SteveB

Best re-release for racing?

Hi all.

Way back when I was kid in the 80's and first got into RC, I only ever had Tamiya models (Falcon, Monster Beetle, Clodbuster, Thundershot, King Cab). I got back into RC a few years ago, and now race both indoors and outdoors, and still like to use a Tamiya models when I can (I have a TRF503 buggy, TRF417X TC, and 2x M-05 Pro, as well as models from other manufacturers).

Having seen the emergence of the 'vintage' buggy class in offroad recently, I quite fancy having a go, but obviously with a Tamiya! I could go down the route of getting a genuine vintage Tamiya racing buggy, but I want something that isn't going to cost the earth, and neither will the spares (if they are even available), so that leads me to the re-release kits.

The question is, which kit is going to actually be anything like competitive on the track? The first choice seems to be the Egress, but is anything else worth considering, like the Avante, Hot Shot or Super Hot Shot, or even one of the cheaper 2WD kits like the Novafox? Bear in mind though, that for my local vintage class races at least, it will be up against a mix of 2WD and 4WD buggies, with real Tamiya vintage racers like the Top Force, Astute, Dyna Storm, as well as models from Associated, Schumacher, Kyosho, etc.

Thanks

:)

To answer the question - which re-release kit is the fastest on a track? I think you would be looking at the Egress or similar as you suggest. But to answer the other question - what should you get? Go with the most fun. I've had a really great time with my Wild One in vintage racing. It isn't as fast as a Dyna Storm or Top Force, but it is a lot further from modern designs as well. Vintage racing is great but personally I'd rather not see it turn into the RC10 and Top Force class, which it will if people are only concerned with the fastest car that will comply with the entry requirements.

359g4k1.jpg

• Like 4

I guess what I am looking for is something that will be fun to drive on the track, but also be able to get around said track reasonably quickly, without either falling to pieces or needing major mods to make it race worthy. It will be used on an outdoor bumpy astro track (without any significant jumps though), but also on an indoor multi-surface track that will have reasonably large jumps.

I had thought of the Wild One, which I have to say looks fantastic, but thought that whilst it would be fine on the bumpy astro track, it would struggle on larger jumps with the limited suspension travel? Unfortunately there aren't enough entries locally to have seperate scale vintage/racer vintage classes.

If the Wild One gets consideration, I think the Fast Attack Vehicle does, too, being even further removed from modern kits. With its plastic upper shell and friction dampers it is probably slower than the Wild One yet is still reasonably fast.

Barring that, a Hotshot (if it lasts) would be a great conversation-starter, and that would get you driving a Tamiya that was for a short while a genuine threat in off-road RC car racing.

My choice would be either the re-release of the RC10 classic, or the RC10 Worlds.. No need to hop them up, just build and race them as the factory intended...

If you are dead keen on it being a Tamiya, then as Wez Li suggested, Manta Ray, or even better still, a Top Force (re-re or genuine)...

What about a Stadium Blitzer??

Boomerang. Or if you're out and able to spend some $$ perhaps you'd consider one Avante.

Heck, I've even heard the new Avante-based truggy Vajra is a great runner. ;)

Guess the vintage class should be all about fun, otherwise it will close down faster, than it came in.

I am very happy with my Super Hotshot. Add some other tires, and you have a nice runner.

On the 2wd side, I am happy with my Novafox. It drives fairly good, but the FAV/Wild One would also be great choices. The advantage will probably come out to the Wild One, over the FAV, as it is way more easy to access the electronics.

Manta Ray B)

Makes the most sense to me. Infinitely tuneable.

Vintage racing is great but personally I'd rather not see it turn into the RC10 and Top Force class, which it will if people are only concerned with the fastest car that will comply with the entry requirements.

This is generally what happens with people who want to be competitive though - a friend of mine races production pre-1986 motorcycles and the grid is basically full of Yamaha FZ600s as that's the quickest bike from the era for racing purposes... If you want to be different then you will probably find you will struggle to be competitive...

Shame though :(

• Like 1

Depends if you want to be competetive or have fun. if you want to win then I would go for something like a ProCat if you can find one. If it has to be tamiya then an Egress or top force is likely to be most competetive. Are there rules on motor / battery limits. If it's just a few friends getting together for a bit of fun and not limits on batteries or ESC then I would pick something llike a hotshot that people would probably consider uncompetetive and then pile the brushless motor and big power cells in it :). A Clod buster will fly on 4S LiPo ;)

• Like 1

That's why I have a "racing" Lunchbox for silver can powered vintage racing - much more fun to try and "not come last" than it is to chase that extra 10th of second a lap - IMO :)

Cant wait to try it out at A1 on Sunday :D

• Like 3

As far as rules go for the vintage class that I want to race in, the original kit release date must be pre 2000 (or a re-release of a pre 2000 kit), but you can use whatever electronics you like, and whatever tyres you like.

I was the thinking of using a spare Reedy Sonic 10.5T motor that I have (I wouldn't use any ESC timing though, it would be in blinky mode), but which models would cope with this power without any problems? I am fairly certain that some would have the transmission destroyed in no time at all...

As far as rules go for the vintage class that I want to race in, the original kit release date must be pre 2000 (or a re-release of a pre 2000 kit), but you can use whatever electronics you like, and whatever tyres you like.

I was the thinking of using a spare Reedy Sonic 10.5T motor that I have (I wouldn't use any ESC timing though, it would be in blinky mode), but which models would cope with this power without any problems? I am fairly certain that some would have the transmission destroyed in no time at all...

I run my re-re hotshot on an EzRun 10.5T 4000Kv motor and 2S LiPO it's been fine so far, but I haven't used it that much.

That's why I have a "racing" Lunchbox for silver can powered vintage racing - much more fun to try and "not come last" than it is to chase that extra 10th of second a lap - IMO :)

Cant wait to try it out at A1 on Sunday :D

This sounds the way to go with vintage racing. Get which ever you want/like the look of and modify it to what the rules allow and just enjoy the race and see how far you can get up the field.

It sounds like you've got the competitive racing covered with your other models and race series. I love the hornet. :)

Again, both the re-release RC10 Classic or RC10 Worlds would cope with a 10.5 brushless motor just fine... ;-)

With the Tamiya models, in addition to the gearbox coping with the extra power of a 10.5 brushless, you must also consider how the car will handle with the extra speed... Imagine a 10.5 brushless powered Hornet... LOL.. I feel that the gearbox would cope just fine, but keeping it on the track is another question.. LOL

What is the surface that you will be racing on? If its a "high traction" surface such as carpet, then maybe you would want to look at cars that have a slipper clutch to save the driveline some of the shocks when landing off jumps etc...

Again, both the re-release RC10 Classic or RC10 Worlds would cope with a 10.5 brushless motor just fine... ;-)With the Tamiya models, in addition to the gearbox coping with the extra power of a 10.5 brushless, you must also consider how the car will handle with the extra speed... Imagine a 10.5 brushless powered Hornet... LOL.. I feel that the gearbox would cope just fine, but keeping it on the track is another question.. LOLWhat is the surface that you will be racing on? If its a "high traction" surface such as carpet, then maybe you would want to look at cars that have a slipper clutch to save the driveline some of the shocks when landing off jumps etc...

The racing surface will be high grip astro outdoors, and for indoors a mix of high grip carpet and slippy polished floor.

I am beginning to realise that fun and competitive are almost mutually exclusive, in that I either get something fun that I will have to take it easy with, or get something purely race oriented. I do still only want to use a Tamiya model though, and as good as the RC10 is, 'my' vintage is purely Tamiya.

I do know where I can get a very good condition Top Force Evolution from though, for less than the cost of getting a new re-re Egress kit from overseas, but my concern is the availability and cost of TFE parts, if (when) something needs replacing.

Top Force evo hands down then. Not many parts you can't get for them at all!

Mad Racer won an A main with one in 2005 against modern machinery so yes they are capable lol

I am beginning to realise that fun and competitive are almost mutually exclusive, in that I either get something fun that I will have to take it easy with, or get something purely race oriented. I do still only want to use a Tamiya model though, and as good as the RC10 is, 'my' vintage is purely Tamiya.

Steve, I can appreciate that you want to run a Tamiya, but when you said that you wanted to run a 10.5 brushless motor, I got the feeling that you were more of a competitive racer, than you were a nostalgic one..

The sad thing is that Tamiya didn't really make that many dedicated race cars, most of their cars were aimed at the entry level market or hobbyist..

I love my Tamiya's as well, and if I was to choose one of their offerings to race for FUN in a Vintage class, then it would be a Frog, as it was the car that got me started in RC racing.. However, if I was looking for a buggy to race and be competitive, then sadly it would not be a Tamiya, it would be an RC10....

I do know where I can get a very good condition Top Force Evolution from though, for less than the cost of getting a new re-re Egress kit from overseas, but my concern is the availability and cost of TFE parts, if (when) something needs replacing.

If the Top Force meets the age requirements for your vintage class, then I say go with it.. Whilst I have not raced one myself, I know of a few that have, and have done quite well with them on the vintage scene... It may be worth looking on eBay to see if you can pick up a Manta Ray or re-re Top Force to use as a spare car or parts..

Please keep us informed on the direction that you choose to go, and also how you go when racing...

I do hope vintage does not get too competitive

This year I'm going to drive a manta ray for my 4wd and two DT-02s for challenge and just 2wd fun. I have no interest in winning anything but I am trying to choose cars that I know are tough, easy to work on and share common parts etc as that makes the pit area more fun too... I have more fun talking about cars sometimes then I do driving them.

I will be getting a re re hotshot and a nova fox for the summer but not sure if I'll take the, to events...

If I were to go high end I'd go top force as it shares many parts with the manta ray... I'd also almost sell a limb for a madcap....

Oh and of course a wheelie.. My farm king will be finished soon....

K

In my 80's Tamiya era, I was purely a 'basher', I never did any competitive racing, only driving my RC models with friends, making our own tracks/areas out of whatever environment we were in. Now though, I am purely a racer, I don't 'bash' at all unfortunately, as I really don't want to take my prized race machines out into the wild!

If the vintage classes I plan to race in were full of models like the Frog, Lunchbox, Wild One, etc., then I would definately just go for something that was fun and try to wrangle it around the track. But, the entants in the vintage class at the latest round of my local clubs indoor winter series are shown in the attached photo, so I think the way forward is clear.

I may just have to get something fun as well and see if I can start a trend... :)

post-24628-0-07821000-1419280046_thumb.j

• Like 1

If I were to go high end I'd go top force as it shares many parts with the manta ray... I'd also almost sell a limb for a madcap....

K

I didn't realise Madcaps were hard to get, what would a very clean hopped up one be worth?