Truck Norris

TN's Blackfoot projects, old and new

I've always loved the Blackfoot. I nearly got one in 1990 but was talked out of it by a mate and ended up with a King Cab instead which I really liked too. I got back into RC briefly in 2011 when I bought myself a Blackfoot III and my brother a Blackfoot Xtreme (which I painted) as Christmas presents.

blackfoot-xtreme.jpg

I painted up the BF III body but wasn't really happy with the paint, so it currently still looks like this:

blackfoot-iii-before-stickers.jpg

I bought a Twin Detonator body, upgraded the shocks and fitted an Etronix 12T brushless setup. Out of the 29 (at time of writing) cars and trucks I have this is the only runner! It's looking a bit worse for wear now...

twin-det.jpg

Since then I've acquired an original 1986 Blackfoot:

blackfoot-f150-1.jpg

Showroom entry: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=126501&sid=43050

And yesterday this arrived:

king-blackfoot-openbox.jpg

A King Blackfoot partially built and never ran. The chassis is mint:

king-blackfoot-chassis.jpg

The body was a bit scratched probably from bits rattling around in the box. As this was quite a cheap and popular truck at the time and came with the body moulded in black there are a lot of unpainted examples around. I decided to do it properly as it will be a shelfer.

I started by sanding the scratches then priming it with Tamiya fine grey primer:

king-blackfoot-body-primed.jpg

The black on the A pillar isn't where I've missed with the primer - it's black overspray. I always paint the inside of the shell too. I do this after priming so there's no grey primer overspray. Any overspray on the outside from the black is no problem as that's the colour the outside will be:

king-blackfoot-body-painted-inside.jpg

Most people leave the roll bar and spots in the grey plastic but the manual calls for them to be painted. I primed the roll bar but I'm out of TS-30 Silver Leaf at the moment:

king-blackfoot-rollbar-primed.jpg

Primed the spots with Tamiya fine white primer, masked the faces then painted TS-29 Semi gloss black:

king-blackfoot-spots-painted.jpg

For small parts like this I like to mount them on cocktail sticks at different heights so I can spray them all in one go.

Rather than paint over the rare King BF roll bar and spots I used a cheaper and more readily available Mighty Bull one, which is identical but moulded in black.

The kit is missing bag D - the mounting hardware for the body so I'll get hold of one of those this week and order more paint.

I'll wet sand the body and paint black, sand again then clear coat.

More soon!

• Like 1

like the 86 blackfoot

i had one as my third car but as a kid did a million paint jobs stripped loads of driveshafts and destroyed it,

looking back not cool wish i still had it now

looks best in boxart to.

More progress on the King. Painted the grille:

king-blackfoot-grille-painted.jpg

I'm brush painting Revell Aqua Color Acrylics which are a Revellation (sorry) compared to Tamiya's thin acrylics.

Painted the outside of the shell and tailgate. The paint is flat in places but's that's no issue as I'll sand then clear coat. I just want to get a decent layer of black on. I've avoided the bed area because as mentioned in my Jugg thread I like to do the beds in a matt black. No point in wasting paint in that area

king-blackfoot-painted-noclear.jpg

I'd been after a set of the chrome option wheels for a while now (since way before I bought this truck) and I finally located a set on eBay which arrived today along with the chrome roll bar which is also tricky to find:

king-blackfoot-chrome-hop-ups.jpg

Very happy to have those both, I don't think I've ever hit "Buy it now" so quick! :D

• Like 1

It's going to look great, nice find on the wheels!!

Update on these a couple of years later:

I bought and fitted the chrome wheels and roll bar to the King:

king-blackfoot-chrome.jpg

The F150 I was never really happy with so I sold it:

blackfoot-wood-black-bg-1.jpg

I bought a re-re which I've yet to build, will probably get the 3D printed Ford logos for it.

Decided I preferred the red wheels and silver roll bar on the King, and after it sitting in a box for years it's now off to a new home. One last shot before it got packed up:

king-blackfoot-lightpainted-1.jpg