Baldrik

Hello and help!

Hello i'm new to big rigs well, i built one many years ago as a display model when they were first out,this was just the kit. Having done most r/c areas including heli's i'm now looking at a rig.The one in question is http://banzaihobby.com/radio-control/tamiya-rc-cars/tamiya-1-14-trucks-trailer/scania-r620-6x4-highline-full-operation-kit?cPath=205&zenid=255up53ragjki55oksnqic8hv3

This bundle includes a Futaba 4 channel radio as i'm ordering an MFU and lights should i use this radio or order a Carson 6 channel radio? What MFU? Is this a good deal? I'm open to all suggestions including where and what to buy, within reason as i wish to buy all needed then hopefully build!!

Welcome to the wallet emptying forum ;)

I've not dabbled with Tamiya trucks yet but in terms of buying..

95% of the time you won't beat Banzai pricing, but do factor the total cost after shipping , import duty, VAT and courier handling charge (if you are in the UK). Import charges and vat are charged on the total declared cost (item declared value plus shipping fee of ca $150).

Given the size and weight of the box(es) you probably have a 50:50 chance of charges. Even with a declared item value of say $150 then you'll be liable to charges on ca $300 which is likely to work out around £60. Add that to the US$700 total purchase price when comparing costs to European suppliers (modellbau-seidel, Tamico ). Absolute worst case would be if the package was fully inspected by customs, uin which case you will be asked for evidence of the price you paid (ie order form invoice) and charges applied to that true value - at $700 value, you'd be looking at ca £100 charges; even in this worst case scenario that might still be enough to purchase overseas, and if you avoid charges then even better :D

Compare prices to stellamodels.net (maybe lower declared value and in my experience less risk of charges with Stella than banzai), but also check local sellers - in the UK fusionhobbies offer 5% discount for TC members and 10% if you are a subscriber. Also check modelsport, apexmodels, wheelspinnmodels and wonderlandmodels sites as they often have offers which might sway you to not risk importing.

I hope that doesn't put you off buying overseas, as whilst I've had mixed success with charges of late, I'm still quids in over buying locally.

Go for it, but just be aware you might have to pay extra money out once it lands in the UK

• Like 1

I believe some of the MFU units are not compatible with 2.4GHz radios, but someone more familiar with them will no doubt confirm that.

Put a list together and show it to LHS and see what they can do, and visit several web sellers and see how much the package will cost. I think rcmart will have the best price, but i hear their packing is so so and Stellar has the best packing.

The package price seems pretty good. I just added up for the followings...

King Hauler

SS gas tanker

Auto retractible legs

light set for truck & tanker

MFU

Roof Spoiler

Animal guard

Roof antenna

for about US$1100.00, not including, paint, bearings, batteries and 4 channel radio with servos.

I think you should budget around $2000.00 whether buy locally or overseas where you pick up total shipping costs and your chance with Customs.

other goodies are metal wheels, oild filled shocks. All the stuff i listed are from Tamiya and i image a lot more hop ups by othet make just for the big rigs like metal diff, gas tank just to name a few.

Once you have and build it, you won't regret it. Is that nice.

The easiest is just follow the instructions and get the stuff like grease, paint, tape, paint brush, glue etc from your local hobby shop or buy thessme from you local hardware or auto shop where some of these consumables will last you for years.

I think the kit comes with thread lock and grease already. You may just need paint, good quality masking tape, ca glue and i think you already have the tools.

oh get bearings instead of using those stock bushings.

• Like 1