Hey there guys!

I may have posted this in the wrong section. If so, I apologise. I'm looking for some advise really.

My stepdad passed away a few years ago. He was a Tamiya fanatic. He had Tamiya kits lining the living room, kitchen and dining room, so they've always been around!

One of the things that he left me was a new in box 1979 sand scorcher, with what i believe is rare, a black bumper included in the kit.

I've held on to it for a while, and whilst i appreciate it's rarity, it's not my field and I know that he would want someone else to get the same joy out of it that he did. So my question really, is for some advise on how to actually sell it and what I should be looking for in the form of price etc.

I know he was a member on here when he was alive, so this was the first place I thought of coming to to sell it.

It's in pretty good condition, with a tiny, tiny scuff to the corner of the box. I can post pictures.

Admin, once again, if I have posted this in the wrong place, I apologise.

Hope someone can help me!

Al the best, Kalvin. :rolleyes:

The original Sand Scorcher new in box is very expensive.

By the way, what was your stepdad's nickname here in TC?

I thought it would be expensive, but everywhere i look online, I can't seem to get a response on how much i should start selling at. :mellow:

As for my stepdads name on here, as a guess, I'd say it was along the lines of 'Ratfink' or or 'RF'. I'm just guessing though. He died in 2010 and wouldnt have been on here since around that time.

Well, in mid June a new original Sand Scorcher in box sold for almost $1500 on eBay.

Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-tamiya-1979-sand-scorcher-hilux-blazing-bruiser-buggy-champ-rc4wd-/261924393580?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfbe9126c&nma=true&si=nvfJLcLLIsflTYKsaGNhARBjNlA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I think I've seen these selling the last 8 years up to $5000, if not more. In my opinion they should sell for somewhat over $2000, but that's just my opinion.

Good luck. Too bad you're not keeping it, that piece must be one of the sweetest RC kits to ever be released by Tamiya or any company for that matter.

Definately 4 digits, Im with Mongoose on this and would guess around 2000$, hopefully someone on TC makes you an offer.

[...] hopefully someone on TC makes you an offer.

Yeah, since I can't have it myself, I'd be very happy to see some of the friends here in TamiyaClub giving it a good home. And of course, I hope to see pictures of it in the near future ;)

Thanks for the response guys. Where do you think would be the best place to sell her. eBay?

The thing is, as much as I know that the SS is rare, etc, I would prefer it if it went to someone who will love looking at it and appreciating it for what it really is. I just think that they might be someone out there who will get loads more fun out of having it than i do.

I nearly, before i realised what i had, put it on ebay for a reserve of £100.....but then I got scolded by my uncle, who told me what i actually had lol!

here's some pics :)

2evw229.jpg

23w8x1x.jpg

a9kzmu.jpg

2ltn9yh.jpg

2nrq7vk.jpg

2ecj495.jpg

• Like 1

True classic. Ebay is probably your best bet, but don't forget Ebay & Paypal fees do take a bite out of your final price. Easiest place though.

Tamiya kits, new in box have not been selling for the premium prices lately on Ebay, it may be the time of the year, I just scored a NIB original Mountaineer for a steal (I think so, anyway) - I've been watching other auctions taking place as well, just not fetching top dollars.

It may do you well to wait maybe until the fall or when income tax returns get filed and received down your way.

You could try the Club here, with a listed price/best offer, but I've found with big ticket items, members usually are just window shopping ... .. .(The big vintage collectors seem to have been disappearing lately)

Good luck -- :).

I would also consider keeping it, it is a truly iconic item in the r/c world. Definitely a special gift to have received.

It's crazy how something that was probably bought in the 80's is still in the box un built.

There really can't be many left like that :o

The problem as I see it is you cant be 100% sure its original as you don't know the kit. If you sell it, the chances are the buyer will know and will look at every detail, anything not right and they will be looking for compensation or worse hitting you with a PP dispute. You need to be 100% sure of its provenance and that will take reading and patience or a very nice TC member to help you out.

I think it may be on Ebay now, there's one advertised on there as an original with a Black bumper

Item number 221838071400

• Like 1

If that's the case, the seller has sold a lot of r/c items, lots of srb parts too, based on his feedback .

I think I remember this - Blacque Jacque (TC member based in the same region) and some others helped his widow sell a lot of the stuff - this must be from that same collection. If I remember rightly the size of the collection this guy had that this is likely to be 100% genuine....

Hey guys!

Yes, that's the one. Unknown to me, my mum (the widow you mentioned) has put it on eBay, trying to help.....,I wish she would have told me before I came in here lol! So that's the car.

That's right, my stepdad was the collector with all of the stuff. I'll see how it goes on eBay, now that I know about it, but if that doesn't sell, I may actually wait till the fall now, seeing as it's not really that far away!

Over the years I've seen the value of my NIB Sand Scorcher drop like a rock. The re-release was just too close to the original. I think you will be hard pressed to even get the opening bid

• Like 1

Not sure if this beautiful kit was ever sold.

But my brief thoughts...

In my opinion they should sell for somewhat over $2000, but that's just my opinion.

I completely agree with this. About US$2000 is around where it's at, and I know of a few that have sold for around this level.

here's some pics :)

Did you end up selling it? It's actually got a black bumper, which means it's an early example. This is a good factor in terms of selling it.

(The big vintage collectors seem to have been disappearing lately)

Good luck -- :).

I would also consider keeping it, it is a truly iconic item in the r/c world. Definitely a special gift to have received.

A lot of collectors have collected whatever they wanted to - they are still around, but less active.

Many left these forums years ago, for a variety of reasons. But I think the collections themselves are still out there.

Otherwise - totally agree about keeping such a special kit :)

The problem as I see it is you cant be 100% sure its original as you don't know the kit.

If you sell it, the chances are the buyer will know and will look at every detail, anything not right and they will be looking for compensation or worse hitting you with a PP dispute. You need to be 100% sure of its provenance and that will take reading and patience or a very nice TC member to help you out.

I don't think this is accurate.

If the kit has simply been in the OP's family for years, there's a very high likelihood it is 100% original.

Contrary to what some say, the vast, vast majority of original kits out there, are all original.

And it's pretty easy to double check the parts just to make sure.

Over the years I've seen the value of my NIB Sand Scorcher drop like a rock. The re-release

was just too close to the original. I think you will be hard pressed to even get the opening bid

1500pounds (the list price) may have been a bit high. But 1000pounds would be quite reasonable.

For anyone with an interest in detail, the reissue actually had plenty of differences to the original - even the whole body mold is different.

It surprises me when people claim Tamiya reissues were little different, when they are packed with differences relative to other reissued popular goods. The Tamiya reissue differences are so big, by comparison to many other collectibles, that they would easily deter the fanatics and collectors in most other collecting fields.

To explain - other toy reissues often look much closer to originals, yet their collectors still pay up to 10x the reissue price and go to the level of analysing blisters and glue, to ensure an item was a true example from the 1980s. Book collectors will pay anything up to 1000x the original RRP of a book, just to own an out-of-print first issue - US$9453 for a used first issue copy of Harry Potter, anyone?

My wife collects vintage posters, and sometimes original examples of those can only be detected by those with a really keen eye for detail - yet originals regularly command prices in the thousands, while reprints are worth <$50

IMHO, to hose down the uniqueness and provenance of the original Tamiya releases, is to hose down the cultural significance of the models themselves.

When I claim there is little difference, I'm talking about overall appearance. I agree that every single part of the 2010 scorcher is different from the original but they look very similar. Compare this to the Wild Willy 2 where the differences are way too obvious. This has allowed vintage WW1's to retain most of their pre-rere value.

Many people don't care about the subtle differences. This helped drive vintage prices down. Evidenced by the fact that vintage kits which once sold at 4-5k barely fetch 2k.

It's not to say the rere's are bad. In fact the rere bruiser and mountain rider are much improved over the original.

Many people don't care about the subtle differences. This helped drive vintage prices down.

Many people don't care, indeed. But most collectors do. And that's not to say collectors aren't people. But some Tamiya enthusiasts are not collectors, hence the details don't matter.

If you collect, the details are an intrinsic part of the fun of collecting. And it's the same in all collecting fields. In the Transformers collecting world, generation 1 Transformers have been reissued and look almost identical to the originals, right down to the boxes. Only small parts and decals have changed. But this doesn't stop a typical original being worth over US$1000, while a reissue is worth $50.

Evidenced by the fact that vintage kits which once sold at 4-5k barely fetch 2k.

Scorcher values definitely went down. But I purchased my NIB Scorchers in 2004 for about US$2200 - US$2500. In 2000, I can clearly remember NIB Scorchers selling on eBay for US$1500.
In 2015, they are worth US$1500+ It's true that there were higher peaks in price prior to the reissue. But the longer term picture is actually not that negative, particularly for NIB kits. (NB: None of this relates to speculation or selling, just general interest)