Sign in to follow this  
Dauntless

Twin Detonator steering servo and arm

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm posting this in the correct subforum. Apologies if not.

I've been given a Tamiya Twin Detonator which needs a little work.

The steering servo is a Sanwa SRM102. The splines on the servo and the arm are stripped out. I haven't been able to find the specs of this servo, so any suggestions on what to replace it with will be welcomed.

Also I haven't been able to find a replacement steering arm, can anyone help with this?

This is what it looks like:

IMAG3296.jpg

All input appreciated,

Thanks!

Welcome to TC! :)

You can find the steering assembly on the Twin Detonator B-parts (Tamiya #50736).

If you have no manual, you can download it from TamiyaUSA: http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-kits-30/trucks-36500/rc-twin-detonator-58309

Description of Sanwa SRM 102Z:

http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/sanwa/srm-102z

Looks like an entry-level servo similar to Futaba S3003. Intended to be used on touring cars and 2WD buggies, but still OK for a start.

IMO, it's time to upgrade to a Hi-torque servo saver and a metal-geared high-speed servo. All this can be done for much less than £20.

I fitted a Blue-Bird BMS 631MG to my WT-01, together with a 3Racing servo saver (basically a copy of the Tamiya unit, at half the price).

The steering is quick, incredibly strong and now means that I have to re-inforce the steering posts because the strength of the servo has introduced flex here. The next weak point will be the steering knuckles I guess!

Everybody harps on about the importance of the aluminium shock towers on these trucks but the reality is that the steering components require upgrading far sooner. The shock towers are only a weak point if you have incorrectly adjusted shock absorbers or you use the truck over a lot of jumps...

Welcome!! I'm new also! Have lurked for a LONG time before joining, its a great site!

I agree with Reilluor. Time to upgrade. We have had three of these...well dual hunter and blackfoot xtremes. Same design though. I would say its not the strength of the shock towers but the size of them. You can't run longer shocks without putting the dogbones at extreme angles. Getting the larger shock towers, which are VERY easy to DIY, will allow you to use a longer shock and increase your travel greatly.

Also like Reilluor said, the steering has alot to be desired. One thing I might add to what he said, was the mounts...the little plastic ones that screw into the side of the chassis. They make aluminum ones that are far better. That is a weak point. As you steer it watch the flex that comes through the way it is mounted.

You'll love the chassis. They are alot of fun and easy to work on.

First upgrade for this chassis is a metal geared servo imho!

Welcome.

Welcome!! I'm new also! Have lurked for a LONG time before joining, its a great site!

I agree with Reilluor. Time to upgrade. We have had three of these...well dual hunter and blackfoot xtremes. Same design though. I would say its not the strength of the shock towers but the size of them. You can't run longer shocks without putting the dogbones at extreme angles. Getting the larger shock towers, which are VERY easy to DIY, will allow you to use a longer shock and increase your travel greatly.

Also like Reilluor said, the steering has alot to be desired. One thing I might add to what he said, was the mounts...the little plastic ones that screw into the side of the chassis. They make aluminum ones that are far better. That is a weak point. As you steer it watch the flex that comes through the way it is mounted.

You'll love the chassis. They are alot of fun and easy to work on.

Had a bit of a brain-fart - I meant servo post not steering post! I got some aluminium ones from GPM for just £1.52 recently.

Thanks so much everyone.

I don't really want to get into too many mods at this stage, I'd like to see it running first.

Can I upgrade to a Blue-Bird BMS 631MG servo and a solid metal servo saver without the risk of breaking other parts?

I've looked at 3 Racing servo savers, and can't find anything that looks the same as the original servo. Those that are a similar shape don't have splines or threaded holes. The arms that do have splines and threaded holes aren't the same shape. Could someone please point me in the right direction with this?

Thanks!

I would just go to ebay and get a kimbrough servo saver. I believe the 124??

I know a bunch swear by the tower pro mg995 on here. You can pick them up WAY cheap. They may not be the highest quality, but they are stout and you can buy a bunch of those for the price of one of the others.

If you shopped I bet you could get the servo and servo saver for around $15 or so.

I can confirm that you can replace to an mg servo and beefier steering servo with no adverse affects. I can't help with advising a suitable upgraded servo saver, I'm running a jumbo servo on mine with a large metal sprung saver. My saver is lf the round disc type.

Regards

Nito

I wouldnt suggest fitting a solid servo horn on a chassis like this as the large wheels will be transferring a lot of leverage especially at speed. The servo saver is the one part that's designed to give in a controlled way and absorb impacts the front wheels will inevitably take. If you attempt to beef up the whole system the stresses will be transferred to the next weakest point which could result in the servo posts getting punched through the chassis halfs.

If it worries you Id go for the high torque servo savers available as you can tune the strength of their resistance with the metal springs.

TBH I've not had any issues with my standard kit servo saver and a cheap metal geared servo on a WT01 for a few years.

• Like 2

Agree with Mr Crispy, my Kids trucks are doing fine with stock savers, stock servo posts and metal geared servos.

Metal geared on its own is the must. Everything else is just a bonus imho.

Time Tunnel Models had the stock servo saver in stock last I looked, and I am sure most places that sell Tamiya could get hold of it. It is quite a common part.

When it arrives, how about doing this:

CC01%20buildup%20065_zpszizji1gf.jpg

This is the servo saver in my CC-01, but the same trick works just as well on the WR-01 and WT-01 servo savers. You get a Tamiya hi-torque servo saver, and slip one of the metal spring rings around the stock plastic one. This stiffens it and reinforces it, but you can still use the stock servo arm, and there are enough springs in the pack to reinforce three servo savers. Effectively you get three hi-torque servo savers for the price of one! :)

• Like 1

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it on that site, however it's a bit confusing so I may have missed it.

Is there somewhere else you could suggest?

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it on that site, however it's a bit confusing so I may have missed it.

Is there somewhere else you could suggest?

The stock servo arm and saver come on the B parts sprue, part number 50736:

http://www.goldstarstockists.net/live/catalog/mobile_product_info.php?products_id=8871

The High Torque Servo Saver is part number 50473:

http://www.goldstarstockists.net/live/catalog/mobile_product_info.php?products_id=8785

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Sorry to be a pain, but if I order the stock servo arm, can I/should I still get a Blue-Bird BMS 631MG servo?

Thanks!

I'm using a TowardPro servo with Kimbrough servo saver and Tamiya alloy servo mounts for twin detonator. Servo works fine and was very cheap. The kimbrough ss is small, it don't touch the chassis. Very stable.

Thanks guys.

Sorry to be a pain, but if I order the stock servo arm, can I/should I still get a Blue-Bird BMS 631MG servo?

Thanks!

You certainly could if you wanted to - it would fit without a problem, and would give you a bit more peace-of-mind regarding stripped servo gears.

Whether it is essential though is open to debate. There are some forum members who have stripped several plastic-geared servos in their trucks before switching to metal gears, while there are others (such as myself) who have used plastic-geared servos for years with no problems.

I suppose a lot depends on how fast you drive and how hard you crash. It is also true that not all plastics are created equal, and a good plastic-geared servo will outlast a cheap and nasty one.

Thanks guys. I ordered a Tower Pro MG 996R, stock servo arm and servo saver kit. Hopefully this is the last problem to fix!

Toward/Tower are good servos!

If you have servo arm crash again, try kimbrough. I recommend it.

Servo arrived today, looks good. Now just waiting for the servo arm and I can put this thing back together and use it for the first time.

I have 3 Dagger chassis trucks, all run alloy servo posts, metal geared servos, Tamiya high torque savers and the alloy servo arm for the Tamiya M03. The left steering arm tends to rub the gearbox casing so I bend them into an S to clear it.

Once I beefed these up I've had no problems.

It's all assembled, just waiting for the glue on the servo arm to dry:

Ignore the tyres, I'll put them on the right way.

IMAG3438.jpg

IMAG3436.jpg

Glue on the servo arm? Where did you need to apply glue? Mine just bolted together...

It's a 3 piece servo arm, as you can use two different splines. I originally didn't use enough glue and it came apart on the first turn. Looking at the design, I don't see how it can assemble without glue, as the centre splined section is the only piece the screw goes through to locate the arm on the servo.

I put it together and ran it for about 10 minutes, then my friend ran it into a gutter and broke the left steering knuckle. Oh well, I'll fix it tonight. Other than that, I'm pretty impressed with it!