ibcguy

Components and accessories for Super hotshot

Last car I had was a Kyosho Optima back in 1987, so ive been out of it awhile. Things have changed!

I want to build a super hotshot over winter. I always wanted a Tamiya car as a kid, and now I can afford one and it'll give me something to build during the cold and dark Alaskan winter.

I dont own any gear anymore. I'll just be doing some light bashing so dont need top of the line. This is what i'm thinking:

HK orange GT-2 with a spare receiver and ubec

Imax B6ac charger

Ternigy 7.2v 4200 mah nimh bat

Will these componts work well with the stock tamiya esc, as well as with each other? Any limitations to this set-up, or other considerations for someone getting back in after 30 years? I'm open to suggestions but trying to keep everything under 400 USD, shipped.

Thanks guys. Looking forward to putting the order in soon so I'll have everthing before winter. Pretty excited!

Oh, any thoughts about going with 8.4v batteries instead?

Firstly - super choice. The Super Hotshot is a great fun runner. It does suffer from understeer at speed and bump steer, but it's a stable compliant off roader.

Pretty sure that gear would all be fine with the standard kit GT tuned motor and ESC. You need to make sure you get a steering servo with it.

For the 8.4V battery, the Super Shot itself can physically use it, but you will either need to do a bit of modding to add a battery retainer to keep the longer battery in, or get the vintage 8.4V battery holder hopup #50296 with the extended battery holders. You can then use an 8.4V NiMh pack with the extra cell on the end. However, the kit supplied TEU-105BK ESC has an upper rating of 7.2V, so you would be pushing it and may thermal it with the extra voltage.

You would ideally need another higher rated brushed ESC, but if you go that route, I would say that brushless is the way to go instead if you want more speed. The Hot Shot chassis cars are reasonably heavy with a lot of friction drag in the drivetrain, but the drivetrain is very tough and handles brushless well.

- James

All the gear you mentioned is good.

Get yourself a Bluebird digital servo or something similar .

I would be running a brushless set up as the GT motor is rather slow being a 25T You get better run times too being brushless and it all fits in nice. Motor wires fit nicely.. Use T plugs or Deans which are the same. Hobbyking sell them cheap.. We all at Boondal use a `12 or 13t combo with a 15t pinion. ( Steel pinion is the go too) 8.4v battery not necessary with this set up. Trust me you will be amazed and the Super Shot takes it with ease.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEEMAN-3in1-Combo-60A-ESC-13T-Sensorless-Brushless-Motor-Program-Box-RC-1-10-CAR-/161429874437?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2595f86705

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9439__BMS_621DMGplusHS_High_Speed_Digital_Servo_MG_7_2kg_10sec_46_5g.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11962__Nylon_T_Connectors_Female_10pcs_Bag_.html

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I think I'll avoid the 8.4v and stick to the stock setup for now. Later down the road if I decide I need more speed I'll go for a full brushless/lipo setup. I'm surprised the drivetrain is up for it, but good to know!

Do I need to buy new plug connectors? I thought everything would come with Tamiya ("standard" is what we called them back in the day) connectors. I don't even own a soldering iron anymore so I was hoping everything would be plug and play.

What's a decent wearing wheel/tire combo for dirt/grass bashing? I'd like to keep the stock rims/tires for display.

Finally, what are the more common breakable parts that should be kept on hand?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks again!

Can I get a quick response on the above, particularly the connectors and spare parts? I'd like to put in one order for everything and need to do it soon. The LHS is pretty clueless about vintage Tamiya stuff so you guys are my best source for reliable info.

Thanks again!

Running the standard connectors is fine on the stock set up.

The battery you mentioned will most probably come with bullet connectors . Just check it if it has the right female plug for the Tamiya esc. The Tamiya plug will be on it's limits with lots of resistance in a 4wd buggy. Your run time & performance will be sacrificed with a 25 year old design.

Tyres should be a spike type with the fronts being narrow like the original design to avoid a over-steer and will be a 2.2" Dia wheels with a hex mount drive pattern.. You will need to buy some alloy or cheap plastic hex adapters instead of the red triangle hub drive. Can be found on the bay or your LHS. This will change your roll out ratio slightly but the S/Shot has a low internal ratio tranny so this would normally be fine. Just start with the smallest pinion if on grass.. Sounds daunting but very simple to do.

The most common parts to break is the front bumper assembly . C parts tree I think

The Hot Shot chassis cars typically have problems with breakage in the front gearbox (G parts) and the suspension A-arms, especially the front (F parts, R parts).

You can get a chassis brace for the front suspension.

Getting a steel 13T pinion to run it with to replace the soft as butter kit supplied aluminium pinion is another good idea.

- J