs). 

There's a fair few vintage 3rd party bodyshells made for buggy size, especially the short stumpy GrpB rally cars.

Nitro 1/10 onroad was "F3" to the "F1" of 1/8th onroad racing; they were 2WD scaled down... think they were 255mm wide?

Kyosho FW & Landmax were orphans that nobody else followed, except T with their TGX and the 1/8th mini. T had a brief dalliance with BMT for nitro onroad but it didn't last too long.

Ironically family had the yellow SuperTen :mellow: nice shell but too many finicky tack-on bits for a serious gas car haha.... but good thing they gave so many extras. LHS back then used to build kits for customers and all these unused cosmetic bits piled up... until we went & raided the cache.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, M 800STD said:

@firefoxussr

Good, looks like I'll have to wait to see.

I can still remember the University trip to McLaren, when they were building the F1.  Just awesome and so happy to have had this opportunity.

Here in Woking, the McLaren cars are quite common.  See them every day, morning, noon and night.

Mclaren P1

Been stuck behind this one a few times.  The same car used in Top Gear.

Oh you live in motorcar Mecca.  LOL at the fact of being stuck behind a P1 in traffic.

I've only seen one P1 in person, that was at the local exotic car dealer.

IMG_20150730_131452_zpssucer9yz.jpg

I have to say, and this holds true with the 12C too, you can't appreciate the curves and design of the car unless you see one in person.  The pictures don't do it any justice.

IMG_20150730_131917_zpsctkbtlvy.jpg

• Like 1

@WillyChang

Thanks for the explanation.  I suppose when I was messing about with buggy's then went to touring cars I just didn't think or look for similarities, as they were so different compared to each other.

Well that's it for me and shells.  I'm just going to build the x3 shells pictured above and keep x3 1/10 cars, although I have spotted a TF-3 CLK GTR I'm tempted with - but it's finished.  :unsure:

@firefoxussr

Absolute nuisance those cars, causing congestion.  :P

They are just beautiful.  Seeing them on the road is even better. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2017 at 9:27 PM, Byteme909 said:

I have an extra set of SOK McLaren decals, trim/details and the livery sheet.

I just now saw your post.  I will PM you.

Just scored a new in box 1/10 GTR Gulf body set and a Superten GTR body with wing parts no stickers. Pretty excited about these.

I still have this body and it's still a long term project.   The good news is, there's a new chassis out that would fit this nicely.  Wheelbase and track are very close.

Traxxas 4-Tec 3.0, the oversized touring car.  From what I've seen online and in person, it's a 288mm wheelbase and 204mm track.  I do like the C8 Corvette but I'm going to find someone who has one with a beat up body and rebirth it as a McLaren F1 GTR LT.  And brushless, obviously.

spacer.png

• Like 1

lol, you are as bad as me - long term project.

You may be interested in these on ebay...

On 1/21/2022 at 1:27 PM, M 800STD said:

lol, you are as bad as me - long term project.

You may be interested in these on ebay...

Thank you sir!  I don't own the plastic parts, just the shell itself.   My plan is with such a rare shell to duplicate it with a home vacuum former.  I finally this year bought a new uncut HPI McLaren F1 GTR body, the early version from the late 90s that was pulled from hobby stores because McLaren forbid it / sued.

I have high resolution scans of the decal sheets.  I'm going to modify them for a clear lighting fixtures and a few other improvements for scale accuracy.

No problem.  There is/was a Harrods set on ebay for good money and IIRC a Gulf set.

If the Harrods set has gone, I know someone who has one.

Just a little update, a few weeks ago I bought a Traxxas 4tec 3.0 as a friend was selling one with the Supra body (which i'm just bashing with friends). Interestingly there's a whole different tub for the Corvette C8 version at 288mm wheelbase vs 272 for the Supra.

Today I bought a Gulf body NIB from an eBay seller whom I buy lots of Tamiya stuff from (including chassis only for M06, my first TT02 and multiple rere bodies).

I'm considering that my non-so good condition body without decals will become the moldmaking body and the new one will be the shelfer.  

spacer.png