ChrisRx718

Adapter leads getting incredibly hot - LiPo

I have several different 'runners' and about 4 healthy NiMH packs, so most of my cars run a Tamiya style connector.

My newer LiPo's are great and work brilliantly with my brushless models which have a T / Deans connector as standard.

Going from advice on here, I made up an adapter lead and installed an alarm in one of my older runners so I could choose between running a NiMH or the new LiPo (with adapter lead).

Problem I'm having is that the wires & connectors are getting incredibly hot after just over 5 minutes of running with the LiPo & Adapter lead.

That suggests the resistance is too great or the quality of connection is a bit rubbish, doesn't it?

I'm worried because it was 'really' hot, like too hot to touch. The potential is there for 30+ minutes of runtime with some models, should I be concerned? What can I do?

I don't really want to have to convert absolutely everything over to Deans connectors, but I suppose it's a possible solution.

Does anyone else have this problem?

In my experience, NiMHs act as a natural limiter with powerful motors, as they cannot deliver as much juice as the motor might want. With Lipos this is not the case anymore and the current could be much higher, in most cases too high for the cheap Tamiya connectors.

First thing I do with my electronics is the conversion to appropriate connectors, like Deans

• Like 1

Yep, change everything to Deans mate. I know it's a pain but you've only got to do it once and for the peace of mind it's worth it, trust me. LiPos can erupt on discharge not just on charge so you really don't want to take any risks like using Tamiya 'bottleneck' connectors!

Make sure you buy the Deans plugs with the little grips on though as it makes them much easier to pull apart. You can buy large quantities from various sellers on eBay.

• Like 1

It depends very much on the motor you are using. A strong motor pulls a lot of current. As bsy2010 mentioned, nimh cannot provide the motors demand, so there is no problem. But switching to lipo means the system has a lot more current on tap, and motor is free to pull as much as it want.

Moral of story: Only run power through a Tamiya connector IF you have a slow motor. I would guess 23T brushed and above. Anything hotter and you definitely need to switch the ESC to deans. It will be worth it.

BTW: I had a connector melt together once. It was a 14T Acto pink motor in a dynastorm. The plug was fused solid and I had to clip it off my vintage CPR unit. I was not happy.

I second SteveU30 and get those dean connectors fitted.

I did and I have never looked back deans connectors are the way to go.

Worst case scenario - the Tamiya connector melts and you get a dead short. We've all seen what happens to a Lipo in that situation. Please don't take the risk.

I know it's a pain changing all your battery and ESC connectors (been there, done that) but it's so worth doing.

Looks like I've got work to do then, probably around 15 ESCs and 5 or 6 batteries to convert! May invest in a better soldering iron.

• Like 1

Friends keep the camera handy to film the lipo fire :)

Sorry couldn't resist

I wouldn't use tamiya connector for anything else than stock motor. They are rated for like 15Amps (when in good shape) which is very low for today power systems

• Like 2