Sign in to follow this  
KingPin

New Emaxx motor question...

Hi all, decided to have a short breather from my projects/restos and chuck a little money at my Emaxx.

Its got a pretty basic set-up at the present with x2 Titan 550 motors and a Traxxas EVX-2 ESC but goes pretty well with 4000mah packs.

I dont want to spend loads as im saving for my next monster truck (not sure what!) so was thinking of getting a couple of LRP Big Block Special2 brushed 650 motors.

They seem a good price from ModelSport, so are these a good choice? Cant really afford brushless on this one....

Any info would be great, kind regards.

KingPin 

I converted to a single 12 v dewalt motor with a huge pinion goes very well and is rebuildable but needs some fiddling to make it fit. Not much faster than the 550s but shed loads more torque. I had some johnson 600s that were better then the 550s for not much money.

I want to stick with two motors, just need more info on the 650 can Big Blocks...

cheers though.

KingPin

Dont know much about 650s but aslong as they have a reasonable amount of torque they should be fine. The 600 johnsons I had we're upto the job with stock gearing. They should have torque and rpm then the 550s but be rebuildable. Tbh they look like a good option aslong as they aren't too expensive

Honestly have you gone lipo yet? If not get lipo's first

the Titan 21T's can be made faster with a little voltage

I have a 3903 that will go a true 35mph+ with just lipo's and 20T pinions- I have 12T 550's waiting as well to try out.. after this I will be going Titan 775 10t

Don't think 12t 550s will last very long before they are toast not unless you gear appropriatly. I smoked the 23ts on 20 pinions and lipos

Mine are holding up just fine.. (21T's) I would go back to stock 17T's or even 15T's with the 12T titans

I don't trust dual motors on 1 spur any more if one goes before you know it both are toast 1 fat motor is the way to go lol.

Like i stated in my post, i dont want lipos in this truck. I just want a little more speed/torque without spending too much £££.

I already have brushless/lipo set ups in other trucks, i just dont want to spend much on this one....

KingPin

hey dyahipfakta, the motors are £18.99 each from Modelsport, i reckon im going to go for it.....

cheers

KingPin

The BigBlock Special 2 is listed as a 550 motor in the specification, but 650 in the description !

I'd have a look at Graupner motors too - they do plenty of 600,650,700,750 sized motors for different voltages - just check what you buy first because they have a lot of variants !

I would recommend the cheapo eBay Johnson 12v motors too they are 600 cans and can be geared higher. Mine have lasted a while and they were about 8 pounds delivered a pair. If you aren't happy with them it's a very small outlay and keep them or spare

IF you don't want lipo's then get the TRX 16.8v 775 10T it's $30US and is prewired so it's plug and play with the dual motor ESC all you have to do it get the motor and the single motor mount plate and gear cover.. OR just cover the other open motor hole with a piece of painters tape

the lipo's are worth it though... especially if you have the charger for them already.. My stock Emaxx will pull wheelies with ease..