Sign in to follow this  
swapto

Tl01(b) chassis advice (for a nub)

Hey,

I have a Baja King/Champ - chassis TL01(B) and i wanted to know what this hole is and what part might i be able to plug it up with.

Thanks,

Ben.

tl01.jpg

It's the mount for the resistor when using the mechanical speed control that the TL01 / TL01B was supplied with. I've cut and drilled a piece of 2mm lexan to cover the hole on one of my TL01's as no specific cover exists. 2mm lexan is thin enough to "score and snap" when cutting to shape, but thick enough to be sturdy.

You can use plasticard or an old credit/store card, CD case, plastic tub or bottle to make a plate and glue or screw it over the hole. When doing mods like this I find making a paper template to fit is easier, then transfer the shape onto the plastic to cut out.

Or for a more old-school look, you could find a resistor mount from an old MSC and screw that in place. I did that with mine.

IMG_20151028_093545_zpsgryruuia.jpg

• Like 1

I used some plastic blister pack material which is used to package a lot of stuff these days. I just cut to size like mentioned above and glued into place. I've cut the black tray away which is part of the chassis and is above this hole. That's so I can mount my esc and receiver as low as possible. Filling that hole stopped all the dirt etc getting in.

I also cut a long thin strip from a blister pack and glued it along the full length of the drive shaft. I found every time I used it on grass it seemed to loop around this shaft like spaghetti around a fork. This doesn't happen now. I used a very rubbery type glue so this strip can be removed if I need to service it anytime. Then it can be glued back in place easily.

I used the heat resistor mount with a pie e of heavy velcro so I could mount my on off switch for my esc in tidy manor.

• Like 1