Nicky8694

380 motor making a grinding noise

Hi

I told my 380 motor out of my grasshopper and when I put it back in I'm getting a noisy grinding sound it's worse when going into reverse. I've taken the gearbox apart and there is nothing .I've taken then motor out once again and and been rolling the car back and forth it sounds normal .I've feel them problem is with the motor .os there any tests or is there anything I should check. Thanks peeps

Blow the motor out well with compressed air (either from an air compressor or canned air for cleaning keyboards and such) and apply a drop of oil to each bearing front and back of the motor. Hook the motor up directly to a battery while out of the car. If it still makes a grinding noise it is probably bad. There might be debris inside the can or perhaps part of the rotor is broken or damaged, etc. Either way, if it makes noise after a good cleaning, I'd bin it.

The above will tell you if it is the motor or some other problem. If the motor is okay and the gears don't look damaged, look inside the gearbox to see if the pocket where the metal shaft fits is damaged or even if the gearbox itself is cracked. I've had a Hornet show both these problems and it can be hard to detect unless you're looking for it.

• Like 1

Hi

I told my 380 motor out of my grasshopper and when I put it back in I'm getting a noisy grinding sound it's worse when going into reverse. I've taken the gearbox apart and there is nothing .I've taken then motor out once again and and been rolling the car back and forth it sounds normal .I've feel them problem is with the motor .os there any tests or is there anything I should check. Thanks peeps

Here's what to do:

Step 1: Throw the 380 motor in the trash

Step 2: Get a real motor

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit

• Like 2

lol

ive order one just waiting on it

ive just tested the motor again and its ok going forward but in reverse its still making a grinding noise

Sounds like a bad motor. Might possibly be the first 380 motor in the history of the universe to have actually worn out or broken.

Good news is motors are inexpensive and you can choose what you want in there. Have you considered a Conrad 240826 which would give a big increase in power?

• Like 2

Have you considered a Conrad 240826 which would give a big increase in power?

ROFLOL. Moonhopper

• Like 1