Hi folks, this is another project of mine, the Trial Dagger. My intent is to create a crawler car with independent suspensions so I decided to use one of my tree Wild Daggers.

The characteristics of this car are:

- Both locked differentials

- 14 teeth steel pinion gear with gear ratio reduced from 1:16 to 1:23.

- 105 mm shocks.

- 95 mm ground clearance.

- 15 mm longer.

- Four wheel steering.

- Slightly narrowed rims with Moab tires.

- Custom aluminum chassis, custom damper position, custom steering links.

- Custom front battery position.

Hope you like it and I hope it works. Here's the link to my showroom and some pictures:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...12129&id=24

img24_02012012042113_1.jpg

img24_02012012042113_3.jpg

img24_02012012042113_5.jpg

img24_02012012042113_7.jpg

img24_02012012042113_8.jpg

img24_02012012042113_9.jpg

Max

• Like 1

Will add new modification soon and will share more pictures.

Max

The gearbox only allows the fitment of an 18t or 20t pinion, but fitting 50 turn motors or above work well. I've done the same thing with one of mine short of the 4WS. It's a brisk walking pace now.

Don't raise it too much, the drive shafts bind easily and bend, especially with locked diffs, Ofna shafts are thicker, and I bent some threaded shaft into S shapes for the steering arms so they didn't catch on the gearbox.

Weighted wheels work well on the front, as I use a much lighter hardcase Lipo in the usual place

You can easly fit 14 Teeth pinion gear without modifications.

You must use on 20 teeth hole and one 18 Teeth hole and the pinion distance will be perfect to fit the 14 teeth pinion gear.

Now I try with 28 turns motors, then if the car is too fast will go for 40 or more turns motors.

Will post detailed pictures of the motor mount.

If you want please post some pictures of your Dagger.

Max

The gearbox only allows the fitment of an 18t or 20t pinion, but fitting 50 turn motors or above work well. I've done the same thing with one of mine short of the 4WS. It's a brisk walking pace now.

It's a nice Dagger! Please can you give some info about the Ofna shafts and put some pictures of your shafts configuration?

Many thanks.

Max

I used in my other Dagger some extra thick cvd from Graupner but I'm not sure will find them again.

Max

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCAL5

These are the bones I use, from the Ofna Evo, with standard inner drive cups and TG10 wide axles and hexes in the hubs.

Apart from a thicker shaft, they look standard.

I used to have a steel cvd set on a Thundershot that was bulletproof but I haven't been able to find them, TL01B ones fit too if you can find a strong set.

last year when i was building my custom blitzer red bull baja i was told that thundershot drive shafts where ideal , However i found the rcdamper cvd's to be far stronger . These might be worth a go in your build ?

Nice bit of work there, you'll definately need some high turn motors though.

I reckon if it's setup nice and soft it'll crawl pretty well for a non live axle, I'd like to see a video of it running when it's done.

Wild Dagger with soft long dampers climbs very well. I know it because my Carbon Dagger often did climb better than some my friend's climbers. The idea of this Trial Dagger was born observing the other one I own (the Carbon Dagger) that is made just for speed, so not really adapt to climb but anyway still a good climber.

The big problem for the Trial Dagger will be the half shafts. It's an absolute need to find some good strong cvd, especially for the rear wheels. But this is the last problem I'll effort. Must complete the built before.

Max

I was reading somewhere earlier about a TL-01 based crawler, they said they used a 55t motor as the gearing was too tall for anything much less, so would think with the 2.2 wheels the dagger has it would be taller still, might be an idea to try some sticky 1.9 wheels and tyres.

The main reason a solid axle is preferred over an independent setup is that when at full articulation a index. setup will bottom out the centre of the axle, where a solid axle lifts with the higher wheel (Hope that makes sense)

I'm certainly not saying the trial dagger won't work as I think it will if setup properly.

I love scalers and crawlers, this is my current project - scratch built chassis with RC4WD axles and a high lift 3 speed gearbox and a cheap 1.9 wheel/tyre combo

IMG_0261.jpg

• Like 1

My gear ratio is shorter than original one cause I fitted a 14T pinion gear. If will be too long I will switch to 45/55 turns motors. Now mount 28 turns motors.

Crawling with independent axles? This is the challenge!

img24_06012012042733_1.jpg

img24_06012012042733_2.jpg

Max

New more progress on the Trial Dagger. Front servo mounted on carbon servo stay. Front body columns ready. Rear steering linkage ready, need a piece of carbon fiber to make the rear servo and body columns stay. Checked the car with only front steering wheels. One motor doesn't work so will change the rotor. Even with only 2WD the car climbs.

New picts very soon.

Max

Here's some new pictures of the Trial Dagger progresses.

As you can see the car is almost finished.

Front servo mount is done, with body columns and servo mounted. I used an Hi Torque Hitec servo with massive Ofna servo saver.

Need to do the rear servo stay for the rear servo and the rear body columns.

Next step after this are the CVD shafts all around (will choose some massive ones), adjustable upper arms and battery stay.

As you can see it's a total mock up at the moment and is full of dust.

Some pictures of the front steering linkage.

IMG_1590_zps7b9e2a58.jpg

IMG_1591_zps457d63c4.jpg

IMG_1592_zps6802f78b.jpg

IMG_1593_zps86b69f5e.jpg

Dust... dust everywhere!

The truck:

IMG_1588_zps0c2241c0.jpg

With its step brother, the Carbon Dagger:

Doppia_zpse1db8dcc.jpg

The Carbon Dagger is hi-lifted in front of stock suspension set up.

You can see the difference between the Carbon Dagger and the Trial Dagger. This one is more hi lifted than the Carbon dagger:

IMG_1578_zpsd006ed9d.jpg

That's all at the moment.

Max

• Like 1

Thanks to Twinset this thread has been moved from general discussion to here.

I think this is the right section for this thread.

Max

The yellow rims are from Kyosho. I don't remember the name of the models but they were the 1/10 gas engined monster truck from Kyosho. The era was around the 2002/2003.

Max