phunki101

Top Force Evo Battery fitting?

Hi all, I've recently bagged myself a vintage TF Evo that I plan to race. I'm going to use Regular size, 2 cell, 7.4v Hard Cased Lipo's, if not it'll have to be a 'shorty pack', my questions are...........

What changes have to made to chassis and battery holders?

Do you need different battery holders???

If so, where can you get some from, or is it case of make your own?

The key point is, I dont really want to butcher the Carbon chassis if I can help it!

Some pics would nice, as I find they show more than you can say in words!!! B)

Cheers

20141031_150825.jpg

post-43472-0-04184500-1414769043_thumb.j

I'd go for a couple of small anti slip strips and some velcro straps myself. Simple, effective and easily reversible.

Ah do i see brushless, so you are going to try to kill it. ;)

Better read some post on strengthening and improving some of the crucial point of the DF01 chassis.

There you probably also can find some tips on mounting lipo's.

+1 on the straps

So you think to run and ruin this gem? I will not help you.

Max

Hi all, I've recently bagged myself a vintage TF Evo that I plan to race. I'm going to use Regular size, 2 cell, 7.4v Hard Cased Lipo's, if not it'll have to be a 'shorty pack', my questions are...........

What changes have to made to chassis and battery holders?

Do you need different battery holders???

If so, where can you get some from, or is it case of make your own?

The key point is, I dont really want to butcher the Carbon chassis if I can help it!

Some pics would nice, as I find they show more than you can say in words!!! B)

Cheers

• Like 1

Thats a very nice evo , I can see why you have upset kontemax.

What brushless setup are you running, 13.5 T ?

Ha very funny Max :D I dont believe in 'shelf queen's' cos if you spend that much on a Toy Car you want some return in 'enjoyment' ;)

As regards the brushless set up.... well it WAS going to be an 8.5t sensorless (with a 'reduced' initial acceleration' setting!!!) , it was delivered yesterday, and propmtly packed up today when it was switched on for the first time, and NO i'm not a novice with brushless set up's!!!.

8.5 T, so you are going to run open class?

Was the brushless combo faulty out of the box? if so, what brand?

There are some clubs, in the UK, that run 'vintage' classes over the summer and Winter, the cars have to be under a certain age, 2 or 4wd, but the rules regarding batteries, motors and esc's are relaxed.

Looks like it was faulty out of the box, HobbyKing X-Car 60A Brushless Combo, AND BEFORE you go slagging em off, this was my fourth set from them, my other 3 'set up's' (all 60A combo's) have been fine with no problems!!!!!

I am not going to slag, I run a hobbyking 6.5 T sensored setup in my re re Egress

IMG_1100_zpsa834b83c.jpg

phunki101, just to let you know, here at Tamiya Club, the members pride themselves on being a helpful and a very polite community, no one will slag you for the sake of it, actually konetmaxs comment was one of the harshest replies I have seen, and he is only upset because of a beautiful rare tamiya being pushed beyond tolerances with a brushless setup.

Don't get me wrong, I run crazy specced BL setups too, but only in re release

• Like 1

Nice pic Snappy!

I wasn't haven't a go about people jumping on the 'well you pay for what get' band wagon, it's just that I've always used HK's brushless combo's, they have always been reliable, up to today :unsure:

@Phunki101: I'm not angry, it was a joke.
Well, my heart is bleeding, thinking about the Evo that will meet sand and debris and will be scratched, with the lower undertray and the carbon chassis ruined and the ultra rare orange wheels all dented...

You should ask to Bjorklo how to run a cheap Top Force Evo without ruin a so perfect shelf queen model.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=74421

@Snappy1: the Egress gear train is bombproof and can support a 6.5 brushless motor without major problems.
Different situation is the DF01 gear train. A 8.5 motor will be enough to ruin, wear out and destroy the rear gearbox and gears.

Max

I am not going to slag, I run a hobbyking 6.5 T sensored setup in my re re Egress

IMG_1100_zpsa834b83c.jpg

phunki101, just to let you know, here at Tamiya Club, the members pride themselves on being a helpful and a very polite community, no one will slag you for the sake of it, actually konetmaxs comment was one of the harshest replies I have seen, and he is only upset because of a beautiful rare tamiya being pushed beyond tolerances with a brushless setup.

Don't get me wrong, I run crazy specced BL setups too, but only in re release

• Like 1

Hello mate. Did you ask this on Iconic or was it someone else? I promised a photo and then forgot.

I got the dremel out to make my hard pack fit into my standard TOP-FORCE. It isn't quite centered though which is ok for someone of my level but it might annoy a decent racer such as yourself.

There are 4 of us running Toppies in the Iconic series but they're all standard (not Evo).

I'm looking forward to seeing you race the Evo hard. That's what it's for after all.

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to seeing you race the Evo hard. That's what it's it was for after all. ;)

Now a new built Top Force Evolution is for the shelf :D not for the track. ;););)

Max

• Like 1

Now a new built Top Force Evolution is for the shelf :D not for the track. ;););)

Max

Not now vintage racing is taking off.

Not now vintage racing is taking off.

Not bad with a vintage car, not with a new built car ;)

Max

• Like 1

Hello mate. Did you ask this on Iconic or was it someone else? I promised a photo and then forgot.

I got the dremel out to make my hard pack fit into my standard TOP-FORCE. It isn't quite centered though which is ok for someone of my level but it might annoy a decent racer such as yourself.

There are 4 of us running Toppies in the Iconic series but they're all standard (not Evo).

I'm looking forward to seeing you race the Evo hard. That's what it's for after all.

No I didn't ask for it John.

So you Deremed'd your Lipo to fit the car,???? or did dremel top brace mount near to the motor???

Was hoping to run mine at Cov next weekend, but my Brushless system turned out to be faulty 'out of the box', now I've the hassel of returning it and waiting for a new one THATS if they'll change it under warranty!!!!!

This is a sign of fate.
And fate is telling you that the Top Force Evolution must be a shelf queen.

Ahahahah :D

Max

Was hoping to run mine at Cov next weekend, but my Brushless system turned out to be faulty 'out of the box', now I've the hassel of returning it and waiting for a new one THATS if they'll change it under warranty!!!!!

Paul, I've taken 3 photos of where I dremeled my :o new built :o toppy and tagged you on Iconic.

• Like 1

It's a matter of choice, I don't really run my top force anymore as I have other runners that I can use and I don't want to damage the body, if I had a spare body I'd definitely run it more often.

I don't think rc's should be pure shelf queens though, they need a pack or two run through them now and again, just my opinion. :)

My collection is so big because I collect all NIB or New built models for the shelf.

Then there are many models that I like to run so I buy used battered ruined ones to use without any regrets to ruin them. This is why I own two Dyna Blaster, two Dyna Storm, three Astute, three Boomerang, two Thunder Shot, two Wild Daggers and so on.

Max

I struggled finding a lipo to fit my top force and then stumbled upon a core rc.com stick pack lipo 7.4v. Works a treat and fits like a glove in the standard battery holders, so no need to mess around with the dremel! It powers my castle creations 5700kv brushless a treat, and she flys.

Oh, and I'm with you, these things are made for driving.

• Like 1

I struggled finding a lipo to fit my top force and then stumbled upon a core rc.com stick pack lipo 7.4v. Works a treat and fits like a glove in the standard battery holders, so no need to mess around with the dremel! It powers my castle creations 5700kv brushless a treat, and she flys.

Oh, and I'm with you, these things are made for driving.

Sounds good. I have some Vapextech rounded nimh shaped LiPo's but the connection on the end of the battery sticks out a mile and I just couldn't make them fit either.

I run a Castle creations sidewinder with 5700kv motor combo on 7.4v lipo in my Top Force and after the gearbox mod and a stell pinion, never had any issues and i can tell you, it virtually flies :D

IMG-20131103-00136.jpg

• Like 2

It is simply using a longer screw and a nylon secured nut for the left rear shock tower fixing to keep the rear gearbox lid down at high torques.

fix.JPG

• Like 2