Sign in to follow this  
kaylon

TRF211XM news...

Interesting, but probably just a "minor" upgrade as in nothing revolutionary. Like it's been with the 4WD cars over the last years.

Looking forward to more details anyway :)

I don't like that Tamiya went with 211 for the name. They already had a TRF211X back in 1990.

211x.jpg

• Like 2

There is some things about this car that just don't make sense, some good - some bad.

• When will Tamiya quit with the NiMh packs in their high performance cars? It will be weird trying to mount a shorty pack horizontally in this car and I think the longitudinal battery mount has been proven to not work as well as horizontal so with the appearance of a longitudinal only mount makes it seem like they are a year behind the times again.
  • Why a carbon fiber rear damper stay and plastic up front?
  • For the money and for the rest of the aluminum on this, it should be coming with aluminum rear hubs.
  • NO HEXES!!
  • Good on Tamiya for using the gray ballcups
  • The Big Bores are great
  • I like the carbon battery strap, though it looks like it only functions for longitudinal battery mounting.

I contemplated the 201 XM for quite a while. I decided to pass purely for the fact that I have to stock up on tons of spare parts due to no local parts supply. I literally just finished building this today (AE B5m Lite):

IMG_2627_zps5bctnhng.jpg

IMG_2620_zpsup3ztodj.jpg

IMG_2637_zpsqxglxrkh.jpg

Nice B5. :)

I think the TRF211XM promotional picture shows a LiFE pack, not NiMH.

Dang Greg, you are right! I have never really looked at LiFe packs. Does anybody actually run them other than in Japan?

I understand, but what about the lower voltage of LiFe packs, 6.6V versus 7.2V of 6-cell NiMH and 7.4V of 2-cell Lipo?

Tamiya only sells idiot-proof electronics. This is why they don't sell Lipo or lipo-supporting electronics. Racers use Lipo because it's going to be quicker. Where rules allow use of Lipo, it will always be faster than LiFe (power to weight).