mr crispy

WT-01 projects... Blackfoot 3, Monster Beetle+

With all the love that these chassis seem to be generating recently I decided it was about time I replaced my BF3 that I sold a few years ago. So in January I put in an order with Fusion but was told they were back ordered until the end of Feb. I chose to stick with them as their customer service is great and figured Id use the time to get other projects done (yeah right :D).

But that left me with WT01's on the brain for over a month and searching the "job lots" on eBay I snagged a bargain pair of chassis sides, front end and a screw bag all for about £8. Having rummaged through my spares I found I had most of the chassis built up.

9C4D77F2-EC5A-4804-98DF-779E12D046C1_zps

I also realised I only needed another gearbox to get it finished so that got ordered up and hey presto, a virtually brand new WT01 appeared :)

C04316CC-5CA7-4522-8583-F4355279B257_zps

That'll be good to run with the BF3. I'd always intended to put my old Maverick Scout wheels on to the Blackfoot as their offset narrows the width by 10mm which I thought would look good, so I figured this chassis would eventually get the kit wheels. Following Terz1's Mudblaster 2 build with the beetle shell I really liked how well the body suited the chassis, and I had a Sand Scorcher body set that hadn't found a home yet so this was looking like a match made in heaven.

Another spares box rummage sorted out some fresh body mounts and an unused SCX10 rear mount that looked like a nice beefy roll cage. It just needed a little cut n shut with a TL01 mount and was bolted together through some styrene tubing.

F06982E1-36F3-4AAC-B442-E574DCF42270_zps

66921EA0-4B62-4321-8C00-4B204B581BDD_zps

6BA95081-F4A4-4EA1-B19B-7C5E3F03F6D4_zps

That gives me good tough 4 point body mount that should handle the rough treatment I have planned :D

The Blackfoot 3 arrived and was built up over a few evenings. I've learnt to savour these new build and not rush then to get finished, you only built it new once after all, and it's good to take your time and ensure you don't over tighten or strip any plastic threads.

The BF3 went together pretty much as standard, they only difference I made worth noting was to use washers on the servo horn ball ends to help spread the stresses they are put under. I also used longer hex head machine screws on the servo posts to help hold everything tight.

1A14AABD-DDFA-40DC-B1FF-98B3041FE236_zps

I did replace the kit uprights with TL01B items as I feel these are stronger in design and they allow more clearance for the Maverick wheel offset (the standard uprights left the tyres just touching the knuckle ends). Due to their different dimensions I had to trim apx 2-3mm off the end on the steering rods with a Dremel to get the toe right on the BF3.

86E28347-E1B0-4FFD-BE89-C03929385B14_zps

Here you can see the standard kit wheels and tyres on the right and the Maverick Scout wheels & tyres fitted to the left. The 10mm difference in offset is noticable and make the BF3 look a lot better IMO :)

C0389393-6257-48C1-BB30-C33FABE7285B_zps

Doesn't sound like much but overal it's quite a difference when compared side by side.

D05B9A7E-C7A4-45BE-B1B9-FC40D4E2CC8D_zps

• Like 4

I backed the unused holes in the body with plasticard and filled in with modelling putty.

085CAF5E-1C9D-4D89-8A1C-5E892EEFE2DB_zps

Rubbed the body down with a kitchen scotch pad and drilled out the lights to fit LEDs. The rear light pods were then filed flat and will get a red vinyl layer later.

49506A06-7B54-4CCC-A97F-3180761C0335_zps

The front grill also got LEDs fitted.

42992152-3C64-4A6E-9526-E4A947BB4684_zps

Then I made up another front bumper like the one fitted to my "Monster Beetle". It uses a rear BF3 bumper and mount and bolts a trimmed Wild Willy 2 long bumper to it.

Here's the parts laid out.

670321B5-065D-46AD-8E6E-CB87325B72FD_zps

Trim off the ends (I used a Stanley knife here rather than a Dremel saw, it's much less messy)

58411710-6767-41F1-AC03-33E3E26B8994_zps

Cut off the lower rear and everything on the back side so it's flush with just the top.

6BBFB612-409E-4E52-9CFD-F93C8CE04B44_zps

Then centre it onto the Main bumper and drill 4 2mm holes to secure it with nuts and bolts.

61C7CB64-B5F0-408F-BBF5-115CF3EAEA3F_zps

AD868A81-63D3-43B6-BB34-06D562BEA060_zps

Looks pretty effective once it's fitted.

ECECEAF2-F428-4B8A-BFDD-BAC76B1B9C8B_zps

That's it fitted with the Mav wheels too.

CD24948C-9F0A-4B0B-9493-A737AEC3314C_zps

I had attempted to paint in the silver windscreen detail free hand but it look horrible so I've masked it and gone over it again. Once it's fully dry I'll see if it works. I hate brush painting Tamiya acrylics :(

A5134B57-A483-421D-AA04-CB4CEAAD5F74_zps

That's as far as I've got with the BF3. The Monster Beetle suits the kit wheels & tyres wide stance much better :D

BDDD0D9F-116E-47AD-B184-D2235D681DFD_zps

9BC791F4-247A-4414-8F9A-C65ECC1E58DA_zps

Paint wise the BF3 is staying black and I've ordered a set of original decals as I don't like the 3's tribal flames at all. Not sure what colour to do the MB yet although I'm hoping to use a mix of the Scorcher decals to give it a racer look.

Edit: Looking at the Monster Beetle I can't help wondering why Tamiya haven't released it on this chassis? Surely it's iconic enough to deserve a re-re and this chassis makes the perfect sense to me, following the Blackfoot family tree. Does make you wonder how their minds work sometimes?

• Like 4

Mr. Crispy, looks great!! Have a dual hunter I gave to one of my boys, had wild wily arms on it. Have you ever tried that? That really tucks them under! Probably way too much for what you are after. It was a neat runner though. With 1.9's really looks scale. He also has a Blackfoot III. Loads of fun with a 15 turn brushed in it.

The Beetle shell does indeed look great on the WT01 chassis.

A few people seem to comment on the wheelbase looking wrong with the Blackfoot shell and I agree it's not quite right. While messing about the other day wondering what my Wild Commando wheels would look like on the WT01 (after seeing Brom's insane clod shod WT01) I messed about offering them up. I then plonked the Bruiser shell on top, although the mountings would need sorting to suit, it actually suits the wheelbase perfectly imho and maybe another take on this chassis!! The 1:8 Wild Commando wheels on the other hand would require further spacing to not interfere with the chassis!

med_gallery_28308_3756_481150.jpg

Cheers

Nito

I don't have too much of a problem with the wheelbase not matching the bodyshell, it's close enough for me and it is a monster truck rather than a scale build. Personally I don't like the amount of rear overhang on that photo above.

Today while waiting on the decals I got the windscreen and fog lights fitted, just got the LEDs to wire up and sort the interior. Took a couple of pics in the sun and noticed I might have inadvertently built Marty McFlys pick up truck from the end of Back to the Future :D

2CA09519-4148-4859-95F1-A6018008F04C_zps

32F1518B-4B1F-42C8-841F-B6EC6A8541A7_zps

22C6478A-13E1-4E26-9C60-A3B05E5488AF_zps

Bit late to enter it into the Winter Build off? :)

• Like 2

Looks great Nic . Now all you need now is for Biff to give it a good coat of wax lol

• Like 1

2 coats of wax!

Looking good. The wheelbase thing doesn't bother me too much either tbh, that Bruiser back end does look a bit vulnerable lol but nice to know that the WT01 has the potential to make a nice scaler.

I haven't started my BF3 yet, like you bought it on back order just after xmas. I too am not looking to put the flames on it. Was considering the original decal scheme but not sure yet. Might be tempted to go for Fall Guy colours but might try an F350 high lift body for that excercise!!

Those wheels look great!

2 coats of wax!

Looking good. The wheelbase thing doesn't bother me too much either tbh, that Bruiser back end does look a bit vulnerable lol but nice to know that the WT01 has the potential to make a nice scaler.

I haven't started my BF3 yet, like you bought it on back order just after xmas. I too am not looking to put the flames on it. Was considering the original decal scheme but not sure yet. Might be tempted to go for Fall Guy colours but might try an F350 high lift body for that excercise!!

Those wheels look great!

The Landfreeder body is a lot closer to the original Fall Guy truck Nitro .

I do not envy you painting those window trims.

I find enamel paints are far easier to use on items like that, the coverage and 'bleed' is a lot easier to control, too. Tamiya paints are a bit naff in that respect.

It looks fantastic.

I had intended to use Games Workshop acrylics but I found mine had dried up so tried the tamiya pots I had against my better judgement :)

I had considered the Fall Guy look for my previous BF3 but balked at the colour (brown) and paying close to £10 for one bonnet decal seemed a bit steep. Broms right though, the Landfreeder is s much closer match for that truck body.

Good call but just looked at the wheelbase of the landfreeder at 242mm against the 281mm of the WT01. The F350 highlift is 290mm, Bruiser is 287mm. The Landfreeder shell might be 257mm like a lot of Tamiya's shells!

Cheers

Nito

Brilliant builds so far mr crispy. I love the WT01 and the beetle and blackfoot shells. I think the blackfoot with the mav wheels looks really tough, very nice! B)

The beetle shell does looks fantastic on this chassis too like you said. And you're right if we can put together a modern version of the monster beetle tamiya should be able to do it soo easily. All they need to include would be different mounts for the beetle shell, everything else is already available. Why haven't they? Who knows?? :rolleyes:

Look forward to the rest of the builds and the colour schemes you decide to go with. :)

Now I've finished my monster beetle I'm going to get another shell and do a box art replica sandscorcher shell and get some sand paws and turn it into a monster scorcher! B)

• Like 1

What is the difference between the Sand Scorcher and Blitzer Beetle shell?

Modelsport have them both, one is white and one black, can't see a lot else different?

Cheers

Nito

No difference - re re Sand Scorcher uses the Blitzer shell moulded in white . Nose cone is the only bit that differs as far as i know .

Glazing is different too, Scorcher has clear, Blitzer has tinted - including the headlights. The Blitzer also has extra holes for body mounts.

Love the sound of the monster scorcher 😃

Got the wiring done and tidied away. Simple circuit with 2 white 3v LEDs up front and 2 red 2v LEDs in the rear.

7F417436-50A5-4DA9-96C3-0186CCD4451B_zps

Decided to power it from a 9v battery box on the tailgate. It's slightly under the 10v the LEDs should have but it works for me.

BA335688-45EC-41DD-BEDD-B9B2BA3AACC1_zps

5D117DEB-B310-41F9-B78E-266D038A0141_zps

Using the seperate battery means there's nothing to disconnect whenever I take the body off. Actually it's not that much of a hassle with this chassis as normal battery access doesn't require taking the body taken off. If the 9v doesn't last long I might re-wire it to run off a 3rd channel socket in the RX. That would mean running two circuits (one for the front lights and one for the rear) in parallel as it'll only be putting out 6v.

• Like 1

Decals arrived, not bad for repros but you probably wouldn't put them on a shelf queen.

3952D46A-BF96-4150-81FF-F7D2D805816F_zps

Precut makes things easy though so 20 mins with the windowlene and a hair dryer got me this :)

35618EDC-2E3C-4E9C-860A-0B74B4DFB58F_zps

40EF9A1F-30DF-4A06-8517-5BD72A1D24BF_zps

The bonnet decal shows how thick they are so it doesn't take to contour shapes easily even with the hair dryer treatment.

F6A5DE03-C59C-4E15-B5B9-3C1D46052DFE_zps

It's fine for a runner though and overall looks great with those wheels and tyres.

Need a Sunday run me thinks :)

• Like 3

Those decals really do look so much better than the BFIII ones. What do you mean by windowlene? Did you use a detergent/water mix on these?

Cheers

Nito

Love it mr crispy! Now that's how they should have done a bf3. The bf3 decals look good, but not that good. The maverick wheels suit it down to the ground.

You're making me want another. :lol:

Windolene is a house hold glass cleaning spray, it's great for wiping the body down just before appling the decals and you can also use it to wet the surface and reposition the decal.

Terz1 - I agree, it wouldve looked a lot better if they gave it the orginal BF decals and just called it a re-release.

I was thinking to sell the BF3 decal sheet on eBay but those rear lights were too tempting. So here's how the LEDs look through them :)

E8859859-7B98-4F24-8955-6E81A8F3DFB1_zps

• Like 1