Sign in to follow this  
Bag Of Badgers

M-05 Getting ready for a little track time

Well after a bit of a false start to the new year I find myself sat here with a bit a of a dilemma. I need to start doing different things in my life.

I have just got myself a M05 and I am tempted go racing with it, nothing to serious I must add. Is there anything essential that I must get for racing an M car, hopups and the like. I am not going to take things too seriously as I don’t want to spend loads of cash on something that might not work out for me, if you know what I mean.

Many thanks in advance

Matt

Well after a bit of a false start to the new year I find myself sat here with a bit a of a dilemma. I need to start doing different things in my life.

I have just got myself a M05 and I am tempted go racing with it, nothing to serious I must add. Is there anything essential that I must get for racing an M car, hopups and the like. I am not going to take things too seriously as I don’t want to spend loads of cash on something that might not work out for me, if you know what I mean.

Many thanks in advance

Matt

Do it! It's great racing rc cars probably the single best thing you can do to keep you in the hobby.

Many thanks in advance

Matt

From a standard M-05 kit you will need a full set of bearings, a set of oil shocks and short springs and some upgrades to the steering - Tamiya parts preferably. An M-05 pro comes with the shocks and bearings already, an M-05 S-Spec has the steering upgrade too. A tighter differential makes a big difference too. Most of the shiny bling you see on people's cars makes no difference. Naturally you also need the right tyres and the right kind of motor but that depends on the club rules.

I've blogged a few M-05 build tips here - http://fiveeight0sixsix.wordpress.com/2011...uild-and-setup/

PS since you are in Swindon you might want to consider coming across to Chippenham for your club racing - http://www.cmcc.org.uk - it's where I race and we have got a few experienced mini drivers at the club who can help you get the car going well. We should also get a heat of Minis up at Cotswold over the summer - http://www.cotswoldmodelcarclub.co.uk

Thanks for the responses, they are really going to help, it’s a very long time since I raced, when I had a full head of hair! So this is going to be a great learning process for me.

So far it’s got a full set of bearings, and just managed to get some CVA Super Mini shocks. Going to do this bit by bit. Will post a pic when it’s all done.

Thanks again.

Matt

Steering on the M05 needs some TLC too as kit it isn't the best

I think after 18 months my M05 finally works! you should come along to Chippenham, the club nights are great.