Vrooom666

How do you display your collection?

I am moving to new home soon, i would like to display my collection. (lunchbox, grasshopper, m05 mini, willy2)

How would you display it in living room?

Any ideas ?

We display our models in the guest room, on sets of self-supporting pine shelves that we bought in flat-pack form from The Range, then stained and waxed to match the rest of the décor. The shelves are marginally deeper than the width of a buggy, and wide enough to take two touring cars end-to-end, so we can fit two cars on each shelf.

Such an arrangement might work in your case, possibly with a different finish on the shelves to match whatever other furniture you are putting in there. Or maybe glass-fronted cabinets if little fingers are likely to be an issue?

You've got various options depending on how many cars and how much of your house you want to take over!

Going back 7 or 8 years, Focus-DoItAll used to stock basic pine slatted shelving for about £5. There was space for up to a Blackfoot-style truck on each shelf. Not sure if my Blackfoot Extreme fitted, I think it did but can't remember. It wasn't very attractive shelving but IIRC you could easily get 5 cars on; you could also buy additional sets to get more shelves into the same space or join them together to make double-width shelving.

Ikea used to do a shelving unit called Flärke ( http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/customer_service/assembly/F/F50081744.pdf ) but I can't see it listed on the UK site. It was about £12. At one point I had 5 of these with 5 cars each on. Shelves were big enough for a 1:10 touring car (190mm) as long as you didn't want it on too much of a jaunty angle. Minis won't quite fit two to a shelf and buggies are too wide. If you want to spend a bit more, Ikea still stock the Billy Bookcase which is a more sturdy, pricey bookcase in a variety of size options. I'd guess they're big enough for touring cars but without seeing them I don't know.

And finally - my current solution involved a bit of "upcycling" and some spending on Elfa twin-slot wall-mounted racking ( http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products/shelving_and_storage/twin_slot_shelving_systems/3187/elfa_bracket_for_solid_shelving/970583?vat=1&gclid=CjwKEAiAy8ujBRCY6c-hveijhFASJAAcyGicqCvpA9QxLhX2k6bpRXshLSyudoKOZknQfmKF9abOyhoC7YLw_wcB )

I've got some shelves using horizontal brackets and some using slanted brackets. When I moved into my current place I spent a load of money on rails and brackets and went crazy with all the left-over shelves and side panels that I had from all my old Flarkes. I used the upright side panels to make shelves which are easily long enough for 4 buggies (just about long enough for 4 touring cars if they're nose to tail). Using the slanted brackets the tyres don't grip on my laminated Flarkes, so I've had to use some sticky rubber matting stuff from Halfords (which is supposed to be non-slip boot floor matting). I might do a showroom update soon with some pics of the new Tamiya shrine :D

As a longer term solution I want to cut up a big old desk top that I've had leaning on my landing for over a year and turn it into a deeper slanting shelf so I can have touring cars side by side instead of in a row. For this I'll probably have to screw in a stopper strip to stop the cars from rolling off, or put some raised screws in that the chassis will hook onto.

A dirt cheap alternative, if you want to be creative, is to screw some cheap screw hooks into the wall and hang your cars by their wheels or chassis, so it looks like they're driving along the wall. I did it with the buggies that wouldn't fit in my Flarke shelves at my old place.

I would look into some good quality book shelve with height adjustable shelves and glass doors. Don't foget to post some photos once is set up.

My Mrs finds storing them in the fireplace works great and makes room for more plus great for upping Tamiya sales figures.

I prefer something ikea hidden away in my hobbyroom ;)

I used to display it like this, but my Mrs sold the cabinets yesterday for £30. :angry::(

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67320&hl=

That silver beetle - is it painted on the outside, with failed red/white design on the inside? If so it's my old shell, only when I sold it it didn't have the engine detail :D

• Like 1

I always like the idea of getting 3 M03 Mini Coopers in red, white and blue a-la The Italian Job and mounting them directly onto the wall and ceiling with tire tracks following behind... so far the missus has veto'd that one :(

• Like 3

@Mad Ax, won it on ebay years ago, was on an M04L.

In the pic it's sitting on a Maisto chassis. It's been sold on now.

I always like the idea of getting 3 M03 Mini Coopers in red, white and blue a-la The Italian Job and mounting them directly onto the wall and ceiling with tire tracks following behind... so far the missus has veto'd that one :(

SO we now know who wears the trousers in your house lol

SO we now know who wears the trousers in your house lol

Occasionally I try hers on when she's not looking :D

• Like 1

I had to make my own display unit,

as I couldnt find 1 deep enough

more info in my showroom, under ukfox

img30018_13042014172015_1.jpg

update,

My cars are no longer in this cabinet, have moved all cars to the purpose built shed

• Like 1

I am moving to new home soon, i would like to display my collection. (lunchbox, grasshopper, m05 mini, willy2)

How would you display it in living room?

Any ideas ?

I've nothing to add to this thread other than to register my utter respect for your interior design choices. How about a massive Tamiya double star logo above the fire place too?

• Like 2

How about a massive Tamiya double star logo above the fire place too?

And cut out and frame all your favourite boxarts and have them mounted on every spare wall :)

This is a great thread. I lol when I see some of you letting the other half laying down the law and you just take it.

That would never happen in my home.

I was gonna display my little collection in my man shed until some theifing w..... broke into it a couple of years back.

Then i came up with the idea of displaying them right next to me in the bedroom so I built some shelves and most of them recide there know and a couple on top of the wardrobe.

My clod arrived today so I'm under real pressure to get a cabinet/storage unit :lol:

• Like 2

I'm going to sort out a display for my collection soon enough - either in the spare room but if it's not big enough i'm already converting the loft into a man cave so they'll be on show there

Some of you guys have cracking collections in brilliant displays - roll on the rest!