Sign in to follow this  
topforcein

grand hauler rear axles

Started the build on my grand hauler.

Got to the rear axles and they don't marrie up. When I put the prop shaft between them it is of centre and not in line. Is this normal. Know the both alxes are built and installed as the instructions and the pictures.

Any ideas if and where I've gone wrong.

Looks fine to me. Its just the diff output shaft is off centre. Similar to the buses I work on at work. If thats what it says in the manual, then it'll be fine.

James

:)

No it don't say about it being of centre. I've just noticed the shocks are on the bump stops also and there is no suspension travel also

It doesn't show if it meant to be off centre the front one of the rear axles is not the same as there at one I mean by that the axle cases are the same shape to each other but the front one is rotated differently to the rear one this is what is shows in the instructions if that makes any sence??????

They should be off centre. Exactly the same as the king hauler I built. Don't worry about it.

Does the diffs turn in the same direction ? Not fighting each other .

Just looking at it , I would have thought that would line up ,

only because the way the diffs look . Why would one diff be one way & the other

the other way as the crown & pinion are in different directions ?. Have you got one upside down ?.

I'm properly wrong !

Topforcin, What you have done is Correct...

Are you going to install an MFC-01??

Why would one diff be one way & the other

the other way as the crown & pinion are in different directions ?. Have you got one upside down ?.

I'm properly wrong !

The output pinion gear of the front/first axle turns the opposite way to the input pinion gear due to them both being driven by the crown gear, so therefore you need to install the rear axle upside down, or the opposite way around so all 4 wheels turn in the same direction....

• Like 2

Topforcin, What you have done is Correct...

Are you going to install an MFC-01??

Great as I said in the instructions (pics) it shows you to install the both axles in a different way trouble each other but I didn't expect the shaft to be of center.

Also are the both axles supposed to have little suspension travel.

And yes I am installing the mfu

What do you mean by limited suspension travel?

Like when you press down on the fifth wheel? If so then yes, you will only get about 8-10mm travel...

Please remember that they are typically 1/14 scale on-road vehicles (the Grand Hauler especially), and representative of their 1:1 counterparts..

I've just installed an MFU in my King Hauler (same cab as the Grand Hauler) and I'm curious to see how you do it, and if you decide to keep the interior...

If you would like me to post some pics of my MFU install, let me know.. There is also a Grand Hauler build on the Tamiya USA website where they also keep the interior..

I have only got as far as the axles yet and the suspension. This is my first truck.

As for the mfu I do plan on using the interior esp the driver figure. If you have never seen Matteo's utube channel go look his video are the best out their (good enough for tamiya USA to use to promote rc,s). He recently got a grand hauler and he has also kept the interior. So I asked him for a few photos and he kindly obliged so I will follow that .

• Like 1

So did you sort this out & have you finished it yet ?.

Yes I got it sorted thanks after taking it apart about 6 times then getting propped miffed of with it took it to my lhs to compare it with the built ones they have on display. As i also had a problem with the gear shift and I got the advise I need to sort it.

• Like 1