i_am_scarecrow

Ooooh so much choice!

Hey chaps,

I'm currently in the situation of deciding which set to buy next but I'm struggling! I find myself constantly changing from one to another.

My plan was to go for a monster truck and pop some waterproof electrics in for some wet and muddy antics as the weather worsens. I did think a Blackfoot was the answer and as I have a Monster Beetle chassis doing nothing I really only needed to freshen that up and find myself a suitable body but I started thinking that maybe 4wd would be better.

This morning on Facebook I saw pics of the Ford F150 Baja and after a quick bit of Ebaying that car and chassis I found this little beauty!

The Desert Fielder

ltamc8537.jpg

TAM-58537-2.jpg

TAM-58537-6.jpg

I'll admit the name isn't the best but I think it looks fantastic!

I do own plenty of Tamiya's but I have no experience at all with the TA-02T chassis, are they any good? If not is there a better truck you can point me towards that looks similar?

Shane

• Like 1

TA01/2 are great fun and tough. They've also been around for years so there's plenty of upgrade options readily available. Best of all because it was a racing chassis you have lots of pinion options to suit whatever you use it for.

DF-01, TA01, TA-02 chassis have well known problems at rear gear train and rear gearbox but fortunately they are all resolvable without spending money.

For sure the chassis will be full ball beared I hope, you will need the all plastic gearset (Touring Rally gearset), the aluminum motor mount, the steel pinion gears plus some little work on the rear gearbox cover.

If you want my opinion (I raced with these chassis for a long time with Top Force Evo and Rally Cars) you will mount also the rear ball diff to have a better handling (great difference) and PRESERVE the rear geartrain and gearbox.

And every Hop Up you will use on this chassis will be very welcome from the model.

Max

I do own plenty of Tamiya's but I have no experience at all with the TA-02T chassis, are they any good? If not is there a better truck you can point me towards that looks similar?

Shane

[...]

Shane

I once had one of those TA-02, and I have the best memories of it. The performance was very precise, also nice and tough. If you want a runner I'd say go for it. Definitely. It's a great little truck indeed! ;)

If it is the looks that draw you to the Desert Fielder, have you considered the Asterion? With similar styling to the Desert Fielder, but based on the modern and highly-regarded XV01T chassis, it might be worth a look?

I think there is no comparison between this and a monster truck. If "worse weather" is your base, I'd go monster truck, the Blackfoot 3, Blackfoot Extreme or Twin Detonator would be a far better performer if "monster trucking" is what you after.

That TA-02T chassis is pretty limited with the terrain it can handle, it's rather small with little clearance. Don't disappoint yourself.