Sign in to follow this  
Gruntfuggly

HEADS UP: Adjustable motor mount for Frog, etc.

Just bought one of these and I'm impressed - it seems top quality for the price. And postage to the UK was very good too.

Fitted it to my Wild One: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=109564&id=32 (see last pic, sorry it's not brilliant).

The transparent covers are also available from the seller separately.

Note: I have no affiliation with the seller, I just thought it was a decent product for the money.

I think these may be the one's I have in my modclod below. Good units, but I had to get the mesh right before I can bolt the engine to the gearbox but once its in there it's a solid setup B)

20131226_192019_zpsty4stei8.jpg

• Like 1

Not quite as easy as using a piece of paper, but at least you can see rather than insert and hope! :D

I use one of these Frog motor mounts made by fictpacket for my Mad Bull to get 15T pinions working. They are good and able to withstand a lot of bashing around. The clear cover is good to check mesh and pinion wear - although with that steel pinion there's still zero visible wear after years of running.

fictpacket

I picked up one of his windows for my Frog... Works great...

Terry

I've bought one of these kits and have a question . The Frog manual shows a 3mm space from back of pinion to motor in a stock situation , and the adjustable alloy plate is around 3.25mm thicj which will equal a 6.25mm space to allow the pinion to sit in its correct place over the spur gear as the motor is pushed further away from the gearbox by 3.25mm and I have found the pinion is right on the end of the motor shaft with the grub screw just about getting a bite on the shaft . Is this going to be stable when running ? Anyone else fitted one and found this? ,cheers

I've found silvercan motors to have a rather short axle compared to brushless and rebuildable brushed motors.

Hi Greg , thanks for the reply . It's a Sport tuned , but I guess it's much the same as a silver can in that respect . What do you think about running it like that? , cheers.

Nah Kev, the sport tuneds have an even shorter shaft than the silvercans, found that out the hard way...

Looks like the kit is in the front door and out the back then , thanks for the info guys

It is only 2mm shorter than the silvercan, which is probably all the difference. If you had a vintage sport tuned (middle) you would be golden.

20150729_100457_zpssq7p3fma.jpg

I've got a Techintuned with the longer shaft which would work , but I'm happy with the Sport tuned in it , so I guess I'll just fit a steel pinion and leave it at that , thanks again for the info

I've got a spare long-spindled sport tuned if you want it - it's fairly well used, but was still OK last time I used it...