Sign in to follow this  
Will16

Building a 'Speed car' Advice

Hi all,

For my next project I wanting to do a car that will go very fast! (I call it the Speed Car!!) The car will be 1/10 M-chassis size, custom flat 'sheet' chassis (like Mardave V12), direct rear drive, brushless. I have a few questions-

1- What gearing would you recommend?

2- What compound rear tyres? Soft, medium or hard?

3- Will it need suspension? Front/Rear/Both?

Thanks,

Will

I recently put a 9T ezrun in my M04l and it was uncontrollable, it might be better without the diff? and with better tyres but not sure this chassis is the best choice for high speed runs but it will be an interesting project so I wish you luck.

Hi all,

For my next project I wanting to do a car that will go very fast! (I call it the Speed Car!!) The car will be 1/10 M-chassis size, custom flat 'sheet' chassis (like Mardave V12), direct rear drive, brushless. I have a few questions-

1- What gearing would you recommend?

2- What compound rear tyres? Soft, medium or hard?

3- Will it need suspension? Front/Rear/Both?

Thanks,

Will

Will i would actually use a Mardave . TO gain stability lenghten it to m chassis . If you google high speed rc your see what i mean . Obviously it needs to be steamlined and well balanced so i'd find its Centre of gravity and adjust it so its equal . dont go too light as it will become airborne at high speed . I would'nt bother with suspension . Dragsters dont use it for good reason . On a suspension car the weight distribution shifts as the suspension loads / unloads under accelleration . tires depend on the surface . On clean smooth tarmac go for a soft compound . The more grip the better . A 6000kv castle mamba max on 3s will be more than fast enough .

Well that was my plan to get a Mardave, and put all it's components on to the custom chassis! Also will the width affect speed? The car will be about 160mm-170mm wide. Also the car will be run on a airfields 'Pan' basically a large concrete area.

When you pick the spot to try it out, double the length you think you need or want and stand in the middle. That way you are the braking point. I mention this because some stop really well and some barely slow down. Wider and longer cars are much better. You do need some suspension up front to absorb road imperfections, you don't want the front to come up for any reason. A blowover isn't fun unless your just watching it. In this size, unless you have a wind tunnel or a lot of money to try things, weight is actually your friend. I have several that really get going quite well and I've learned a few things on the way.

Good luck

Why not something like one of these as the starting point? Should be nice and stable at speed, and it has tons of room for gear.

Hi guys,

Been doing some thinking, do you reckon the suspension idea would work??

speedcarsuspensionidea.jpg

Thanks,

Will

Hi guys,

Been doing some thinking, do you reckon the suspension idea would work??

speedcarsuspensionidea.jpg

Thanks,

Will

Will i still think that you dont need suspension . So long as you walk the length of your run first before hand and remove anything bigger than a small pebble i dont think you need it . Take a good look at the Dragster design . Its done that way with good reason . i'd seriously consider one of these for a all out speed build

post-37759-1334143453_thumb.jpg

Will i still think that you dont need suspension . So long as you walk the length of your run first before hand and remove anything bigger than a small pebble i dont think you need it . Take a good look at the Dragster design . Its done that way with good reason . i'd seriously consider one of these for a all out speed build

Interesting thread, Look forward to see what you can achieve. Personally I would use a 4wd belt driven TC chassis. Even stock you can touch speeds of 70Mph with the right gearing (The pro's even et these speeds when racing on a circuit). You will battle with stability with a 2wd chassis. As mentioned above the only way to counter that would be to lengthen the chassis quite a bit and also fit some massive rear tyres on it.