Sign in to follow this  
Daves956

The parts truck

I picked this thing up at a thrift store for 3 bucks. Figured there was that much in usable parts there. It was in pieces with a bag of hardware all in a box. I've debated what to do with it since off road isn't my thing. I decided to put it together as a project to kill some time. I'm not sure it's correct but it functions right. I did make 2 new front pins for the steering knuckles so it would turn correctly. I put a self imposed limit on anything I did with it at 50 bucks. It could use some tires and those would push the budget. I used some of my mistake buy items on it (stuff the other cars can't use). Older Traxxas ESC and Futaba Magnum Sport radio with a 8.4 4500 mah battery. The motor was ok. I saw a picture of one of these and it was not pretty and sat up too high. In putting it back together I left out the body risers and set the body all the way down after cutting a hole in the bed for the shock tower. Here it is without the body and then with it. I did a tonneau cover for the bed.

I cut the wheel wells pretty severly but one was broken anyway. This was to clear the tires with the body some 2.5 inches lower. The truck is an older Radio Shack/ Tandy F350 but is pretty beefy.

So far price wise.

Truck 3

Paint 4

Servo saver 5

electrical was old unusable stuff

missing bolts and stuff 4

So 16 bucks to that point

Heee is the tire solution for 40 bucks including shipping. I've got to do some body mounts but I have those from leftover stuff. I went a bit over budget, but I needed the Tamiya gunmetal paint anyway.

Here is what it's like now with 56 dollars invested.

I've driven it around without the body. The front steering link had to be a solid due to the mass it has to push. It steers as it should, but in reality it looks far better than it drives. It's also an interesting design. To change the motor you start at the bumpers and wheels then quit taking things apart when you find the motor. It is the last item you get to and you split the gearcase to see it. All in all, I keep thinking that beauty is only skin deep, but on this ugly does go clear to the bone.

Ok, body mounts are done. I think I'll do some web surfing for Colorado Ski Patrol emblems for it. I'll see if I can find a rotating light for the top too. Snowplow would be cool for it also. With a plow I could use it too clear a path through my daughters room. The rotating light would come in handy there too, I might be able to find it when it gets stuck. Not that I'd go in after it or anything. The truth is that the 959 or Hotshot have better tractive effort but lack the ground clearance. It's just for show

I picked up one of these from radio shack a few years ago. Neat little chassis, built well. I put a aftermarket 27 turn and softer springs in it. I kept the stock electronics.

I'm not sure who makes it, does'nt look like any Nikko.

I like the ski patrol motif, gives it a purpose. If I find a set of barbie skis, they will be added. I can't find the rotating light for the top, But I'll keep looking.

did any body else see the '' BIG FOOT '' tracks in the background of the snow pic ! ;) !!

did any body else see the '' BIG FOOT '' tracks in the background of the snow pic ! ;) !!

Hey now, my feet aren't that big!

It was about a foot deep but it did pretty good, now it sits and waits for more snow. It's forcast for today but I'm not buying that.