Sign in to follow this  
Acey84

Tamiya Ta02 Questions

Hey, i just recently upgraded my old TA02 and i have a few questions. Where can i find body shells that fit? Is my best bet checking ebay? I have google searched and i didn't find much. I bought a body shell years ago and recently i tried to fit it and its way to small. It sits way to high on my car even on the lowest rung. That particular body shell was i believe a HPI NSX narrow 190MM.

My next question is when turning while accelerating it sounds like my car slows down a bit. It makes a strange noise and is noticeable at higher speeds. Is there grinding from my gears in the rear diff.? My upgrades include brushless motor, lipo batteries, metal bearings, aluminum prop shaft.

Peace

any bodyset made for the TT01 (that doesnt have the 251mm wheelbase) will fit your car. also the DF03RA celica and lancer evo ones will fit. also TL01 shells fit.

your grinding noise could be the front driveshafts rubbing on full lock..

Any standard 190mm touring car body will fit on, made by any r/c manufacturer. The HPI NSX body will fit on any touring car as it is the standard touring car size. It isn't too small. The problem you have is that the TA02 shock mounts are rather tall, and I presume you have a lot of ground clearance under it as well - the chassis should be around 5mm off the ground.

Any touring car body will do fine, just don't get a body with a very low bonnet.

Any touring car body will do fine, just don't get a body with a very low bonnet.

Which, unfortunately, the HPI NSX GT body has.

It wasn't designed for older touring cars. I race a Hotbodies Cyclone at my local club, and use the HPI NSX body. The front shock mounts of the Cyclone chassis are touching the underside of the NSX bonnet when the body is fitted at the correct height, and the Cyclone is a modern car with low profile front shock mounts.

Tamiya TA-01 to 03 chassis won't be able to take the HPI NSX body. The limiting factor here is really the height of the damper/shock mounts on the chassis.

Tamiya TA-01 to 03 chassis won't be able to take the HPI NSX body. The limiting factor here is really the height of the damper/shock mounts on the chassis.

There is a TA03R model that has a lower front damper stay and shorter front dampers. Can be found on the #58220 NSX TA03R and the #58227 TAO3R TRF Special Chassis Kit and a few others. I fitted the HPI Ford-GT 200mm body to a TA03 with this front damper stay. This body too has a very low profile nose and would not fit over the regular damper stay of the tourer/rally models.

Best to stick to sedans on the TA01/02 unless you want them to look like four wheel drives. My HPI Honda S2000 190mm onto TA02RS has the nose touching the damper stay as an example. It still doesn't quite look right and should be mounted lower.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have another question. My spur gear is covered in aluminum dust from my pinion. I recently threw a brushless motor in there and i haven't ran it hard at all. I am using a stock 21t pinion. Is there a reason why my spur gear is covered in shavings? What can i do different to prevent my gears from wearing down?

The Tamiya alloy AV pinions are the finest butter you can buy. With the MambaMax in a TA01/02/DF01 the alloy pinions don't even last a battery. I throw the alloy pinions in the bin where they belong instead of fitting them to a car...

Robinson Racing or RW Racing make steel pinions that last much longer, especially with brushless. Part number for the 21T 0.6mm pinion is RRP1121, for the 20T pinion is RRP1120, and the 19T is RRP1119. It might be a good idea to get a new TA02 plastic gearset if you already have a gearbox full of alloy powder too.

The 16T-21T alloy motor mount from asiatees.com or similar is a must have item in a TA01/02/DF01 if you don't already have one fitted. The plastic one flexes quite a bit under power which twists the mesh of the spur and pinion.

Right on. I am checking out the pinions on Robinson racing website. The only place where i have seen a gear set for the TA02 is from etamiya.com. Is there any other sites that you know of that carries this item? Thanks for all the useful info it's been a blast restoring my old RC.

you can still buy the gearsets new from tamiya, they're not a discontinued item.. $15 here in oz