Sign in to follow this  
nismospeed

the worst tamiya rc car??

ok so we have had the best, so in your opinion what it the worst car???

i dont kno yet but ill get back to ya all...

dan

SONIC FIGHTERid="red">[:(!], could make a list here but thats the one for me. I mean take a look at the user rides section, there arent many and those there are seem a bit embarassed.

I must note though that since joining TC I've become alot more open to different cars, when I joined I hated all things not srb but now my horizons are widening.........a bit.[;)]

For performance, I'd say it was the Bearhawk. The steering is almost nonexistent at high speeds. For basic construction and durability, my money is on the Falcon. The Lexan body has weak points around the rear shock absorbor assembly.

I'm not too keen on anything with coilover shocks, but it's unavoidable now[V]

quote:Originally posted by Scorchio

SONIC FIGHTERid="red">[:(!]

id="quote">id="quote">

The striker is actually worse, as it has no oil-filled shocks, only springs. They actually managed to make a car with less steering than the grasshopper..

quote:Originally posted by J3cubfan

For performance, I'd say it was the Bearhawk. The steering is almost nonexistent at high speeds.

id="quote">id="quote">

That's bs!

Dunno about the bear hawk, but the stadium blitzer is the same car only as a truck, and I thought it handled pretty good.

Maybe it's time to polish up on your driving skills?

quote:Originally posted by ideal2k
quote:Originally posted by J3cubfan

For performance, I'd say it was the Bearhawk. The steering is almost nonexistent at high speeds.

id="quote">id="quote">

That's bs!

Dunno about the bear hawk, but the stadium blitzer is the same car only as a truck, and I thought it handled pretty good.

Maybe it's time to polish up on your driving skills?

id="quote">id="quote">

To me, the Bearhawk isn't the worst car, but I fully agree with J3cubfan that its steering is pretty bad, and you can't possibly use the Stadium Blitzer as reference. Sure, they share most parts, but the Bearhawk has friction dampers which makes a big difference, and also, the narrow and small front tires make have a negative impact on handling too when compared with the Blitzers. Also, please keep in mind that the smaller wheels and tires weigh less than the larger wheels and tires, so CoG is longer back, adding to the understeering.

As for the worst car, to me it's the 58209 Vectra. Not because the FF01 body is bad, but because this model is the only official Tamiya model with a Carson body and decals, and a very low quality and ugly one too, even for being from Carson. No wonder Tamiya hasn't followed up with more. Yes, the Street Devil and Daytona Thunder came with non-Tamiya bodies too (Parma), but they are of acceptable quality, and come with real Tamiya decals. A far cry away from the 58209 Vectra.

quote:Originally posted by miramar

As for the worst car, to me it's the 58209 Vectra. Not because the FF01 body is bad, but because this model is the only official Tamiya model with a Carson body and decals, and a very low quality and ugly one too, even for being from Carson.

id="quote">id="quote">

Still not keen on Carson then miramar?? [;)]

quote:Originally posted by ideal2k
quote:Originally posted by Scorchio

id="quote">id="quote">

The striker is actually worse, as it has no oil-filled shocks, only springs. They actually managed to make a car with less steering than the grasshopper..

id="quote">id="quote">

[^]Point taken Ideal, striker sounds rotten[8)] still biassed though as I'm a sound engineer by trade and I'm offended by the word 'sonic' being used in vein on such a pantsy little toy grot box.

Rational[?] not me today[;)]

quote:Originally posted by fury_dice

id="quote">id="quote">

Not really.....[;)]

And before somebody else correct me here, I'll do it myself. 58209 wasn't based on a FF01, but on a TA03F. [:I] It may exist variations (based on different Tamiya kits), but the ones I've seen are "converted" Audi A4's; Audi A4 kit with the A4 body, body details and decals and box lid removed, and replaced with the Carson body, decals, separate instructions for the body (A4 instructions included too) and a "Carson" box lid. Not very stylish is it?

quote:Originally posted by fury_dice

id="quote">id="quote">

Not really.....[;)]

And before somebody else correct me here, I'll do it myself. I was stressed when writing the first post; 58209 wasn't based on a FF01, but on a TA03F. [:I] It may exist variations (based on different Tamiya kits), but the ones I've seen are "converted" Audi A4's; Audi A4 kit with the A4 body, body details and decals and box lid removed, and replaced with the Carson body, decals, separate instructions for the body (A4 instructions included too) and a "Carson" box lid. Not very stylish is it?

Wonder what they did with all the Audi bodies sets? as this IS quite a nice car.

I'm gonna say those boy racer cars with the 380 motors. Nuff said there!!![:o)]

Now to play devils advocate. Do the people bashing these various cars actually own them or are they making their assumptions by looks or what others have said.

I never really liked the Falcon. I had built a few for customers back in the eighties. While yes the dogbone drivetrain has issues, Has tamiya ever made a car that didn't have issues? After my son bought his Falcon http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=10620&id=34 I found out that it is really a good solid performer. I bought 12 sets of CRP dog bones from ebay so now Bryant can bash and loose dog bones to his hearts content.

Jim

hi

it probably far for Tamiya's worst car, but the Juggernaut 1 seemed to have more than its fair share of problems. Have they rushed out a replacement for any other car? (that is actually a question, feel free to answer)

Have to say the first car that jumped into my mind for the 'worst car' candidate was the Striker. For sheer ugliness, the Sonic Fighter isn't far off.

Again, more people bashing the poor old Falcon! Yes, the dogbones were plasticky, and yes, the rear of the lexan shell was weak around the shock mounts, and yes, it had lots of understeer, and yes, the front bulkhead could crack in a crash, and yes, the rear suspension was too stiff. Still, for what it was, it was a good, reliable beginner's car with docile handling and excellent front suspension. A friend of mine had one, and it lasted well. The gear box is bulletproof, and as long as you don't run too hot a motor in it, the dogbones work OK.

Also in the worst looks category: The '... Dragon' cars I found particularly offensive to the eye. Hated the wedge shaped shells.

- James

Hi@all!

Where do you lock on with your opinions? On experience, on the looks of a car? I can only decide if a car is worse, when I know how it runs. Otherwise it must have said "Which is the worse looking car?". And now there comes Mr. Heretic: From my point of view I must say my worst experience was the Porsche 959. Many of you will howl like wolfes when reading this, but I can prove that for me. I ran it, it performed not as I expected, and it was expensive. Now to explain it better: The car itself isn't bad, very interesting chassis and technical features, but from my point of view (I need real 4x4 vehicles or Monsters, not a converted flounder) this car is useless. But my mind hasn't completely set, when I tried the Porsche, after that my mind was made. But there are other vehicles I would never buy just for the looks: Sonic Fighter -yes, I agree-; Bush Devil -what a ugly shell-; Striker -like the Sonic Fighter-. I cannot say that I have had real bad expereinces with any car I owned: Grasshopper, Hornet, Midnight Pumpkin, Clod Buster, Bruiser, Pajero Metaltop Wide, ... I believe it's merely a question of taste. Any model has it's weakpoints, no model is absolutely trash. About the first flight of Tamiya's Juggernaut I am willing to talk about, it's the only upgraded vehicle I ever heard of. And I guess that is real bad, a model that needs an upgrade. And as we all see the upgrade seems to have been liable for costs, that is not acceptable in my eyes, when Tamiya made a production fault!

Regards, Martin

Sorry Martin, but for the first time I will disagree with you, think that the Porsche 959 and Celica Gr.B handle very well, at least compared to the cars of that era. Have you seen a Tamiya video with a 959 drifting in a curve, its the best drift I have ever seen in an old Tamiya video [8D]! Ok, terrain is a bit hard to find for them, but they need what the much later invented Rallye category needs, pretty smooth off road track. I never had one back then in their era (had the Shot based Boomerang back then) and must say also had my doubts about their useability, but since I have restored/built and driven them recenty I must say they are marvels of engineering, IMHO one of best RC kits ever which Tamiya could (not too many metal parts and no ABS body) and should re-release.

Of course just a personal and propably biased opinion, but as they say in the Mini commercial: "Is it love?" Yes it is![:D]

Cheers

How about for this as the worst Tamiya car...

Avante

Speaking as a racer, the car was a complete disaster, hugely overengineered, fussy design features that didn't even work, not very strong, absurdly expensive. As Tamiya's attempt to set the 4wd racing world alight it was dreadful compared to the Cats, Dog's and Kyosho's it was up against. Even the massively modified Egress (plastic parts, longer wheelbase, new shocks, titanium parts etc.) wasn't up to scratch (I actually had the cheaper Avante 2001 and thought it was great, but that was when I was 14 and didn't realise how much performance I was missing out on).

quote:Originally posted by DJTheo

Sorry Martin, but for the first time I will disagree with you, think that the Porsche 959 and Celica Gr.B handle very well, at least compared to the cars of that era. Have you seen a Tamiya video with a 959 drifting in a curve, its the best drift I have ever seen in an old Tamiya video [8D]! Ok, terrain is a bit hard to find for them, but they need what the much later invented Rallye category needs, pretty smooth off road track.

id="quote">id="quote">

That's what I expected, and as I wrote later, I don't think the car was bad at all ... but it never met my expectations. So for me it was a real bad decision buying it. I never had any trouble with the models that followed, so I may count one to one and say the Porsche is bad (Just to be in opposition), knowing that most people wouldn't agree. I wrote that deliberately offending.

Regards, Martin

Gotta love what they say about the Stiker in the old guide books: "Designed for rugged use, low maintenance and lots of enjoyment in the wilds." - LOL, take one look at it and it looks like it'll break as soon as you give it some gas[:P]

As for the Falcon: "Pick up this lightweight warrior inspired by that great bird of prey, and go game hunting on the track." - Does that mean it can hit something at speed and not have the whole front end snap off?[}:)]

Still, I'd have a Falcon over a Striker any day [:)]

I would have to say mad bull is the worst I have seen. Its incredibly difficult to thread the tapping screws into the plastic, and this is meant for kids! Once assembled, some of the screws loosen up because the plastic is soo hard, it dosent grip them. Tires are so big that the car has no acceleration. Tires are so big and gear ratio is badly matched. Under full throttle, the motor will draw enough current to starve the steering servo of current if the stock msc is used. The old original hornet was much better in every aspect.

MY First Was a FX-10, Was a great biginers buggy. had issues with terrible front handling, the dogbones, were easly destroyed with pro-longed use(only the stock 540 was ever used.) the gearbox however was indestructable.

I know I know not really Tamiya, But Made By Tamiya fer Futaba.

I know I'll get flamed for saying this, but I never saw the attraction of the Sand Rover and the Holiday Buggy. They just look like cheap plastic toys.

- James