OzFrog84

Which brushless motor for DT-03?

Hello again

I am looking at getting a brushless motor for my DT-03. I want a Tamiya sensored motor to use with the supplied ESC and keep it all Tamiya. I tried to order a 12.5T from Banzai and they are out of stock with no ETA from supplier. They can do a 10.5T. My question is, is this a good choice or too much power for DT-03? Bearing in mind that the car really belongs to my seven year old son. I am in no way concerned as to the legality for competition or otherwise as I am not a racer but not adverse to a bit of spirited driving from time to time.

From my own experience with the DT-02 (which shares around 70% of the components with the DT-03), 12.5 turns (3500 kV) is really a lot for this lightweight 2WD buggy and the fastest reasonable setting I'd go in the hands of an experienced driver. This is also the threshold were the limited gearing options can be annoying, resulting in a warmer than usual motor (not too hot) and the occasional cogging on sensorless engines.

For your son, I would recommend 16.5 turns (2500 kV). This will give plenty of runtime (around 1 hour on a 5000 mAh LiPo, or 20-30 minutes on a 3000 mAh NiMH), zero maintenance on the motor, and a noticeably faster top speed and acceleration (in comparison to silvercans and sport tuned black motors) for plenty of fun. 17.5 turns (2000 kV) would still do the job pretty fine, too.

My DT-02 Sand Viper makes bypassing people stand in awe on 3500 kV. They can't believe a battery powered electric engine can go this fast.

My DT-01 Mad Bull still flies on 2500 kV, but it has large Lunchbox wheels and kind of an odd gearing resulting in a higher than usual top speed and high power consumption. I'd expect it to be slower on regular buggy wheels, but still retain excellent acceleration and having lesser power consumption.

Both use LiPos, there's a noticable performance drop when using NiMH.

My son and myself both run 13.5 motors in ours and they are great, just cheap HK motors with no timing but they handle really well :)

hi ,i am finding the chassis can take an 8.5 with 120a esc , however the tamiya tble02s is rated to 10.5 , the manual says that gearing needs to be 9;1 or overheating may occur , if you run on grass as i do the 10.5 will cause the esc to go into thermal shut down , mines shuts down after about 3 minutes with a 10.5 with LiFepo4 on grass track with a 17t pinion , with lipo its about 1 minute , 12t ,it would seem, is the max the esc can actually take in high grip off road running , you can add the fan which may allow 10.5 off road but, as mentioned ,13.5 is a bag of fun and allows the use of a 19t pinion to keep the top speed up while taming the punch at lower revs to help keep the front wheels down 'a bit' :) and stays well below the thermal limit of the tble-02s ,

have fun :)

The ESC will handle down to 10.5T motors, but unless you can restrict the throttle end points on your transmitter then it's too much motor for a 7year old. Even used in a large area he'll soon get fed up up righting the buggy after the inevitable roll overs /crashes . 3300kV/13T is a good point speed wise and you'll not have to worry about issues getting the gearing correct.

The problem is you only have 2 pinions choices.

A 12 to 13t will suit you and your son with a simple swap of pinions to the small 17 but will still be quick.

My Neo fighter is using a 12t with the biggest pinion of 19t. and easily handles it at our Boondal track. Way better then the DT02 chassis. This thing has steering as well even though it's a long wheel base buggy. It doesn't wheel stand as easy on the power which is good on the track. I'm going to a 10t next in a Ez run knock off motor.

It impressed the Boondal guys they have decided to buy a few themselves :):)

Thanks for all the reply everyone, cheers.
I thought the 12.5T would be the best Tamiya choice and you have confirmed that for me. Now I just have to get my hands on one, at the right price.