Sign in to follow this  
Buggyjam

The road to dremel town

Do you ever start a project and find you get so far and then out comes a dremel and before you know it you're heading down dremel highway doing serious surgery to doggedly persue a project :D?

Im into such a project and now I'm at that point. Got my lower shocks on my Clod, but the transmission cases foul the bottom of the chassis.  So I'm removing the portions of chassis to allow the transmissions to ride up inside. After which I plan to make up some cross braces to form a hollow square between the shock mounting points. I may run the braces all the way down the chassis. 

Don't me get me wrong I studied alternatives before committing but doing this beats buying a metal chassis which would be over a hundred. Plus I don't like the look of the CPE old school chassis. Looks too mechano. I can hide my bracing inside. I don't like the look of the stock clod so knew I was getting into this when I bought the kit, just didn't realise I'd be doing surgery, woops  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I know that feeling. In fact, it's getting to the point where an RC vehicle isn't really "mine" until I hack some part of it up.

• Like 1

Yep I did a Team CRP FX10  front  end conversion on a Super Hornet and it was a night mere get all the geometry correct.

The Dermal was used every step along the way.

• Like 1

Realizing that I'm just getting started and still on my first RC but I keep putting off the 5th shock mod because I DON'T want to start chopping the car up. 

Switching out shocks, hardware, adding strut braces, moving body mounts all of this is reversible but as soon as the wheel hits the plastic (what a weird way to say it!) All bets are off.

Then also... Every time I compress the rear springs I can see the rear end slop all over because it needs that 5th shock... :huh:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Munchbox said:

Realizing that I'm just getting started and still on my first RC but I keep putting off the 5th shock mod because I DON'T want to start chopping the car up. 

Switching out shocks, hardware, adding strut braces, moving body mounts all of this is reversible but as soon as the wheel hits the plastic (what a weird way to say it!) All bets are off.

Then also... Every time I compress the rear springs I can see the rear end slop all over because it needs that 5th shock... :huh:

You know the most dangerous thought process for me is "ah come on, it's only a tenner for a new chassis. Not like it's £250 for the whole kit again" and then I feel liberated :-). To be fair I have had fun chopping it up and thinking about what to do next re bracing etc and I suppose that's what it's all about.

Helps with the clod I bought it knowing what I wanted to do so deliberately didn't dwell too much on getting nostalgic over the box, packaging and all that (apart from ogling the massive tyres)

If it makes you feel better, I built a lunchbox a week ago and it's stock. A dremel will not be going anywhere near it. My girlfriend bought it for me.  :D.

There's something about Lunchbox.. almost makes me want to keep it stock. Must be nostalgia.

But this box has to run alongside an ECX Ruckus, ECX Amp and a Iron Track Katana so stragglers will not be tolerated. I think I'll put the 5th shock on tomorrow :rolleyes:

How about using Pintopower's Ampro gearbox pivot for the Lunchbox? No need for a 5th shock, and the modifications to the chassis are minimal in comparison.

I like the idea of the ampro brace but it seems like it wouldn't allow full movement for the rear shocks. If I hold down the center of the gearbox with my finger and compress one of the rear shocks the center of the gearbox still moves up a little with it.

I feel like the 5th shock would allow a better range of movement for the rear shocks. 

the brace holds the gearbox so it is in the center of the slots when in neutral, instead of completely down. This is why the brace works so well. As far as I can see from my CW-01 Pajero, there is no loss in suspension movement, and I had the 5th shock before.

Yup, my Dremel sits permanently on my garage workbench so I can grab it quick every time I realise what I have in mind won't fit.

A long while ago I bought a modded TA01/02 hybrid with a Robbe CJ7 Laredo shell on it.  The job has been exceptionally well done and it looked perfect, but I couldn't live with the CJ7 over an independently-sprung chassis, so I bought a Losi MRC and TCS L-trail chassis rails to go with it.  It made the perfect chassis for the CJ7.

Except the Robbe shell has a moulded interior which wouldn't go over the gearbox, so out came the Dremel to hack up a larger transmission tunnel between the seats.

It's when you do something like that to something so rare and special that you realise you are chasing an unattainable level of perfection :D